Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Junk Food Better Than Nothing? page

Dynastinae is offline Member

Is Junk Food Better Than Nothing?

Primal Fuel
    So I have a question:

I practice IF just about everyday. The 8/16 split variety (first feel free to tell me if THAT is healthy...I'm sure there's differing thoughts) and I'm curious about how I break it. My job often requires me to up and go which doesn't allow me always eat healthy or at all even (I've tried taking food with me jerky, boiled eggs, etc. but I somehow always end up not having them on hand.)

Anyways, is it better to tough it out at the end of my fast until I can get good food, even if famished, or is it better to grab something even if unhealthy say...a snickers bar, bag of doritos, etc.

Thoughts?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I eat a 5/19 split, so hey.

I always, always, always pack a snack. I am gluten-intolerant and sensitive to eggs. I have to break the fast with a healthy snack or I'll either blow my budget on sashimi or overeat at supper.

Ask yourself why you are never prepared to bring a snack in with you. Is primal a priority for you?

@eKatherine - Thanks. 5/19 is pretty hardcore I've done a few 24 hour fasts but I don't think I can do that sustained. It's certainly a priority (hence the question) I have snacks in my desk, my car, even my laptop bag but every so often, I can't get to primal food. Make sense?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastinae View Post
    So I have a question:

I practice IF just about everyday. The 8/16 split variety (first feel free to tell me if THAT is healthy...I'm sure there's differing thoughts) and I'm curious about how I break it. My job often requires me to up and go which doesn't allow me always eat healthy or at all even (I've tried taking food with me jerky, boiled eggs, etc. but I somehow always end up not having them on hand.)
    It's not a matter of being healthy or unhealthy, it is a timing protocol, if it doesn't affect you negatively in any way then feel free to do what's best. You break the fast with food.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynastinae View Post
    Anyways, is it better to tough it out at the end of my fast until I can get good food, even if famished, or is it better to grab something even if unhealthy say...a snickers bar, bag of doritos, etc.

Thoughts?
    Those foods you've mentioned offer very little, if any, micronutrient value; so, in my opinion, I'd replace them with some sort of whole food; however, if you are in a state where you must eat something, other than whole foods, otherwise you will faint, then have it. It won't kill you.
    Last edited by Darz; 02-28-2013 at 07:37 AM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Where's the squat video?

@RichMahogany - Never let die, eh? Good memory. I posted in that forum that I injured my achilles so am taking a hiatus on heavy lifting for a while. It's been good actually, I'll have to join another gym (I recently bought a house about 40 miles from my last one) or get some home equipment. In the meantime I'm doing bodyweight stuff and yoga. Been using this resource for bodyweight and circuits: Travel WoDs - CrossFit Plano

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think you'd be better off breaking the fast with healthier food. If you can choose the least objectionable junk food item you might do okay, such as the trail mix or a bag of nuts rather than donuts, cookies or candy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    A lot depends on how often, your general health, etc. At 17, I would fast once a week from after Sunday dinner to Monday dinner. I almost always broke the fast by meeting friends at the local pizzaria and having a couple of slices of gooey, oily pizza. 40 years later, and the thought of that being the first thing I put into myself after a 24 hour fast is horrifying.

The foods you mention however in terms of primal are some of the worst. Lots of chemicals, HFCS, bad oils in the chips, etc. Maybe the better alternative is to always have a snack with you so you don't have to make that decision. Canned fish, hb eggs, jerky. Even some kind of shake or broth in a thermos.

OTOH, young bodies can take a lot. I broke my teenage vegetarian experiment with a bologna sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise and never felt a thing except, "Yum."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    If my options were to eat nothing or eat Snickers and Doritos over the course of a day, I'd eat nothing.

If my options were to eat nothing or eat Snickers and Doritos over the course of a week, I'd eat Snickers and Doritos.

I'll go up to 36 hours without food if need be. I won't go longer. At that point, give me SOMETHING. If your job takes you on the road a lot where there are literally zero options other than chips and candy, I suggest you practice fasting through lunch and make it a regular thing. If you can at least grab some raw almonds or some fruit or yogurt, no worries. Nearly all 7/11's and the like sell loose fruit and bagged nuts.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Starkanda is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lara bars pack just as easy as junk food and even 7-11 sells them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast