Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meat crisis! page

bdlee73 is offline Member

Meat crisis!

Primal Fuel
    When I first went primal I binged on a lot of conventional bacon, sausage, chicken thighs, steak, etc. and was pretty successful with slimming down. In the last couple months I started buying some grass fed ground beef when I could. Then I started reading more info about the really unhealthy fat profiles of conventional meats and have gotten to the point where I'm afraid to buy conventional meat. I get that the pastured stuff is better, but its simply does not fit in my budget right now.

So what is the best option to get some good meats, fat, and protein in my diet? I eat a lot of eggs (omega 3 eggs from Costco) and avocados but don't like salmon, sardines, or the flavor of coconut (thus I'm afraid to commit to coconut oil).

Am I okay with getting lean red meat and conventional chicken breasts? I'll still get grass fed when I can, but I'm finding that I'm staying pretty hungry and need more fat and protein from meats.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Buy the best you can afford, and don't sweat it. Do not obsess about each and every cut of meat. Some will be better than others. It all averages out.

If you've cut industrial seed oils out of your diet, you've taken care of the majority of the O6 overload. The second best thing you can do is avoid restaurant and takeout food ALWAYS, since you have no control over the oils they use.

Cooking pricy grassfed and pastured meats at home will still be 1/4 the price of the equivalent restaurant meal.

Save up and buy 1/2 or 1/4 of a grassfed cow.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    If eating omega 3 eggs and sardines regulary and limiting vegetable oils, I wouldn't care much wether the beef is grass fed or not...

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    If eating omega 3 eggs and sardines regulary and limiting vegetable oils, I wouldn't care much wether the beef is grass fed or not...
    This. If you are getting plenty of omega3 then I wouldn't worry about that and just the meat.

Thanks for the responses. I rarely eat out and only have EVO in the house for oil. I suppose I could supplement with fish oil pills just to be sure I'm keeping the o3/o6 profiles in check. I love cooking chicken thighs but may just eat those in more moderation.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Buy lean cuts of conventional meat, too - that will cut down on the O6s. I can't afford grass-fed anything right now either, just "organic" on occasion. We all do the best we can. Don't stress over it.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    Do you hunt? That's a great way to get some delicious venison. That's what we do.

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    there is coconut oil without the smell and taste of coconut, you mighttry that. Or try real butter from grassfed cows and ghee.

I don't hunt, so game meat is out. I also mostly use Kerrygold butter unless I run out before I can make it to Costco. For flavorless coconut oil, what type of label/brand should I looked for? Are they clearly identified as flavorless?

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdlee73 View Post
    When I first went primal I binged on a lot of conventional bacon, sausage, chicken thighs, steak, etc. and was pretty successful with slimming down. In the last couple months I started buying some grass fed ground beef when I could. Then I started reading more info about the really unhealthy fat profiles of conventional meats and have gotten to the point where I'm afraid to buy conventional meat. I get that the pastured stuff is better, but its simply does not fit in my budget right now.

So what is the best option to get some good meats, fat, and protein in my diet? I eat a lot of eggs (omega 3 eggs from Costco) and avocados but don't like salmon, sardines, or the flavor of coconut (thus I'm afraid to commit to coconut oil).

Am I okay with getting lean red meat and conventional chicken breasts? I'll still get grass fed when I can, but I'm finding that I'm staying pretty hungry and need more fat and protein from meats.
    You do not really have to eat meat at all. You can be very healthy on a diet of eggs, raw milk and some plants.
    So perhaps you could increase your egg intake, however do not eat omega 3 eggs because the chickens are fed bad stuff. If you can find a good farmer you can get a lot of raw milk from there, which will probably be cheap. Eat the best organic eggs. Also eat grass-fed organs, they are cheap as well.
    Billie trips balls

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast