Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seasoning Cast Iron with... page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Seasoning Cast Iron with...

Primal Fuel
    Bacon grease. Slightly lower temp, slightly longer time. But dang it's like Primal air freshener for the home. (Don't tell Febreeze or they'll be test marketing Bacon scent and it will be awful.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Haha, I was thinking this the other day while re-seasoning mine! Lard works better, but bacon grease is all I had and it smells fabulous. Everyone in the house was hungry though...

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Duck fat smoke point is around 375 too, worth throwing into the mix with bacon grease.
    With a 10-15 min warm up my Staub fry pan cooks just fine at the lower temps.

Cet
    Cet is offline Junior Member
    Coconut oil, bacon grease or lamb fat (after they've been on low & slow in the crock pot).

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I always use butter. It works great.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Mine's usually lard with a side of whatever grease was left in the pan.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Can you guys give me quick how to season a pan? I have a couple of older Lodge types.
    Thank you.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually contemplating buying lard now. This morning I fried up some ground pork for soup and it made my house smell like bacon when I exited the house. Yummy....

Anybody else find it slightly inflammatory though? Every time I eat a signifiant amount of animal fat, my throat gets scratchy and I feel slightly shitty. This only happens if I eat like more than 20g animal fat in one sitting.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sakura, too much fat of any kind can make me a bit queasy, but nothing in the throat or skin.

Does anyone else season on top of the stove? I used an oven this time but it was because I was seasoning a muffin tin (a muffin iron?) and it wouldn't work well on the stove. Stove top is easier for me and it doesn't heat up my living space as much.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Sakura Girl I am finding that having cream in my coffee gives me a funny feeling in my gut, throat - that ahem feeling !

anyhoo I love my cast iron cookware. Really old stuff that I just cook with. I often fill with water as soon as I have finished cooking. It then just wipes clean.
    I love cast iron !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast