Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Junk Food Better Than Nothing? page 2

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It depends on where you are, what your goals are, and how such foods affect you. If you're underweight, then anything is better than nothing. If you're of healthy weight and it doesn't increase your calories too much, then it doesn't matter. But if you're trying to get or stay lean, it can give you too many calories, and that's no good.

I've had it where at work it's so hard to stick to a good plan because I was working 72 hour weeks. In such cases, sometimes it's best just do what you have to do to keep yourself from overeating, and then try to fix any weight gain later on once your schedule is freed up.

On thing I have found however, is that if you get stuck in a situation where you simply don't have the convenience of preparing your own food and you have to eat out, counting calories actually works wonders no matter where you eat. It's very helpful in managing to keep from gaining weight. But if you have to eat like that every day, forget cutting, unless you're plain old crazy and want to will power your way through it. Because junk food has WAY too many calories, and so if you try to restrict calories while eating junk food, you're going to be hungry as ever, because the volume of food you're eating is going to be VERY small.

I hope that helps. I'm just saying, with calories being equal, it generally won't matter. But it's a lot easier to get and stay lean if you're eating better foods. And you also feel a lot better too, more ful, more satisfied, etc..

But this brings me to the realization that a flexible dieter will always be the most successful. When busy or when traveling or what ever, if you can't make what food is available work for you than you'll never be successful.

Zach is offline Banned
    Buy a cooler or insulated backpack or anything you could carry with you. There are tons of non perishable items you could carry with.

Jerky, nuts, nut butters, seeds, fruit, good bread, jams, cheese, dried fruit, veggies. Hell there are plenty of dishes you can cook up and bring in tupperware. Its just laziness if your only choices are nothing or doritos. I added bread in there because i think it would be worlds healthier to eat your own homemade sandwhiches then a storebought one.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Buy a cooler or insulated backpack or anything you could carry with you. There are tons of non perishable items you could carry with.

Jerky, nuts, nut butters, seeds, fruit, good bread, jams, cheese, dried fruit, veggies. Hell there are plenty of dishes you can cook up and bring in tupperware. Its just laziness if your only choices are nothing or doritos. I added bread in there because i think it would be worlds healthier to eat your own homemade sandwhiches then a storebought one.
    I like this one.

I actually used to do it "warrior diet" style where I'd brink a lunch box filled with raw fruits and veggies. For dinner I'd cook lots of meat, more veggies for flavor, and a little bit of sweet potatoes if I had more room.

It worked pretty well.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastinae View Post
    So I have a question:

I practice IF just about everyday. The 8/16 split variety (first feel free to tell me if THAT is healthy...I'm sure there's differing thoughts) and I'm curious about how I break it. My job often requires me to up and go which doesn't allow me always eat healthy or at all even (I've tried taking food with me jerky, boiled eggs, etc. but I somehow always end up not having them on hand.)
    Yes, IF is perfectly healthy.

Anyways, is it better to tough it out at the end of my fast until I can get good food, even if famished, or is it better to grab something even if unhealthy say...a snickers bar, bag of doritos, etc.

Thoughts?
    Real food. Of course, I'd be prepared to include 'a cooked rotisserie chicken' as being real food. Stay away from things that are sealed in plastic and can stay on the shelf for months at a time.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Junk food or nothing. IMO nothing is better than Junk Food. But starving is not acceptable.Surely you can arrange something better than Junk Food.

Dynastinae is offline Member
    I think my question has been thoroughly answered. Mainly, I was questioning whether I should break my fast at the end of 16 hours irregardless of what food I had on hand or hold out until something better comes along. I don't make a habit of this but I've heard CW my entire athletic life so, can you understand my hesitance? Thanks for all the contributions.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    irregardless
    Not to be a dick, but never, ever type or say "irregardless" again. It's not a word. The word is regardless.

Well, its a word, just not proper english. A mixture of irrespective and regardless...or so my grad prof says. Also: Off topic: In defense of 'irregardless' | Crave - CNET

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Well, its a word, just not proper english.
    Semantics. It makes you sound dumb. You're free to make your own choices, unregardless of my opinions.

Clever. At least you're not being a dick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast