Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help - what do I need to adjust? page 2

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam916 View Post
    My main objective is to be healthy; however, for the next several months I need to lose weight. I want to lose 20 pounds. I initially lost 2 pounds and have been following Primal 95% since I started. It has been officially two weeks. This morning I got on the scale and had gained .6. I know .6 is not a lot but I have been fighting for every ounce for nearly 3 months and it is frustrating.

A typical day of food for me is
    Breakfast - 2 eggs with a little bit of cheese and 3 turkey sausage lnks
    Lunch - IF
    Snack before the gym - a piece of fruit and a handful of almonds or a piecce of fruit and a string cheese
    Dinner - meat (varies) and veggies or a BAS with protein. I have also had a baked potato once in the past two weeks.

I go to the gym 5-6 days per week and lift heavy things and do intervals. Is there something I need to change? Should I eat more - although today I did not have breakfast because I am just not hungry. I will eat lunch instead - which is chicken and brocolli.
    eliminate the nuts, fruit and dairy. 20 lbs is easy to lose so stick to the basics of meat veg and fat.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    No way 1100 calories is enough to lose weight on your workout schedule. Also if your a big coffee drinker you probably arent feeling your true natural hunger signals- coffee is a great appetite suppressant

kayell is offline Junior Member
    " I want to lose 20 pounds. I initially lost 2 pounds and have been following Primal 95% since I started. It has been officially two weeks."

Adjust your patience. It takes a long time to lose when you have small amounts to lose. Also, toss the scale or hide it in the shed/attic. Your body normally can vary +/- 2 pounds of spare water weight (without being severely dehydrated or bloated) If daily weighing affects you to the point where you worry about 0.6 pounds, don't do it. Take stock on a WEEKLY basis of how your clothes fit or what your measurements are.

And eat more! before your metabolism slows down.

goddessjules is offline Junior Member
    I've been stuck at the same "I need to lose 20 lbs" mindest for a while now, and I felt like I was spinning my gears until I started measuring myself. I found that iI gained weight, and lost about 1/2 inch in my waist every week! I was packing on muscle (and bone mass probably too), and melting fat.

The real key for me was starting to love fat and not being so hard on the calorie counts. I was stalled eating 1200-1500 calories a day, but when I upped the fat and averaged about 1900-2200 calories a day, the inches started sliding off!

Try to be patient, and find food choices you like! But don't be afraid to to eat a half an avocado or go to town on a jr of almond butter Hope this helps!

kayell is offline Junior Member
    ^^^ What the goddess said.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam916 View Post
    My main objective is to be healthy; however, for the next several months I need to lose weight. I want to lose 20 pounds. I initially lost 2 pounds and have been following Primal 95% since I started. It has been officially two weeks. This morning I got on the scale and had gained .6. I know .6 is not a lot but I have been fighting for every ounce for nearly 3 months and it is frustrating.

A typical day of food for me is
    Breakfast - 2 eggs with a little bit of cheese and 3 turkey sausage lnks
    Lunch - IF
    Snack before the gym - a piece of fruit and a handful of almonds or a piecce of fruit and a string cheese
    Dinner - meat (varies) and veggies or a BAS with protein. I have also had a baked potato once in the past two weeks.

I go to the gym 5-6 days per week and lift heavy things and do intervals. Is there something I need to change? Should I eat more - although today I did not have breakfast because I am just not hungry. I will eat lunch instead - which is chicken and brocolli.
    You are not eating enough. You are not giving enough info, weight and height at the moment. I can see your goal is 135 so I will assume that you are at least 155 lbs given that you stated you wanted to lose 20 lbs. I'm 5'2 and 123lbs and I eat at about 1600 calories on fat loss plus 3 days a week exercise.
    I don't know how you are not hungry at all. Up your calories and see what happens. I know that sounds strange given that you want to lose body fat.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I initially lost 2 pounds and have been following Primal 95% since I started. It has been officially two weeks.
    LOL, I misread... I thought it was two months.
    Two weeks is NOTHING and .6 lbs is nothing. If I lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks, I'd be *thrilled*. And my bodyweight fluctuates all the time. I weighed 2 lbs more.

Let yourself eat a little more. Worry if over a month or two you are not losing. 1-2 lbs a week is doing pretty well. In general the people losing more are men or have significant amounts to lose.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Pam916 is offline Member
    WOW - I went away from the computer for the weekend and missed all of this great information. Thank you for everyone's comments. So much to consider actually.
    Stats - ugh....5'4" - 146 pounds - goal is 125. I look fine in my clothes, but want to look great in a bathing suit.
    I am not a big coffee drinker - just one cup in the morning during th week - two on the weekends.
    I am just nervous because I have a hard deadline to meet.
    I HATE the scale. I mean, it literally makes me sick to my stomach to stand on it and will only do it once a week and that takes a few deep breaths. I have been told and also on some level realize that this is a signal for unhealthy body image.
    I have done some damage over the years - nothing I would consider an actual ED, but the reason I loved PB when I found it is for all the health benefits.

I will plug along for another week with the same diet but more calories and see what happens. I do have some time to make adjustments - but with every week there is no progress is one week closer to me not meeting my goal.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I look fine in my clothes, but want to look great in a bathing suit.
    I think this is best accomplished with diet and gym. IE, weight training.

If I were you, I would throw out the scale, find a fitness trainer and put yourself in their hands. (Ideally a trainer that preaches a paleo diet and has you lifting weights). Just dropping 20 lbs of whatever isn't really what gets you looking good. It's having less fat stretched over more muscle.

I've lost like 40 lbs in the past year and look no better in a swimsuit. Much better in clothes.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Pam916 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Magnolia1973 - Thank you for your repsonse.

Weight lifting is my primary training. I prefer it to cardio and have been doing it for years.
    I believe that because I have a decent base of muscle is what has helped me keep off 40 pounds that I lost years ago.
    The weight crept on over the past 1 1/2 years due to - being happily engaged and a back injury.
    Now- due to my age I suspect, I am fighting for every single ounce. I feel better overall with the new way of eating.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast