Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it fair to ask others in the house to get rid of junk food? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    What do you guys think? Is asking my wife to tell her sister to get rid of the crap or maybe just keep a few things in their bedroom (where I never go out of respect for their privacy) out of line?
    Not out of line at all. You can probably find a mini fridge on craigslist and put it in the bedroom where they stay. OTOH, if you do this, you'd better never come home with McDonald's breath. On some level the sister has to know that she's letting her kids eat garbage. Giving up some square footage for a fridge to house that garbage might just put it in perspective for her.

Once they make the concession though, do show them you're serious. Wake up 20 minutes earlier in the morning (or more) to get in a short walk before your shower (for example).

Also, whether it's your weakness or not, spouses should support each other. If your wife can't see your weight as a serious medical issue, if you can, go to the doctor. S/he will certainly require you to lose weight whether you've become diabetic or not. Once the doctor says no junk food, the whole household will take it seriously.

Good luck to you. There are as many excuses to not regaining health as there are people. Don't let your family be your excuse. You deserve to be healthy.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Corwin1968 is offline Member
    Some good advice here with some angles I hadn't thought of. That's why I posted the question here because I know I'm unlikely to think completely rationally about the situation.

Step one is going to be to dive in feet first into my own eating plan. If I don't do that then the junk food is pretty much a moot point. If a month from now I'm still on track and the junk food is still a major issue for me, I'll address it with everyone.

I talked to my wife about some of my concerns with our guests (not all diet related) and she's as frustrated as I am with what her sister is feeding the kids. She's talked to her about it but the sister is afraid that if she doesn't give them everything their dad does, then they are going to choose him over her. Lot's of different dynamics going on with that situation.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    You are almost 400 lbs and pre-diabetic. What else do you need to justify your desire to change for a healthy lifestyle? Its not just a few vanity pounds to lose, its very serious! The choice between your life or death and their questionable comfort?
    Besides that feeding crap to the children in fear that they might choose their dad who does feed crap to them - are there any signs that the dad in queston will even want to have 2 soon teenage kids to feed and care for EVERY day? Take to school, trainings, art circles, birthdays, etc? Somehow it often stops right there - shovel some candy in them and forget till next time.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corwin1968 View Post
    Some good advice here with some angles I hadn't thought of. That's why I posted the question here because I know I'm unlikely to think completely rationally about the situation.

Step one is going to be to dive in feet first into my own eating plan. If I don't do that then the junk food is pretty much a moot point. If a month from now I'm still on track and the junk food is still a major issue for me, I'll address it with everyone.

I talked to my wife about some of my concerns with our guests (not all diet related) and she's as frustrated as I am with what her sister is feeding the kids. She's talked to her about it but the sister is afraid that if she doesn't give them everything their dad does, then they are going to choose him over her. Lot's of different dynamics going on with that situation.
    Kind of what I was going to say,
    Keep your wife in the loop, share with her your concerns both for yourself and others, but try to not be judgemental.
    Even though things would be easier without junk food in plain view, there is still some lessons to be learned by yourself and leave the door open to good primal food and lay it out in plain view, who knows, the SIL may just bite and turn the corner and remember if the kids get on it, well they say if you hook them young, you've got them for life.

Corwin1968 is offline Member
    What's really sad is that my sister-in-law loves to cook, is EXCELLENT at it, and many of the things she cooks are completely primal. They are Indonesian and do a lot of meat/veggie dishes, many with coconut milk! Of course, they eat everthing with white rice but I don't have a problem skipping that stuff. Now if I had married into a Mexican family I would really be in trouble.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would say at 400lbs you need to get your own health in order first. As has already been said your at a dangerouse weight at the moment. You can't control what other people do with their life. You can't help anyone if you don't help your self first. lead by example by eating clean and smart..perhaps it will rub off a little.

I have a step daughter who does not really bother eating clean, my son is the same. I don't try and inflict my chosen way of life on them, they respect this. I just don't eat the food they do. After a while I found it way better to not look at bad food as a thing to avoid, its just stuff I choose not to eat. Its easy now.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12