Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meat crisis! page 2

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Expeller-pressed Coconut oil has no coconut flavor. Here is one place you can buy it.

Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil - Tropical Traditions or sometimes you can find a jar of the Spectrum brand in the grocery store.

Zach is offline Banned
    I would limit the amount of non pastured meat. It simply is not the same. Get more of your calories from eggs, dairy and plant foods. Sardines and shellfish would be a good addition as well. Im of the camp that one should save their money and buy only the best animal products.

Also i dont know your finances but unless you are very poor, there should be enough money to buy organic/pastured. Food should be a priority in life, you only get one body.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I eat supermarket meats. I can only eat small amounts of eggs, so that's not an option. You do what you can do. Don't fear store-bought meat. It is still far better than eating SAD.

Paleobird Guest
    You could also look into buying in bulk. That can make grass fed meat much more reasonable.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Have the same problem as you.
    I cannot really afford grassfed meat except on rare occasions, and since I share a standard sized freezer with roommates, I don't have the storage space to buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow in bulk.

About the cocanut oil though. Virgin cocanut oil does smell strongly of cocanut when you open the jar, but that goes away when you melt it. Last night I used it for cooking for the first time. Melted abut a 1/2 teaspoon of oil in a pan, then seared a chicken breast, added water, and let it cook on low heat until it got up to safe temperature. I tried it straight from the pan before adding sauce...it was one of the juciest pieces of chicken I've cooked. Much nicer than times I've cooked it the same way in olive oil, and really olive oil is healther when eaten "raw". Also, it did not taste at all like it was cocanut flavored, it just tasted like plain chicken.
    Cocanut oil can be pricy, but if you aren't one of those who eats it by the spoonful (blech! I even like cocanut but I can't stand that) then it'll probably last a good long while.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Eat a lot more wild fish. Organ meat is great and grass-fed is not as expensive as muscle meat. Eat more lamb and chevon (not mutton and goat).

I think, yes it does make a differenceThey have sales on freezers during various holidays.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    do some searching at farmers' markets or on-line. i found a local farmer who will sell me "off-cuts" of grass-fed beef for $4 pp. heart, tongue, liver, soupbones, etc. that's cheaper than the same cafo cuts.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s-piper View Post
    Have the same problem as you.
    I cannot really afford grassfed meat except on rare occasions, and since I share a standard sized freezer with roommates, I don't have the storage space to buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow in bulk.

About the cocanut oil though. Virgin cocanut oil does smell strongly of cocanut when you open the jar, but that goes away when you melt it. Last night I used it for cooking for the first time. Melted abut a 1/2 teaspoon of oil in a pan, then seared a chicken breast, added water, and let it cook on low heat until it got up to safe temperature. I tried it straight from the pan before adding sauce...it was one of the juciest pieces of chicken I've cooked. Much nicer than times I've cooked it the same way in olive oil, and really olive oil is healther when eaten "raw". Also, it did not taste at all like it was cocanut flavored, it just tasted like plain chicken.
    Cocanut oil can be pricy, but if you aren't one of those who eats it by the spoonful (blech! I even like cocanut but I can't stand that) then it'll probably last a good long while.
    I disagree. There are many things I won't use virgin c o for because of the coconut flavor it can impart.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    I disagree. There are many things I won't use virgin c o for because of the coconut flavor it can impart.
    One can buy refined deoderized bleached coconut oil. Quality virgin coconut oil does indeed have a flavor that is not appropriate for all foods.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I must be lucky that I can easily get local grass fed ground beef at Natural Grocers for $5 a pound. I may stick with that for my "go to" red meat option. I went to the store tonight and most decent cuts of conventional beef are $4+ a pound. As far as fish, I don't mind Cod or Tilapia...but I've heard of a lot of mixed messages about farmed Tilapia. And I'll definitely check out coconut oil to get some more fat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast