Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: not losing weight page 4

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    As for eating at other people's houses, practice saying "no thank you."
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutbrown View Post
    I guess I'm still in the mindset of having a treat to feel better - need to work on that one!
    The way I get past this is to actively work to replace what a treat is from 'bad' treats to 'good' treats. Try to train your palate to enjoy the darkest chocolate possible (I'm currently enjoying Lindt 85%). There's basically no way you can sit down an eat an entire block of that in one sitting, since your saliva glands go on strike after a couple of pieces. But it's SO yummy.

Or have a piece of jerky. I make my own jerky out of schnitzel and/or thinly sliced topside steak, and it's quite awesome (MEAT chewing gum!). In fact, the only downside to it is that the kids pretend to be dogs and dog trainers, and reward each other for 'learning tricks' with 'doggy treats' or jerky. So I frequently run out.....
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-28-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

chestnutbrown is offline Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement everyone. I think I have been kidding myself that I'm doing well and have been failing to take note of the extent to which I'm not following it, thinking that a little treat here and there won't hurt but those treats build up! Constant vigilance from now on!

calee is offline Senior Member
    You've gotten great advice. Congratulations on having an open mind and being able to hear it instead of being defensive. It gets easier to eat PB with each passing day because of how good I feel.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I just tell people I had a HUGE meal and can't eat anything right now. Even though I'm a bottomless dump truck food hole, most people aren't, and they will understand what it means to not be hungry.

As for the fat, I second the above advice. Once fat-adapted or free of the need/urge to rely on carbs quite so heavily, the macros you eat can vary quite a bit! Some folks like to cycle their ratios, others just shoot for keeping it stable. I tend to stay high-fat, about 65% daily caloric intake and often more, because everything just runs better (gut, mind, body temperature, etc.) when I do. But that's not true for everyone.

The ONE BIGGEST BREAKTHROUGH I've ever had since trying adjusting my macros is high-protein. I'm 5'9", hover around 175 pounds and 18% body fat, and a pound of meat is how I start my feeding time, pretty much every day, without fail. But them I also might have eggs, oysters, and other protein-dense foods. This feeds my lean mass and helps to prevent cravings, makes my bottomless pit a little less bottomless. And with protein so high, you will make some glucose

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    In terms of tempting the kids - I've made primal cupcakes with just a small amount of honey because my daughter especially is pretty sugar addicted, she wouldn't eat them - I had the idea of making them with sugar and then gradually reducing it. My son eats a good variety of foods but my daughter is very fussy. I'd read that coconut flour was a good source of protein so was thinking that primal cakes might be better than conventional cakes. Desperation talking! I am working on getting her to eat more proper food too and we're getting there. I guess i was looking for some short cuts! Silly really.
    You don't need to tempt your daughter to eat "primal cupcakes" instead of real food. Kids will not starve if we cut out the crap in their diets, or if we don't browbeat them or attempt to cater to their whims. Food manufacturers make huge profits by convincing people they need to feed their kids a special diet of junk food and snack food, and to deny them what they ask for (because they've seen it advertised) would be mean and unthinkable.

You're the parent. Do what parents everywhere else in the world do. Feed her what you're having. When she's hungry enough, she'll start eating.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I thought I was supposed to ramp up the fats to become fat-adapted? It's all so confusing!
    Do you have the "Primal Blueprint" book? Mark explains how to choose your macro levels for weightloss. Primal by the book turns out to be about 50-60% fat. I'm not sure why that poster recommended low fat.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Do you have the "Primal Blueprint" book? Mark explains how to choose your macro levels for weightloss. Primal by the book turns out to be about 50-60% fat. I'm not sure why that poster recommended low fat.
    The default CW is that fat is empty calories that can be eliminated from the diet with no disadvantages. The new CW I have seen frequently of late is to admit that fat is essential and that many people do well on a high fat diet, then recommend that everyone eat a fat free diet for weight loss because some people need more carbs than others, or don't want to go through an adaptation process, or just like the convenience of buying whatever they normally buy at the store.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    With regards to treats....
    Every so often, we love to eat something awesome because it is awesome. The rest of the time, when you want a treat, it is probably not about hunger or wanting something awesome. It's about boredom, habit, anger, emotions.

Next time you want a food treat, try something non-food to "treat" yourself. A walk, polish your nails, get up and stretch, laugh at cats online.

I've found that like 90% of the treats I want, I don't really want... I either need a break or its a habit. It does help to find primal treats- I ended my after dinner treat pretty quickly when it was a banana or orange versus chocolate or ice cream. I ended my sugar treats at work by realizing it was the break I enjoyed... now I walk.

So yes, crack down on the treats, but make sure you have a replacement.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwood View Post
    carbohydrate is also assential part for the weight gain, The diet for the carbohydrate meal bread, potatoes, brown rice, pasta, couscous,fresh and dried fruit.....
    Huh? This is very non-Primal advice, particularly for someone wanting to lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Huh? This is very non-Primal advice, particularly for someone wanting to lose weight.
    I think that's a spam post.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast