Thread: losing fat, gaining lean mass mutually exclusive? page

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member

losing fat, gaining lean mass mutually exclusive?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I've just returned from a visit to my nutritionist with some really good news: I've lost 5.5# of fat in the last 3 weeks, but only gained .25 # of lean mass. My current lean mass is around 105 and is about 8-10 # from my goal lean mass based on what I had around when I was competitively swimming and lifting a lot more. I am doing bodyweight 2 x week with some kettleball and pure kettleball workout 1x week. Now, I told her my lean mass goal and she says that if I try to do both at the same time I will most likely slow down my fat loss progress. So best to lose the fat then gain the muscle. She also sys she hasn't really tried this type of diet, "pathway" as she calls it, so does not know if it is prone to building muscle. Now I've always considered myself to be one of those women who actually builds muscle quickly and can bulk up easily (I am pretty much a straight mesomorph) so i had thought I might have gained more lean mass in 3 weeks and .25#/3 weeks is quite slow progress to my lean mass goals!

FYI: I am eating 60% fat, 32% protein, 8% carbs currently with just over .1 g protein/ lean mass. I should also say that I am following PB 99% of the time with no dairy, no nuts, no fruit.
    So, the questions are:

1) Can you really gain muscle without slowing down weight loss?

2) Should I focus on losing fat now and start harder resistance training once I've lost the fat and increase carbs up to around 75g?
    Last edited by trigirl85; 04-29-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: amending

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    I learned quite a bit about this from the blog at www.leangains.com. His theory/method is just that and notes it can be accomplished if done slowly. He advocates the "feeding window" which some folks on here swear by. I used it recently and definitely leaned out without losing muscle and putting on some mass in my shoulders (intended by lifting heavy for that body part).
    Fast for 16 hrs and feed for 8.
    Last edited by ToniWA; 04-29-2010 at 01:48 PM.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    yep, lately its been shown in increasing studies that it can be done. and the PB and IF method is the way you can do it. leangains is a place to start
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

emmie is offline Senior Member
    This is purely anecdotal, but I am older (68) and have been very slowing losing on low carb/primal for several years. However, I am also trying to strengthen my legs because of severe osteoarthritis. So I swim laps regularly and also do an exercise program in water.

I have muscle definition for the first time in my life--very visible in both arms and thighs. I have lost a very significant amount of weight (160 lbs) and it's clear that I've also gained lean mass via muscles in the process.

I think it's important to insure that you get sufficient protein in this process, and that's been my emphasis.

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    It can definitely be done. Keep the weights high and the carbs (especially fructose) low and you'll be able to do it.

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice, I suppose I'll keep going on with what I am now and see how it's coming along and look into the different feeding schedule. My main concern is dropping 18 or so more #'s of fat so that's definitely a priority and of course not losing any lean mass in the process.

Raleighwood is offline Member
    It's definitely possible, but it requires adherence to diet and training protocols.

www.leangains.com is a great resource for this. Or if you'd like to pick my brain about it, send me an email at matt@buildanew.me

On the diet side, the gist of the method is carb cycling combined with intermittent fasting. With training, you need to be lifting heavy weight with lowish volume. Also, you have to do cardio carefully. Too long/intense cardio will cut in to your lean gains.

3fiddyz is offline Junior Member
    Congrats Emmie, fantastic result from going PB! Has going PB significantly improved your arthritis, I am curious as my mum suffers from it rather badly (2 new knees and a thumb so far) and I have been trying to convince her to dump her convention diet and switch to PB, apparently me loosing almost 20kg in 4 months and being a completely different person isn't enough for a hardcore carb addict!

And yes, you can lose weight and put on lean muscle mass, my weights keep going up and up every week and old saggy parts are now starting to look damn impressive.