Thread: Primal Trickery page

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Trickery

Shop Now
    I am loving being more primal for the last few weeks. I have had some pretty good success getting my 9 year old eating better, as well. One thing that has been really successful is making a primal "apple pie" that she can have for dessert or even with breakfast. I would love to hear from others about what their favorite primal treat is and recipes that have worked well. I figure if I can throw a few primal treats into the mix that she will look more favorably upon the whole thing. I haven't told her we are changing our diet or anything, just made little tweaks here and there. Breakfast is easy. Dinnertime goes pretty well. Lunch is still a bit of a challenge although I'm making progress. Her vegetable selections are pretty limited still (cooked broccoli, raw carrots, white potatoes, green peas, green beans).

Any ideas would be great for just regular stuff or treats that work well for kids (or not-so-primal husbands). There is a Facebook page that has been helpful for kid-food but I can't remember the name at the moment...
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I made some chocolate chip cookies a while back from almond flour, eggs, and very little sweetening except for the chocolate chips. My boyfriend's kids thought they were great. And the best thing about them was, you really could eat only one.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I haven't made anything like that in a couple of years. I am a little hesitant to try new recipes with my expensive ingredients but will give something like that a try soon.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Our go-to dessert is baked or microwaved bananas (with a piece of dark chocolate on top), served with cream poured on top. Tastes as good as it sounds.

Most of our lunches for the kids are some combination of fruit / nuts / cheese / eggs.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of baked custards made with eggs, whole cream and maple syrup or honey - you can make them pistachio flavored, vanilla, chocolate, mixed berry, lemon-berry, banana or any number of sweet squash (like pumpkin or butternut) . . . really good.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    A good primal lunch might be some version of a baked stuffed potato. Yam or white. You could load it with cheese, bacon, broccoli, spinach, sour cream...etc. My favorite lunch is an omelet, personally. I also dig chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, and ham salad. Sometimes we buy a whole chicken, roast it, and then use it to make chicken salad for a few days. She could eat the various salads rolled up in lettuce leaves. I love the crunch of the lettuce, and also holding the roll in my hands like a sandwich.

Another super nommy lunch is this thing! Without the roll. It is soooooo good. https://pinterest.com/pin/160229699214316733/ I actually just make a cheeseburger and a fried egg separately and eat them together. Add bacon for even more amazeballs.

And one more good lunch! Mark's carnitas recipe is amazing.
    Crispy Carnitas | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
    And I used the bone to make bone broth the next day, which I turned into a pork and broccoli rabe soup.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    the Paleo Parents website/blog have kid friendly recipes and ideas. They have ideas for kids lunchs and meals. I love the coconut cream macaroon cookie recipe.

Paleobird Guest
    Freeze just about any fruit and then mix it in a blender with hwc (raw if you can find it). It comes out like softserve ice cream and doesn't need any sweetening other than the fruit.