Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Got diet milk? page 5

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Sweet food is so appealing to kids probably because it makes them grow and survive better - or something along that train of evolutionary thoughts...
    I don't think so.
    We need fats more than we need sugar.
    But you know, this old conversation will just go round in circles and never get any where, so I am leaving it at that.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I mean you start this sentence with "I am pretty sure" and then go on to give your opinion... up to there that is fine... ending it with "so you are all unfortunately wrong about that..." is kinda silly though. What gives your opinion more credence than anyone else? There actually has been some whole food self selection studies for kids. There is data out there on this if you wanna look into it.
    Well, there must be some reason why the taste of sweet foods are so appealing to kids and this is not a learned habit, but maybe you know something else?

So Gorbag, do you know children who have never ever had it or saw their parents eat it, just suddenly start asking for sweet things?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Food Preferences: Predispositions to Prefer Energy-dense Foods

Just one part, but here is one study on the subject:

Although repeated exposure can enhance liking for a wide variety of new foods, other learning mechanisms favor development of preferences for energy-dense foods. There is no evidence that children have an innate, unlearned preference for high-fat or high-energy foods (see Birch30 for a discussion of this point). Children are predisposed to learn to prefer energy-dense foods over energy-dilute foods by learning to associate the flavors of these foods with the positive physiologic consequences that result from eating energy-dense foods, especially when they are hungry. Although limited, the findings from research with young children50-53 are consistent with extensive data in the literature on conditioned preferences for energy-dense foods in animals.54

Development of Eating Behaviors Among Children and Adolescents

Based on this seems to me the "sugar high" could very well create a learned response due to physiological change and the childs perception of that change. If never introduced to that response at a young age it is reasonable to assume they would not make that link.

We are hard wired to find energy. Oversweetening your foods is likely to trick your mind in several ways with long term repercussions. Sugar or aspartame both stimulate that sweet center, but without the assumed nutrition that it should be associated with. I would hazard a hypothesis that this does not bode well for neurological homeostatic mechanisms in terms of physiology or energy partitioning.

And I'm not hating on a bit here or there in the context of someones 20% cheats. We're just talking general health here.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-28-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I don't think so.
    We need fats more than we need sugar.
    But you know, this old conversation will just go round in circles and never get any where, so I am leaving it at that.
    Sure, you better leave it like that, because you are wrong! Try to make the kids change their inborn love for sweet tasting stuff for fatty foods and you have a great task to accomplish, - good luck by that LOL...

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if serious or trolling...

Gorbag, go read up on the commercial food industry and the addition of sugar to fast food as a way of getting people, especially children, "addicted" and coming back for more, and as a way for making things "taste better". Also go read about people who are trying to give up sugar, and then read up on why it is so hard to do so.

Yes, people are soft when it comes to sugar and fat because it was the richest source of energy... *and very hard to come by*. Now we have sugar everywhere and marketing is manipulating this weakness for sugar. So the everyday person has been raised on high-sugar processed foods and that ends up being what they "like" and expect.

Children didn't rely on so much sugar to grow and develop, that's ridiculous ... the incidental sugar you get from fruit, vegetables and MILK (yes it naturally occurs in milk) is more than enough for us.

They still get both, I am not taking away all their sugar at all.
    They get plenty of fruit, and we make things with date balls, and ice cream using coconut sugar. But those are occasional things, fruit is every day for them though if they want it.

But I still don't think they just suddenly want it if they have never had it or seen their family eat it. Why would they?

I guess I am more thinking of sweet junk foods like ice creams and lollies. Are you meaning these things or sweet things like fruit? I guess the same would apply though if you never ever gave them fruit or ate it yourself, I don't see why they would suddenly start asking for it at 2 or 3

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    So Gorbag, do you know children who have never ever had it or saw their parents eat it, just suddenly start asking for sweet things?
    So, try to put some aspartame or sugar in the milk of small kids for one day and the next day you can add some MCT oil or whatever and see what the kids prefer. You and other fatlovers on this thread are wrong in your ideological bias towards fat...

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    So, try to put some aspartame or sugar in the milk of small kids for one day and the next day you can add some MCT oil or whatever and see what the kids prefer.
    Why...??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Why...??
    Because kids love for sweet tasting foods is not something they have learned from somebody, they love it above other tastes by default...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast