Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Got diet milk? page 4

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I bet that your kids haven't even tried aspartame in their milk yet! Kids loves everything sweet, so I calculate that if some added Splenda makes them drink more milk and less sugary soft drinks and other sweets, then it gives total health benefits! My kids are in perfect health I can assure...
    "Kids love everything sweet" because parents have trained them to by providing them with unlimited sugar and other empty calories as junk food and fast food, thinking that to be the appropriate "kid's diet" in this country, brainwashed by corporate advertising and fearful of damaging their kids' fragile psyches by feeding them the same foods the adults in the household eat.

An alternate strategy that worked for me was to not give my kid unlimited sugary soft drinks and other sweets in the first place. There was then no need to find strategies to trick her into replacing them with more nutritious foods.

Neither of us ever drank fresh milk. There was no need of it.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Many kids may like the taste of sweet because it's been shoved down their throats. Like girls like pink and boys like blue...

That's all they know, that's what they're expected to like.

Sugar is a habit though, and even adults find things bland if sugar is taken away and that's what they are used to. You are getting your kids desensitized to the taste of natural flavours and making them reliant on sugar. I can't even verbalise my thoughts on giving a kid aspartame in their milk because "kids like sugar"...

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Many kids may like the taste of sweet because it's been shoved down their throats. Like girls like pink and boys like blue...

That's all they know, that's what they're expected to like.

Sugar is a habit though, and even adults find things bland if sugar is taken away and that's what they are used to. You are getting your kids desensitized to the taste of natural flavours and making them reliant on sugar. I can't even verbalise my thoughts on giving a kid aspartame in their milk because "kids like sugar"...
    Yes this.

People can drink milk all they want, its their choice, but I don't think its needed.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Nah, not needed. We did at least a year without it. Then I ran into a good farm and started buying it again. My son doesn't even like chocolate milk now when we go out since he is so conditioned to eat foods without added sugars.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I am pretty sure that kids love for sweet tasting foods is not a learned habit, it is not something that the parents or society have trained them to, so you are all unfortunately wrong about that...

If raw milk was easier to get for us, I might buy it more often, but I just don't see the point really.
    I guess my boys liked the odd smoothie, but since we stopped buying milk (we had it for cereal and hot drinks), they didn't ask for it. It was never a daily drink for them. Neither tasted it at all until after 2 anyway.

I am pretty sure that kids love for sweet tasting foods is not a learned habit, it is not something that the parents or society have trained them to, so you are all unfortunately wrong about that...
    so what is it?
    we all just want sweet things from babyhood? Toddlerhood? When exactly?

What I am noticing though with school, and my 5 year old, is that a lot of his friends have money everyday, yes crazy, but everyday, he sees them buying things, and last week he did ask them to buy him an ice cream which they did. He didn't finish it as he said he didn't like it. But it is temptation, but he has had this stuff before, although we haven't bought for a long time. So is it the temptation, or the fact he remembers the taste, because we did used to get a fair amount of crap like that. I do think its both, but mostly because of me buying that stuff. But if he had never had it, maybe he would have been tempted anyway, but really I don't know. But I don't think its one specific thing.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Sweet food is so appealing to kids probably because it makes them grow and survive better - or something along that train of evolutionary thoughts...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I mean you start this sentence with "I am pretty sure" and then go on to give your opinion... up to there that is fine... ending it with "so you are all unfortunately wrong about that..." is kinda silly though. What gives your opinion more credence than anyone else? There actually has been some whole food self selection studies for kids. There is data out there on this if you wanna look into it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast