Thread: Best way to "carb up" for physical event?

Best way to "carb up" for physical event?

Shop Now
    Was wondering what would be recommended for a carb source before a physical event. My normal workouts I don't need the carbs and I feel fine, but I wanted to ensure I had plenty of energy to burn and don't experience the "low blood sugar" dizziness that I have felt occasionally in the past when really pushing it.

I would think about 50g carbs would be enough. Two pieces of fruit?

What type of physical event are you talking about? Just working out - engaging in lifting heavy things?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Try doing it without "carbing up" once, to see what happens. You may not need to.

I ran a 10K two months ago without carbing up at all. In fact, I was about 20 hours fasted, and my last meal was meat and veg only. I didn't feel any lack of energy. On the contrary, I think it gave me a huge leg up on the competition.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-the-local-10K

So I agree with Diane, try doing without and see how you feel. Of course, this only works if you've been on a low carb diet for at least a few weeks so that you can burn fat efficiently.

For shorter events the glycogen supercompensation you receive from prolonged ketogenic dieting (7-10 days) followed by a large carb-up of 7-10 grams per pound of bodyweight will give you greater energy to accomplish your race. At a certain percentage of V02 max you will always be burning glycogen rather than fat so it is best to have a lot of fuel. This would be anywhere from 400 meters to 10,000 meters. Anything below 400m is generally dependent more on free-floating ATP and creatine phosphorylation than glycolysis, which happens after about 20 seconds of high intensity activity.

For longer events glycogen supercompensation is largely irrelevant if you are adapted to a fat metabolism and will be exercising in the fat-burning zone of V02 max. This would be something like a half to a full marathon and beyond.

When is your event, and what is it? If you have the time I would recommend a carb cycle for high intensity, or just continue with the fat for low intensity. The higher GI carbs are usually better than low GI for glycogen synthesis; a banana for example would be better than a sweet potato, which has fiber.

carbups - CW myth. stop it.
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

No experience racing yet on this diet, but I do trust the opinions posted. Try it out, I'ld fear a crash if I ate a couple pieces of fruit pre race after having none for weeks. Racing in a fasted state is beyond my comprehension right now, that's hardcore! I'm not there yet. Still trying to enjoy simple IF's. Hypothetically, If I were racing this week, and as a newbie primal, I would eat the foods that make me fell good, and "light". I can eat roasted chicken, coconut, mixed greens with 1/2 avocado and a handful of broccoli florets w/olive oil, and feel no bloat or overly fullness and have sustained energy. That's my meal. So perhaps I would eat my favorite primal meal the night before and depending on what time the race starts some eggs and mac nuts in the morning. I like food and personally, fasting takes practice for me and I don't think I would perform well (currently!) but I believe it can give you the advantage once youre comfortable with it. I aspire to this. What primal food works best for you? Don't psych yourself out with race nutrition and just kick some ass. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by eva View Post
    carbups - CW myth. stop it.
    I love you.

I do 6-10 triathlons a year and have never "carbed up" for a race. You don't experience low blood sugar dizziness when your body is burning fat for fuel.

Shop Now
    I like 1/2 of a sweet potato.