Thread: Sudden eczema around eyes? page

Mireia is offline Member

Sudden eczema around eyes?

Primal Fuel
    For a week I have been developing what looks and feels exactly like eczema around my eyes. It started in the outer corner of one eye, and is now spreading to the center of my under eye area.
    It is also starting in the corner of my left eye now.
    The skin is dry, itchy and red. My eyes are not affected in any way (no oozing, redness etc.) and I don't have any other problems. I did not change any creams, I don't use foundation or eyeliner under my eyes (sometimes eyeliner for above but above is fine), I don't use mascara....I really have no idea what could have caused it.
    I do wear contacts once in a while, but can't imagine that it would only cause problems under my eye? I haven't worn them in 5 days and there is no improvement really. I put lanolin on the dry area and it is a bit less dry and red.

I would have to add that I have been going through hormonal imbalances since fall of last year. Mainly PMS from hell, acne and hair loss, fatigue.. but later also chronic carpal tunnel and heart palpitations.
    I am 2 months into a detox using DIM (diindolylmethane?), burdock root, vitex and milk thistle and my PMS has bettered dramatically and I have normal, regular periods again, my acne is almost gone (minor break outs) and my hair loss is much better.
    I am not sure what caused it, but I was eating low carb ( 1/2 of 30-70g, I am breastfeeding) (unitended) and since raising my carbs I have been feeling a lot better and my thyroid and liver improved.

I am not sure it is hormonal, or maybe a side effect? Although that does not seem likely because I have been doing this for two months.

Is there anything I can do dietary wise? Are there any foods likely to cause it? I will be seeing a doctor tomorrow, but I want to make sure the root problem is taken care of.
    Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
    30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
    I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I get something very similar when I'm really tired. I don't sleep terribly well and when I've been through a period of particularly bad sleep a small patch of what looks and feels like eczema appears under my right eye. I sometimes use an antibiotic cream on it which dries it out, but other times I just leave it and eventually it disappears.

Mireia is offline Member
    Hm..I sleep well and lots...
    How long does it usually take to disappear? One side seems less brightly red than two days ago, but i am not sure that means it might go away. Afterall it spread still.
    Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    It depends, usually a couple of weeks before it disappears.

I think it's a stress response - in my case from lack of sleep, but could be a stress response to hormonal imbalances, or some kind of healing crisis from your detox?

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I had this happen after I gave up eating grains. I think it was a reaction to the release of toxins. It would come and go and initially I thought it was an allergic reaction to something I was eating. Now I am pretty convinced it was a reaction to giving up the toxic grains.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I get this sometimes, I'm still trying to figure out the timing and cause though. For a while I thought it was hormonal because it seemed to happen at the same time every month (PMS), but then I realized that I also have a tendency to cheat around that time of the month too. Not buying a bag of donuts type cheating, but small cheats that make accidental gluten more likely--things like forgetting that the Japanese place probably slathered the meat and fried rice in regular soy sauce w/wheat. I'm planning to be super careful this month (need to anyway because of gut issues) and see if I still have the problem.

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    I get this sometimes, I'm still trying to figure out the timing and cause though. For a while I thought it was hormonal because it seemed to happen at the same time every month (PMS), but then I realized that I also have a tendency to cheat around that time of the month too. Not buying a bag of donuts type cheating, but small cheats that make accidental gluten more likely--things like forgetting that the Japanese place probably slathered the meat and fried rice in regular soy sauce w/wheat. I'm planning to be super careful this month (need to anyway because of gut issues) and see if I still have the problem.
    I do cheat occasionally. But it never caused me anything like this. I cheat on wheat about once a month on average, and milk, rice or potatoes once a week or every two weeks, but small amounts...like one coffee with milk, or a few chips, or something with rice like sushi, onigiri or mochi from the Japanese place.

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    It depends, usually a couple of weeks before it disappears.

I think it's a stress response - in my case from lack of sleep, but could be a stress response to hormonal imbalances, or some kind of healing crisis from your detox?
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    I had this happen after I gave up eating grains. I think it was a reaction to the release of toxins. It would come and go and initially I thought it was an allergic reaction to something I was eating. Now I am pretty convinced it was a reaction to giving up the toxic grains.
    I think it really could be hormone related and/ or detox related. Since pregnancy, I have been having a weird dry spot that just stays dry no matter what. This is similar when it comes to the dryness (like sandpaper), but also itchy and red.

I noticed some bettering (less red) after putting pure lanolin on it. It is usually used to heal sore nipples when breastfeeding.
    I also wanted to give breastmilk a try, since it is known to help eczema (I guess it could be some type of eczema), but my pump is broken, and I am unable to get any otherwise .