Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory meat article page 2

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    In comparing Commercial beef to Commercial "poultry, fish or vegetables, whole grains and other healthy foods" how do you like these Free Range Chickens?
    The Benefits of Pasture Raised Eggs | Small Footprint Family
    I'm permanently dumbfounded and amazed by the food industries considerable ability to raise animals to the age of highest profitability followed 2 months later by death. They're not as perfect with humans, a fairly small percent live much longer that 65, but as the next generation shows, they're getting better at it.
    We have 2 beagles and although I've thought about raising our own chickens (we have enough grass to raise them on) it's just not possible with beagles. But I am thinking of getting a nanny goat.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I feel the same way, I've always known that conventional factory beef was inferior, but reading this has put it squarely in the disgusting category.

I'm saving for a second freezer and a side of grass-fed beef myself...
    Yeah, the $140+ U.S. I just spent with my farmer netted me a pretty overflowing regular freezer. Focused on the cheap bits and still probably paid twice as much per lb. as I would have buying more "prime" cuts at the grocery store on average, but worth every penny without question. Chest freezer and buying bulk is definitely the way to go.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Thanks for sharing - very enlightening

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    In comparing Commercial beef to Commercial "poultry, fish or vegetables, whole grains and other healthy foods" how do you like these Free Range Chickens?
    The Benefits of Pasture Raised Eggs | Small Footprint Family
    I'm permanently dumbfounded and amazed by the food industries considerable ability to raise animals to the age of highest profitability followed 2 months later by death. They're not as perfect with humans, a fairly small percent live much longer that 65, but as the next generation shows, they're getting better at it.
    We have 2 beagles and although I've thought about raising our own chickens (we have enough grass to raise them on) it's just not possible with beagles. But I am thinking of getting a nanny goat.
    I don't really have room for raising any animals where I am, but my wife was asking me about raising chickens earlier today. Not so sure my Boston Terrier would get along to well
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Joel Salatin says you can raise 2 chickens in a 50 gallon terrarium. I've yet to give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Joel Salatin says you can raise 2 chickens in a 50 gallon terrarium. I've yet to give this a try.
    They would not be open range chickens. Would you feed them commercial chicken feed. That would be really bad. I'm still thinking about chickens for eggs and meat. How would this work?

Two chickens would give us enough eggs. U.S. Wellness has good dog food. I think Chickens are omnivores so I could smash the dog food with a hammer to feed the chickens.
    Chickens Are Omnivores: It
    Or maybe buy sacks of worms. I'll bet that would be expensive. We have tons of snails every spring.
    But if I want chickens for meat, preferably <3 lb roasters I need chicks, this require a rooster, who crows every morning. Or I could just buy pullets? We'd also need a butcher, killing roasters doesn't sound like my kind of fun. I'll look into mobile butchers.

A goat would be for meat and milk. When I started PB I didn't drop dairy and had no problems with dairy. Then I dropped it for 2 months. The 4th month I've tried to add it back in and by body says NO. Stuffy nose, sinuses, and mucus in my throat and mouth. I hope that's only lactin, and not casin. Hard cheese seems still seems to be OK. But Oh how I love cream which supposedly has no lactin but does have casin. Cream in coffee, cream on berries, cream in liver pate, etc.
    A goat has to be milked day and night, always. Maybe I'll just ask our mexican butcher if he can provide one. I'm not really worried about CW fed goat. Goats just graze wild, on anything.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-05-2013 at 02:59 PM.

AureliaWaterman is offline Junior Member
    but you cant let down the bones get snatched from your tounge
    Last edited by AureliaWaterman; 05-21-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    click here >>> REI Coupon Code

hilliardjoe is offline Junior Member
    Makes me glad I found a local butcher after switching to primal that only gets his meat from local farms.

My wife won't go there anymore because once we went in and there was half a cow on a table in back being carved up.

Quote Originally Posted by hilliardjoe View Post
    Makes me glad I found a local butcher after switching to primal that only gets his meat from local farms.

My wife won't go there anymore because once we went in and there was half a cow on a table in back being carved up.
    We've come a long, long way from the days our country was settled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12