Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: not losing weight

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    33

    not losing weight

    Hi

    I've been eating primally for about 2 months now but frustratingly I haven't lost any weight. I'll lose a bit, gain a bit and basically stay the same. Before Christmas last year, I was eating primally for about a month and lost a bit of weight. I fell off the wagon big time over Christmas and put on 11lbs! I've lost some of that, but am not back to my pre-christmas weight yet.

    I haven't been 100% primal 100% of the time - I do occasionally give in to laziness/lack of choices (esp when at others' houses) and have something non primal, but for the most part, I am eatings lots of veggies, not much fruit, good fats like nuts and avocado, plenty of meat, fish and eggs and leave out the grains and sugar. Kicking the sugar is harder than the grains!

    I feel like I'm doing the right thing most of the time but the odd slip up is stopping me from making progress.

    I'm also not exercising much at the moment - I had been attending an aqua aerobics class and a pilates class but have had to stop these due to tricky finances. I'm also hampered by a repetitive strain injury to my knee which is making even walking painful at the moment.

    I'm female and about 260lbs, so I'd really like to get going on the weightloss as I've got a long way to go! I definitely feel better for eating in this way, but need to see results on the scales/in my clothes size too!

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    What exactly are you eating, how often and how much? What are the non-primal foods?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    What exactly are you eating, how often and how much? What are the non-primal foods?
    For example, today I had salmon with coleslaw and cherry tomatoes for breakfast and have had salad (with some grapes) and tuna mayo with avocado for lunch. Dinner will probably be chicken and veggies. My non primal food today has been a small home made cupcake, made with coconut flour, cocoa powder, sugar (to try to tempt my kids to eat them!), coconut oil and eggs.

    Yesterday I had some homemade no grain granola (non primal ingredient being some honey) with milk, lunch at a friends house, so non primal - tomato soup, small bread roll and small chocolate cake bar, dinner was gammon with veggies and some yoghurt with no grain granola for desert. I did also succumb to a couple of jaffa cakes in the evening - I blame my husband for buying them!

    This is fairly typical of how I'm eating at the moment. I know I need to stop the sugar slip ups and need to find a strategy for staying primal when eating at other people's houses, but am I really doing that badly?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    West Yorkshire ( UK)
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutbrown View Post
    For example, today I had salmon with coleslaw and cherry tomatoes for breakfast and have had salad (with some grapes) and tuna mayo with avocado for lunch. Dinner will probably be chicken and veggies. My non primal food today has been a small home made cupcake, made with coconut flour, cocoa powder, sugar (to try to tempt my kids to eat them!), coconut oil and eggs.

    Yesterday I had some homemade no grain granola (non primal ingredient being some honey) with milk, lunch at a friends house, so non primal - tomato soup, small bread roll and small chocolate cake bar, dinner was gammon with veggies and some yoghurt with no grain granola for desert. I did also succumb to a couple of jaffa cakes in the evening - I blame my husband for buying them!

    This is fairly typical of how I'm eating at the moment. I know I need to stop the sugar slip ups and need to find a strategy for staying primal when eating at other people's houses, but am I really doing that badly?
    This all sonds good to me. I'v had honey since I started this with Greek Yougurt and still lost weight.

    I would do a journal with the calorie value of everything ( at least for a while) to work out your daily intake. I'v been under 2000 a day every day sometimes less, and it worked for me.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

    Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    This all sonds good to me. I'v had honey since I started this with Greek Yougurt and still lost weight.

    I would do a journal with the calorie value of everything ( at least for a while) to work out your daily intake. I'v been under 2000 a day every day sometimes less, and it worked for me.
    Thanks Richard, you're being very generous in not slamming me for the blatant sugar slips!

    On the odd occasion that I have logged my food (through MyFitnessPal), I generally seem to be anywhere between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, so not particularly high in that respect and feel satisfied on that (on a CW/SAD diet when trying to lose weight through low fat, I struggled to stay below 2200 and was always wanting more!), I am struggling to stay between 50-100g carbs, so I guess that's an area to improve on.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    West Yorkshire ( UK)
    Posts
    142
    [QUOTE=chestnutbrown;1109360]Thanks Richard, you're being very generous in not slamming me for the blatant sugar slips!

    On the odd occasion that I have logged my food (through MyFitnessPal), I generally seem to be anywhere between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, so not particularly high in that respect and feel satisfied on that (on a CW/SAD diet when trying to lose weight through low fat, I struggled to stay below 2200 and was always wanting more!), I am struggling to stay between 50-100g carbs, so I guess that's an area to improve on.[/QUOTE

    Don't look at food as good or bad, just stuff you choose not to eat. I'm amazed your not losing as the typical intake of daily food looks ideal.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

    Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutbrown View Post
    For example, today I had salmon with coleslaw and cherry tomatoes for breakfast and have had salad (with some grapes) and tuna mayo with avocado for lunch. Dinner will probably be chicken and veggies. My non primal food today has been a small home made cupcake, made with coconut flour, cocoa powder, sugar (to try to tempt my kids to eat them!), coconut oil and eggs.

    Yesterday I had some homemade no grain granola (non primal ingredient being some honey) with milk, lunch at a friends house, so non primal - tomato soup, small bread roll and small chocolate cake bar, dinner was gammon with veggies and some yoghurt with no grain granola for desert. I did also succumb to a couple of jaffa cakes in the evening - I blame my husband for buying them!

    This is fairly typical of how I'm eating at the moment. I know I need to stop the sugar slip ups and need to find a strategy for staying primal when eating at other people's houses, but am I really doing that badly?
    Unless he pinned you down and shoved them in your cake hole, your hubby is not to blame

    STOP with the desserts, snacks and treats. Regardless of whether the ingredients are 'primal' or not, they are treats, and there is a certain psychological addiction to treats for most people. (incidentally, why are you trying to tempt your kids to eat them? The healthy alternative to SAD cupcakes is NO cupcakes)

    You should be eating enough FOOD at meals that you are sated and satisfied and there is no room for dessert. By FOOD I mean meat, fat and veggies. Someone asked once, now that they don't eat bread, what to serve with soup at dinner. The unanimous answer was "more soup."

    And you should be eating when you're hungry, not because its a set meal time, and not because someone offered it to you, or because you deserve your fair share. Really concentrate your efforts on listening to your body's hunger and satiety cues. Shopping, planning and batch cooking primal meals will mean that you always have a healthy food option available at the next eating opportunity.

    As for eating at other people's houses, practice saying "no thank you."
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

    There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

    DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Unless he pinned you down and shoved them in your cake hole, your hubby is not to blame

    STOP with the desserts, snacks and treats. Regardless of whether the ingredients are 'primal' or not, they are treats, and there is a certain psychological addiction to treats for most people. (incidentally, why are you trying to tempt your kids to eat them? The healthy alternative to SAD cupcakes is NO cupcakes)
    You got me there! I've got myself here. I've got to get myself out of it.

    I guess I'm still in the mindset of having a treat to feel better - need to work on that one!

    In terms of tempting the kids - I've made primal cupcakes with just a small amount of honey because my daughter especially is pretty sugar addicted, she wouldn't eat them - I had the idea of making them with sugar and then gradually reducing it. My son eats a good variety of foods but my daughter is very fussy. I'd read that coconut flour was a good source of protein so was thinking that primal cakes might be better than conventional cakes. Desperation talking! I am working on getting her to eat more proper food too and we're getting there. I guess i was looking for some short cuts! Silly really.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutbrown View Post
    In terms of tempting the kids - I've made primal cupcakes with just a small amount of honey because my daughter especially is pretty sugar addicted, she wouldn't eat them - I had the idea of making them with sugar and then gradually reducing it. My son eats a good variety of foods but my daughter is very fussy. I'd read that coconut flour was a good source of protein so was thinking that primal cakes might be better than conventional cakes. Desperation talking! I am working on getting her to eat more proper food too and we're getting there. I guess i was looking for some short cuts! Silly really.
    You don't need to tempt your daughter to eat "primal cupcakes" instead of real food. Kids will not starve if we cut out the crap in their diets, or if we don't browbeat them or attempt to cater to their whims. Food manufacturers make huge profits by convincing people they need to feed their kids a special diet of junk food and snack food, and to deny them what they ask for (because they've seen it advertised) would be mean and unthinkable.

    You're the parent. Do what parents everywhere else in the world do. Feed her what you're having. When she's hungry enough, she'll start eating.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutbrown View Post
    I guess I'm still in the mindset of having a treat to feel better - need to work on that one!
    If the MEALS you eat are fantastic, you'll feel less need for dessert and treats. This is not a diet, this is not diet food. To me, primal food is rich, decadent, hearty and satisfying. Eating steak for lunch IS a treat!

    In terms of tempting the kids - I've made primal cupcakes with just a small amount of honey because my daughter especially is pretty sugar addicted, she wouldn't eat them - I had the idea of making them with sugar and then gradually reducing it. My son eats a good variety of foods but my daughter is very fussy. I'd read that coconut flour was a good source of protein so was thinking that primal cakes might be better than conventional cakes. Desperation talking! I am working on getting her to eat more proper food too and we're getting there. I guess i was looking for some short cuts! Silly really.
    Stop trying to trick them into thinking they're eating sugar and liking it. That is even more ridiculous than hiding veggies in cupcakes. Cake is cake is cake is cake. Cake is a treat. Its junk food. You know what else is a good source of protein? Meat! Clearly your daughter is following your patterns, and now is the time to replace those bad habits and lead by example. SERVE good food and let her choose which good foods she will eat at that meal. If she doesn't eat, she'll be good and hungry at the next meal.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

    There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

    DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •