Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help - what do I need to adjust? page 3

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The only piece of advice I would give would be to relax.

It sounds as if you're really stressing about the whole thing. This way of life works because it is an enjoyable process and therefore sustainable.

I still have around 20lbs to lose and am losing 'weight' at a painfully slow rate. Even the tape measure is showing very minimal results, however I just bought a bra about 3 sizes smaller than my last one and I'm wearing a pair of jeans today that a month ago were too tight, but now are actually a bit too big.

Eat..(more than 1100 calories, which must be miserable), keep lifting weights, sleep, and don't forget to play and enjoy life. It may not happen quickly, but it will happen - if you relax and let it. Stressing about what the scale says is a sure fire way to sabotage yourself.

Good luck.

Pam916 is offline Member
    I think I have been hungry twice since starting eating this way. I think because I am just getting used to all the protein.
    On some level I get it - relax. I do enjoy life and I certainly remember to play. I just really want to look a certain way for my wedding. No quitting though. I will tweak until things start to move, and do my best to eat more food. So I am wondering if that means that the IF I do is something I shoudl give up?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes a total break, then a change can help. Like go eat normally (of course, the good foods), then maybe try something like a high carb/low fat regime or go very low carb. Mix it up.

And I would ditch the scale. Just throw it away. Buy a pair of TIGHT jeans and keep trying them on. I weigh myself every day and have learned not to care: My weight since last Monday:
    Monday: 176.4
    Tuesday:176
    Weds:175.6
    Thurs: 166 (oops, cat hopped on the scale before I did which makes things wonky), 176.8 (period, hooray!)
    Fri: 176
    Saturday: 178.4 (I drank A GLASS of wine Friday)
    Sunday: 177
    Monday: 176.4

Meanwhile, my pants fit the same through the glorious fun of my weight varying 3 lbs in the course of 7 days, mainly fluctuating due to hormones and my body bloating a lot due to alcohol. Funnier yet- I got back from Aruba 2 weeks ago and weighed in at 185. When I left my weight was 176.

Best to have an alternative to weight. I go by clothes fit.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Pam916 is offline Member
    I only weight once per week, so I am ok with keeping the scale.
    I do go by how my clothes fit as well; however, as I have said - I have a hard deadline for a dress fitting and do not have much time to play around. I want to lose - as of this past Friday - 22 pounds by June 24. That is only 1 1/2 pounds per week and should be doable.
    Sadly, a total break right now is not really an option; however zig zagging with the carbs/fat ratios is something I am willing to try. I have been serioulsy attempting weight/fat loss since January. I was 149 when I started (heaviest weight in 5+ years), had the mirena put in, gained 6 pounds in two weeks, had the mirena taken out, lost the 6 pounds and have lost 3 pounds since then. It is maddening! LOL

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    Hey! I am a female 5'4" and I started at about 145 in January and am currently about 130. These are the things I've found helpful for me. My goal is to end up somewhere between 120-125, but we'll see:
    1. I lose weight faster when I don't eat dairy (I'm trying to cut it completely right now).
    2. Focus on meat, veggies and fat and a little fruit.
    3. Exercise consistently (looks like you got that one down).
    4. I eat about 1400-1500 calories a day but mostly I just focus on eating until I'm full. I tend to over-obsess if I record my calories everyday. I agree that you should up the calories.
    5. I found that I am RARELY hungry for lunch, so I IF. So I eat breakfast at about 8 in the morning and then dinner at about 5:00. I don't eat snacks in between.
    6. The biggest thing I've learned is that I just need to focus on what works for me. For example, I'm miserable if I don't eat breakfast even if I do eat lunch. Find your own groove. Nobody can give you all the answers about what will work for you.
    7. Be forgiving of yourself during period week. I gained 5 lbs this last period without changing my diet! A couple of days after it started it disapeared, but it scared the sh#$ out of me!
    8. I find that I often confuse hunger and thirst, so if I think I am hungry I drink a glass of water first. I also make sure I'm not just bored.

Hey! Good luck!

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam916 View Post
    I just really want to look a certain way for my wedding.
    Ah. That explains it. I was wondering why reaching a goal weight by a certain date was so critical. I wondered if you were are model, with an upcoming job that will make or break you. Or an actress that was told they will use the understudy if you don't fit the costume by dress rehearsal day. It comes across as sounding like the most important thing in your life is meeting a number on the scale.

1. You are getting married. Your partner will love you and think you look gorgeous. I am betting they already think that. The family and guests will want their photo taken with you. What the weight on the scales say will not alter any of that.

2. You want to look good in your wedding dress. I get that. However, losing inches can happen without losing pounds. It's the inches you want to lose. Listen to the people who talk about using exercise to burn more body fat and build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, and it actually takes more energy to sustain it. Two people at the same weight, the one with more muscle will look slimmer and more toned then the one with a higher fat percentage. Sounds dumb, but eating fat helps burn fat. It works.

3. Seamstresses can let a dress out an inch or two if need be. I can guarantee that after the event no one but you will know or care if the dress was let out a bit, unless you tell them how much it upset you.

4. Congratulations on your impending marriage. It is usually a lot of work to plan a wedding day, but at the end of the day, you are getting married (starting a lifelong commitment to another person and a new life) not just hosting a wedding (a really cool party where you get to be the star in the prettiest dress you'll ever wear). Remind yourself of this occasionally when things seem out of balance.

Chill just a little.
    Best wishes.

Pam916 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post
    Ah. That explains it. I was wondering why reaching a goal weight by a certain date was so critical. I wondered if you were are model, with an upcoming job that will make or break you. Or an actress that was told they will use the understudy if you don't fit the costume by dress rehearsal day. It comes across as sounding like the most important thing in your life is meeting a number on the scale.

1. You are getting married. Your partner will love you and think you look gorgeous. I am betting they already think that. The family and guests will want their photo taken with you. What the weight on the scales say will not alter any of that.

2. You want to look good in your wedding dress. I get that. However, losing inches can happen without losing pounds. It's the inches you want to lose. Listen to the people who talk about using exercise to burn more body fat and build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, and it actually takes more energy to sustain it. Two people at the same weight, the one with more muscle will look slimmer and more toned then the one with a higher fat percentage. Sounds dumb, but eating fat helps burn fat. It works.

3. Seamstresses can let a dress out an inch or two if need be. I can guarantee that after the event no one but you will know or care if the dress was let out a bit, unless you tell them how much it upset you.

4. Congratulations on your impending marriage. It is usually a lot of work to plan a wedding day, but at the end of the day, you are getting married (starting a lifelong commitment to another person and a new life) not just hosting a wedding (a really cool party where you get to be the star in the prettiest dress you'll ever wear). Remind yourself of this occasionally when things seem out of balance.

Chill just a little.
    Best wishes.
    You made me giggle! My fiance is fine with me the way I am right now. My dress is being custom made so no worries on the inches taken in or out either. However, my wedding reception is a luau/pool party. The wedding dress I am not worried about - the bathing suit afterwards in front of all of those people scares the hell out of me. My daughter said something to me the other day that was very enlightening and true - regardless of how much fat I lose and muscle I gain the odds of me actually removing a cover up in front of all of those people is slim. Maybe I need a therapist! So I will continue along on the PB because I do believe in it and I will tweak and my goal may not be 125...maybe it should be just to be the best me I can be by then? Typing that, saying that and believeing that are SO different, but I will try.

Thank you!!!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam916 View Post
    The wedding dress I am not worried about...
    That's good. I have read that it is a major problem in the industry that often brides set overly ambitious goals for their wedding day weight and then have to have last minute panic alterations so the dress will fit at all.

Pam916 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That's good. I have read that it is a major problem in the industry that often brides set overly ambitious goals for their wedding day weight and then have to have last minute panic alterations so the dress will fit at all.
    Fortunately, since mine is custom AND chiffon (outdoor Summer wedding) it is also forgiving. I am realistic when it comes to clothing sizes as they change from store to store, designer to designer. As long as I feel good in it and it is remains a single digit (ha ha) I am fine.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I had a luau for my 40th birthday last summer. I understand needing to look good for it. I was able to lose 9lbs, who knows inches from April to July, that included vacations etc, so no crazy dieting. I just did my regular 5 days a week at gym, sounds similar to your workouts and ate primal most of the time. I only eat a little cheese and grassfed butter, no other dairy. Anyway, the key to looking good for the luau is a good coverup. Mine was a cute dress I'd gotten at the market in the Bahamas the summer before. Still showed off the arms and collarbone, left the thighs to the imagination.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast