Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many times should I eat liver a week? page

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member

How many times should I eat liver a week?

Primal Fuel
    Liver's one of those foods I can definitely tolerate but always prefer to avoid as a meal choice. If it's on my plate I'll eat it, but when I'm browsing the fridge I tend to give it a slide for something a bit more...palatable. I know just how much of a nutritional powerhouse it is, though, so I'm gonna practically force myself to eat it more regularly; as it is I only eat it about once a month, and I don't really have that much of an excuse for it.

How often do you eat your organ meats? I think twice a week is a decent starting point but I'd like to hear what y'all have to say too.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I don't have regular access to a variety of organ meats. But if I did, I would eat liver occasionally, and heart, tongue, kidney, too.

You don't have to eat it at all if you don't want to.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Once or twice a week. Liver contains a lot of vitamin A, which is fat soluble, so while it is very nutritious, don't overeat it and have some every day. Sad for me because I love my pâté.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    Me and my wife eat about a pound per week. It takes me about 2 meals to eat it while my wife eats a little everyday.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Once or twice a week. Liver contains a lot of vitamin A, which is fat soluble, so while it is very nutritious, don't overeat it and have some every day. Sad for me because I love my pâté.
    I don't think you can really overdose on vitamins if it's from food. I take almost 30,000 IU vitamin daily from liver and fermented cod liver oil and butter oil. This is 1000% of the "recommended" dosis. No problems yet
    Billie trips balls

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I don't think you can really overdose on vitamins if it's from food. I take almost 30,000 IU vitamin daily from liver and fermented cod liver oil and butter oil. This is 1000% of the "recommended" dosis. No problems yet
    Gadsie for the win! Your not going to OD on vitamin A from liver. It's actually never happened to my knowledge(unless your eating polar bear liver ). The ONLY thing to be concerned with is the copper content of beef liver. You can actually get too much of that so you may want to cap beef liver at 1lb a week. However, this just means you get to eat other animal livers like lamb or chicken once you hit that threshold.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-28-2013 at 05:45 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If you eat too much beef liver you will know because you will really not want it. As opposed to sort of not want it unless it appears on your plate.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I don't recall if Mark specifies, but I know PHD suggests 1/4lb per week. I just had mine yesterday. I eat it when DH isn't home. He just can't get into that, nor my salmon and eggs.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Matt lalonde phd says you can overdos on liver. Liver is an important dietary source of choline. Your liver uses choline to move fats out of the liver. Not enough choline leads to fatty cerrosis. The othe main source for choline is egg yokes.

I eat live about once and sometimes twice per week.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    The othe main source for choline is egg yokes.
    I have 2-3 per day most days. PHD (sorry if I refer to that too much) but he also suggests 3 per day.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast