Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplementation: Priority/fundage page

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

Supplementation: Priority/fundage

Shop Now
    OK, so for the most part, I've been taking vitamin C, 1000 or 2,000mg time released, Alive Men's Ultra Potency multi (Energy & Endurance: Alive!® Once Daily Men's) and Vitamin SHoppe liquid fish oil. I just found out from my new primary care that I'm low in vitamin D. I'm not "deficient" yet but headed there. Big surprise for me because I try to get outside as much as I can but it has been a long, dank winter here in the mid-atlantic, my bikes have been getting worked on and I haven't been able to afford to ski. So the doc is telling me to get a vitamin D supplement but I'm thinking I'm going to have to do without one of the others to do this. I'm thinking go without the multi until the D is back up. Also, what supplements do most of you take? I've been shocked at looking at a lot of the multis out there where they have you taking 3 or even 8 capsules a day! WTF? Thanks.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    D3 and cod liver oil are the only supplements I take. You should always take D3 in the winter.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I take this Butter/Cod Liver Blend - Green Pasture But likely just for the winter.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Vit D3 is not expensive. At all. I pay 19.99 for 100 microlingual tabs at 10,000IU. I take 1 a day, you do the math.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    D3 is pretty cheap if you don't mind a little soy/corn oil in your vitamins (and I don't for such a small amount). This is one of those rare times I'd choose Walmart for price.

I think if you eat a varied diet and are healthy, you probably don't need a multi. I take D3 because I'm not fond of sunlight and that eventually catches up with me mood wise. B-complex for energy. Bragg's ACV for overall health but especially skin health; this one is actually a food, but I put a tblsp in a little water and wash down the D3 and B-complex with it.

ETA: oops, didn't see the post above mine.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Here's a good-quality & very inexpensive ($24 for 360 10,000 IU caps) D3 brand that only contains olive oil:
    Healthy Origins, Vitamin D3, 10,000 IU, 360 Softgels - iHerb.com

Smaller IU doses are also available.

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    I take the same fermented cod liver / butter oil supplement as Neckhammer. I also drink this green powder drink in the am, but mostly as a coffee replacement. I'm not that consistent with ACV, but should use it more. That's about it - one of the things that put me off the Perfect Health Diet was the crazy list of supplements they recommend. It just seems like way too much.

Zach is offline Banned
    Buy a D3 liquid. Its dirt cheap and usually only contains a tiny bit of oil. I use Life Extension brand.

Your multi is probably worthless so i suggest dropping it. Almost all multis use inferior vitamin and mineral sources along with a lot of binders so most does not even get absorbed. You could dump the vit c as well and just eat some fruit and veg.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all. He's told me to start taking 2 1,000IU pills 2X a day and asked that I use these:
    https://www.meta-ehealth.com/store?c...t&subject=1268

I asked about the higher dosages and was told I could use the 2,000IUs if I want but I guess they want to be able to ramp down the dosage as necessary:
    https://www.meta-ehealth.com/store?c...t&subject=1256

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I've found that often the cheaper brands do not deliver the same, or nearly as good a result. For example, I've tried about 8 different kinds of Fish Oil for Omega-3's and they all upset my stomach. Mark's Ultimate Omega-3 is the only one that works for me. I've learned to read the ingredients and sources very carefullly.

If you stop taking a multi and take only D3, be sure to have your next blood test in 1 month, then go back to a multi. Most vitamins and minerals require a whole environment of other vitamins and minerals in order to be absorbed and useful. If they're not being absorbed it's a total waste of money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast