Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken foot: protein, ketosis and IF concerns page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Broken foot: protein, ketosis and IF concerns

Shop Now
    Hello all. I currently have a broken foot since two days ago. I will not be lifting weights for the next two months. Prior to my injury I was following a ~90% carnivore diet, with only the addition of olive oil and white rice on Sundays to replenish glycogen stores. I was getting ~200 grams of protein a day, and I weight 165 lbs.

So now I am wondering, since I will not be lifting anything for two months (god forbid anything longer than that), how should I adjust my protein intake? I have read that excess protein is bad for you since it causes you to lose calcium. How much protein would be enough to prevent loss of calcium while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible?

Also, is it safe to remain in ketosis during my recovery period? I plan on staying under 10 grams of carbs for the entire time.

And does anyone know if IF speeds up/delays bone healing?

ugh anyone?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    hmm well i dont exercise or lift but i jus got outta a cast from a sprained MCL so i know how much it sucks having to be still all the time. sorry about your foot.

i would say dont repenish carbs until your cast is off cuz youll have no need to and eat 1g of protein per lean mass. and take some good krill or fish oil to help the swelling/inflammation in your foot.

can you still do upper body??

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm taking ~20 grams of fish oil daily since my injury. I have also ordered some supplements to help my bone heal faster, and will schedule an acupuncture appointment in the near future.

I would do upper body but I have no access to a gym right now. The one I usually go to is at my campus, but I am off from school for the rest of the semester most likely. But I gotta tell you, walking in crutches and hopping around on one leg is quite a workout.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    haha oh trust me,,,,I KNOW lol.... try not being able to bend one leg ATTT ALLL

3fiddyz is offline Junior Member
    You make no mention of fat, only protein, you are getting enough fat in your diet yeah? Also, why white rice, it's a heavily processed grain, fruit is a much better choice imho.

Hope the foot heals nice and quickly and your up and about in no time.

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    hmm well i dont exercise or lift but i jus got outta a cast from a sprained MCL so i know how much it sucks having to be still all the time. sorry about your foot.

i would say dont repenish carbs until your cast is off cuz youll have no need to and eat 1g of protein per lean mass. and take some good krill or fish oil to help the swelling/inflammation in your foot.

can you still do upper body??
    A cast for a sprained MCL? I am sorry that this is off topic, I have never heard about a cast for a sprained MCL. In my opinion that Doctor needs to go back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fiddyz View Post
    You make no mention of fat, only protein, you are getting enough fat in your diet yeah? Also, why white rice, it's a heavily processed grain, fruit is a much better choice imho.

Hope the foot heals nice and quickly and your up and about in no time.
    That was only to quickly replenish glycogen stores. I said I will not be doing that anymore as I won't be lifting. Fruit is full of fructose so I don't think that's better.

And of course I am eating lots of fats from butter and olive oil.
    Last edited by rphlslv; 04-30-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: mispelling

ItalianGrok86 is offline Junior Member
    I really would not be sweating over calcium loss. The best way to judge appropriate protein intake is to listen to your body. Keep it simple: eat when your hungry and stop when your full. There is no magic number to follow. If your trying to avoid gaining bodyfat, minimize your daily intake of carbs/dairy.

Your going to lose muscle from inactivity. Accept that fact and don't flip out once you start noticing. Do what you can tho- theres no reason why you couldn't do pushups/pullups/dips.

Good news tho: once your foot is healed and you start lifting again it won't take long to pick up where you left off.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I broke my ankle (tibia) 30 days ago. The bone was totally healed at three weeks; it's the soft tissues that take a bit longer to get back to normal.

I don't count protein/fat/carbs/calories; I just tried to cut back a bit on eating in general, since I wasn't able to be as active as usual.

Do you have a cast, or a compression boot that you can take off at night? If it's a boot you can take off, I urge you to GENTLY work on your range of motion as far as bending/flexing your foot, making little circles, etc, so that you don't build up a bunch of scar tissue that will take forever to rehab. Work to the point of discomfort, but not pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast