Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PCOSer not losing and following the plan. Frustrated. page 2

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    I don't have PCOS but I have heard from other's that the PCOS guide by Stephanie Ruper (sp?) of Paleo for Women is a good guide to tweeks specific to PCOS - Paleo for Women | Announcing PCOS Unlocked: The Manual: The First 50 go for 50!

I know insulin resistance is a common problem - so keeping low sugar/stratch is probably a good idea to start with.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

epicuriousbynature is offline Junior Member
    I have PCOS too.... it can take several weeks to really see a change. Be careful with the 1/2 cup of nuts and such. I eat pine nuts and macadamia but I'm VERY careful to weigh them. Well, I don't weigh the macs anymore, I eat 10, because I've never had an ounce that had more than ten in it.

If you have some good self control, you might want to consider a fat fast if you're attempting Nutritional Ketosis. Its an everyday lifestyle for me, so I'm use to it. There are TONS of blogs with LCHF recipes. This has been my way of life for years, and although I'm not overweight, when I did put on some pounds a few years back, the LCHF lifestyle is what turned it around for me, quickly and permanently.

Also, one doctor I know that agrees with the lifestyle has mentioned a bit of added discomfort in the lower belly due to a lack of movement, so make sure that's happening too!

BellaPorter is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s-piper View Post
    I have PCOS as well. I just started and the weight loss is slow.
    I felt tired, foggy, no appetite, and just kind of crummy the first week of very low-carb too. The second week (which is also when I started getting positives from ketostix testing) I started feeling better, so I think maybe your body and brain need a little while switch to using fat for energy instead of sugar.

I do have a question. Have you talked to your doctor about the nausea and pelvic pain?
    I've known I had PCOS for the past 12 years and I've never had either symptom. I even have cysts at the moment, I had an ultrasound a few months ago and saw them.
    Honestly, those symptoms sound more like endometriosis (or something else). I'm not saying you don't have PCOS, but that maybe something else is going on too.

I have a ton of cysts that are squishing my ovaries. I don't know about Endometriosis because I have NOT opted for the surgery to look for it. I just find that to be rather invasive. I think the nausea is more of a digestive issue and really didn't rear it's head til I had my gallbladder removed a few years back. Doc said that nausea can be from that and or the fact that I have Fatty Liver Disease too. Often the liver gets over worked and will make me feel sick. But the Endocrinologist and Hepatologist are both positive that with weight loss and sugar balancing I can heal most of it all up and feel a ton better. Also I don't have any classic signs of Endo as my periods are never heavy nor are they painful in fact I feel great when I do get period. Doc thinks its pelvic congestion. I'm an odd duck because I feel great during my cycle. Lol.
    Last edited by BellaPorter; 02-27-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: additional info

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Have some patience while your body heals and adjusts. It took me 6 weeks to see/feel a noticeable change in my size/shape, and I don't have PCOS.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    You said you drink a lot of water....how much per day, per week?

Is your urinary output the same as input, virtually? Are you sweating at all? Just trying to establish if you are retaining the water you are drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    You said you drink a lot of water....how much per day, per week?

Is your urinary output the same as input, virtually? Are you sweating at all? Just trying to establish if you are retaining the water you are drinking.
    I pee more some days than others. I crave salt and have been using more thus drinking more.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i found this helpful and informative, i have pcos too

An Unconventional Approach to PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) | The Primal Parent
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaPorter View Post
    I have a ton of cysts that are squishing my ovaries. I don't know about Endometriosis because I have NOT opted for the surgery to look for it. I just find that to be rather invasive. I think the nausea is more of a digestive issue and really didn't rear it's head til I had my gallbladder removed a few years back. Doc said that nausea can be from that and or the fact that I have Fatty Liver Disease too. Often the liver gets over worked and will make me feel sick. But the Endocrinologist and Hepatologist are both positive that with weight loss and sugar balancing I can heal most of it all up and feel a ton better. Also I don't have any classic signs of Endo as my periods are never heavy nor are they painful in fact I feel great when I do get period. Doc thinks its pelvic congestion. I'm an odd duck because I feel great during my cycle. Lol.
    I see. Well I hope you do start to lose some weight and feel better!

Also, remember, I'm a PCOSer as well...I wouldn't say you're odd because you feel great during your cycle.
    I look forward to mine for 2 reasons, 1) if it comes when I think it's supposed to it's a sign my hormones are well balanced, and 2) I get classic PMS in that in the days before I feel impatient, irritable, tired if I'm moving but keyed up if I sit down, and just a kind of overall uncomfortable feeling. During really bad cycles I feel almost like I want to tear my skin off because I just don't feel right. Once my period actually comes, though, I feel sane again.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaPorter View Post
    I pee more some days than others. I crave salt and have been using more thus drinking more.

Any low back pain or history of lower back pain?

Have you had your adrenals checked?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    Any low back pain or history of lower back pain?

Have you had your adrenals checked?
    Yes I have almosr constant very low back pain. Dead center. If you press my ovaries to my back that is where the pain is. Have had it for years. But I do get a few days here and there where its almost unnoticed or gone. Adrenals where checked by Endo and he didn't mention anything about them. He did say my estrogen and testosterone were OK but dhea-s was high end of normal. Pcos was confirmed by ultrasound where cyst clusters were found. Largest being 5.7mm. Kidneys have been checked plenty and are fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast