Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: not losing weight page

chestnutbrown is offline Member

not losing weight

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi

I've been eating primally for about 2 months now but frustratingly I haven't lost any weight. I'll lose a bit, gain a bit and basically stay the same. Before Christmas last year, I was eating primally for about a month and lost a bit of weight. I fell off the wagon big time over Christmas and put on 11lbs! I've lost some of that, but am not back to my pre-christmas weight yet.

I haven't been 100% primal 100% of the time - I do occasionally give in to laziness/lack of choices (esp when at others' houses) and have something non primal, but for the most part, I am eatings lots of veggies, not much fruit, good fats like nuts and avocado, plenty of meat, fish and eggs and leave out the grains and sugar. Kicking the sugar is harder than the grains!

I feel like I'm doing the right thing most of the time but the odd slip up is stopping me from making progress.

I'm also not exercising much at the moment - I had been attending an aqua aerobics class and a pilates class but have had to stop these due to tricky finances. I'm also hampered by a repetitive strain injury to my knee which is making even walking painful at the moment.

I'm female and about 260lbs, so I'd really like to get going on the weightloss as I've got a long way to go! I definitely feel better for eating in this way, but need to see results on the scales/in my clothes size too!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    What exactly are you eating, how often and how much? What are the non-primal foods?

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    I would deffo start some sort of journal recording what you are eating. Everyone is different with weight loss, some deffo find it easier than others.

A few things I have found for anyone going down the palio route.

1. Keep it simple and stick to the Book. Its way too easy to get information over load
    2. Don't give up, good things take time and patience. It takes time to put weight on so its going to take time to take it off.
    3. You will find the best way for "you" something will trigger the weight loss, the trick is finding what it is...experiment.
    4. Don't look at it as a weight loss programme. look at it as a healthy way of living

I hope this helps. I have huge respect for anyone who takes the leap to make a change. Good luck
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

BurritoJimmy is offline Junior Member
    Focus on the low calorie veggies, fish, and lean meats to satisfy hunger. You don't need a bunch of added fats like avocado and nuts. It's not that it's bad for you but rather than using those fats as fuel, you can use your stored body fats as fuel. At your bodyfat level you should be satiated on a mostly protein diet.

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    What exactly are you eating, how often and how much? What are the non-primal foods?
    For example, today I had salmon with coleslaw and cherry tomatoes for breakfast and have had salad (with some grapes) and tuna mayo with avocado for lunch. Dinner will probably be chicken and veggies. My non primal food today has been a small home made cupcake, made with coconut flour, cocoa powder, sugar (to try to tempt my kids to eat them!), coconut oil and eggs.

Yesterday I had some homemade no grain granola (non primal ingredient being some honey) with milk, lunch at a friends house, so non primal - tomato soup, small bread roll and small chocolate cake bar, dinner was gammon with veggies and some yoghurt with no grain granola for desert. I did also succumb to a couple of jaffa cakes in the evening - I blame my husband for buying them!

This is fairly typical of how I'm eating at the moment. I know I need to stop the sugar slip ups and need to find a strategy for staying primal when eating at other people's houses, but am I really doing that badly?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    I would deffo start some sort of journal recording what you are eating. Everyone is different with weight loss, some deffo find it easier than others.

A few things I have found for anyone going down the palio route.

1. Keep it simple and stick to the Book. Its way too easy to get information over load
    2. Don't give up, good things take time and patience. It takes time to put weight on so its going to take time to take it off.
    3. You will find the best way for "you" something will trigger the weight loss, the trick is finding what it is...experiment.
    4. Don't look at it as a weight loss programme. look at it as a healthy way of living

I hope this helps. I have huge respect for anyone who takes the leap to make a change. Good luck

Thanks Richard, I'll definitely start logging my foods for a while, I think it will give me some clarity on where I'm going wrong. Sounds like you've done brilliantly! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by BurritoJimmy View Post
    Focus on the low calorie veggies, fish, and lean meats to satisfy hunger. You don't need a bunch of added fats like avocado and nuts. It's not that it's bad for you but rather than using those fats as fuel, you can use your stored body fats as fuel. At your bodyfat level you should be satiated on a mostly protein diet.
    I thought I was supposed to ramp up the fats to become fat-adapted? It's all so confusing!

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutbrown View Post
    For example, today I had salmon with coleslaw and cherry tomatoes for breakfast and have had salad (with some grapes) and tuna mayo with avocado for lunch. Dinner will probably be chicken and veggies. My non primal food today has been a small home made cupcake, made with coconut flour, cocoa powder, sugar (to try to tempt my kids to eat them!), coconut oil and eggs.

Yesterday I had some homemade no grain granola (non primal ingredient being some honey) with milk, lunch at a friends house, so non primal - tomato soup, small bread roll and small chocolate cake bar, dinner was gammon with veggies and some yoghurt with no grain granola for desert. I did also succumb to a couple of jaffa cakes in the evening - I blame my husband for buying them!

This is fairly typical of how I'm eating at the moment. I know I need to stop the sugar slip ups and need to find a strategy for staying primal when eating at other people's houses, but am I really doing that badly?
    This all sonds good to me. I'v had honey since I started this with Greek Yougurt and still lost weight.

I would do a journal with the calorie value of everything ( at least for a while) to work out your daily intake. I'v been under 2000 a day every day sometimes less, and it worked for me.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

CradlingaLion is offline Member
    Could it be that your struggle has nothing to do with diet and exercise at all, but that you're:

not getting enough sleep? This can be a biggie

are too stressed out/not getting enough play? you mentioned finances... that can be a heavy load for some

not getting enough outdoor time/vitamin D?

Quote Originally Posted by CradlingaLion View Post
    Could it be that your struggle has nothing to do with diet and exercise at all, but that you're:

not getting enough sleep? This can be a biggie

are too stressed out/not getting enough play? you mentioned finances... that can be a heavy load for some

not getting enough outdoor time/vitamin D?
    You could be right on this one!

I definitely don't get enough sleep - a 5 year old and a 3 year old make sure of that! I'm working on going to bed earlier as I tend to be a bit self destructive and stay up too late.

There are a few stresses at the moment, didn't think they were playing too much of a part, but maybe they are affecting things more than I realised......

outdoor time and vitamin D - hmmmm..... it's pretty cold and miserable here in the UK at the moment so outdoor time is definitely at a minimum and anytime spent outside is with as much skin covered in warm clothing as possible! So that one's probably true too! I often read Mark's posts about being outside a lot and think that it's ok for him to say that being self employed with grown up kids and living in California! Ho hum, we each have to work with what we have and that said, my kids love being outside, so I guess I should make the most of that. Roll on the summer! Though if it's anything like last year's summer over here, there won't be much vitamin D to be had!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast