Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: not losing weight page 3

tiva is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    My suggestions: if you want to lose weight and your current loose primal isn't working, then you need to weigh, measure, and keep track. My guess is that your portion sizes are probably a LOT bigger than you're estimating. Weighing is a real eye opener (a good digital scale is only $15, so invest in one).

For me, weight loss is easiest when I eat the following each day:
    -eat 2 or 3 meals a day, absolutely no snacking (I do better by eating in a shorter window, say 5 to 8 hours. This is true for lots of people)
    -moderate protein servings: preferably 4 to 6 oz or 2 to 3 eggs at each meal. Fatty meats and fish are helpful. Measure!
    -veggies: I do best with lots of salad greens, non-starchy veggies, and reasonable servings of less-starchy root veggies (not potatoes for me; some people lose weight ok with them)
    -dairy: I'm ok with small servings of full-fat dairy; ie, full fat cheese, greek yogurt, or heavy cream. No more than 3 oz a day of cheese and 4 T a day of cream
    -avocado, black olives, coconut oil, butter, olive oil, nuts: good fats are great, but portions should be moderate. Measure and record your amounts. It's easy to eat far more than you think you're eating!
    -fruit: lots of women lose weight more steadily when they're really careful about fruit portions.

It's great to say: "eat until you're satisfied", but a lot of us have forgotten what real hunger cues are and what reasonable portion sizes are. Good luck.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutbrown View Post
    For example, today I had salmon with coleslaw and cherry tomatoes for breakfast and have had salad (with some grapes) and tuna mayo with avocado for lunch. Dinner will probably be chicken and veggies. My non primal food today has been a small home made cupcake, made with coconut flour, cocoa powder, sugar (to try to tempt my kids to eat them!), coconut oil and eggs.

Yesterday I had some homemade no grain granola (non primal ingredient being some honey) with milk, lunch at a friends house, so non primal - tomato soup, small bread roll and small chocolate cake bar, dinner was gammon with veggies and some yoghurt with no grain granola for desert. I did also succumb to a couple of jaffa cakes in the evening - I blame my husband for buying them!

This is fairly typical of how I'm eating at the moment. I know I need to stop the sugar slip ups and need to find a strategy for staying primal when eating at other people's houses, but am I really doing that badly?
    Unless he pinned you down and shoved them in your cake hole, your hubby is not to blame

STOP with the desserts, snacks and treats. Regardless of whether the ingredients are 'primal' or not, they are treats, and there is a certain psychological addiction to treats for most people. (incidentally, why are you trying to tempt your kids to eat them? The healthy alternative to SAD cupcakes is NO cupcakes)

You should be eating enough FOOD at meals that you are sated and satisfied and there is no room for dessert. By FOOD I mean meat, fat and veggies. Someone asked once, now that they don't eat bread, what to serve with soup at dinner. The unanimous answer was "more soup."

And you should be eating when you're hungry, not because its a set meal time, and not because someone offered it to you, or because you deserve your fair share. Really concentrate your efforts on listening to your body's hunger and satiety cues. Shopping, planning and batch cooking primal meals will mean that you always have a healthy food option available at the next eating opportunity.

As for eating at other people's houses, practice saying "no thank you."
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It's likely all the slip ups that are impeding your weight loss. I agree with the others, stop half assing this and go primal 100%. You're slipping up on granola, which is really calorically dense, depending on the type, I know the type I used to eat is somewhere near 200 calories (most of it carbs and sugar) per bowl, a couple of snack cakes, well there you go, another few hundred calories. You could be eating an additional 6-700 calories a day of carbs and not realize it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the others, the wheat slip-ups could be derailing your efforts. I can eat things with sugar in them weekly and lose weight, but if I have something with wheat it's a lost week. Sounds like you truly know where you can improve though.

Good luck!

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Any problems with bowel movements?

orpat512 is offline Junior Member
    Losing weight is not enough unless it is a healthy loss. There are people who do all they can in an attempt to lose weight fast and in the process, they end up losing their hair, their glowing skin, and the energy to perform daily tasks.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    You could still just be eating too much food overall for you.
    It took me a while to work it out but it was the case for me, now I eat less, and am losing more again.

But I agree with stopping the treats first.

chestnutbrown is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiva View Post
    My suggestions: if you want to lose weight and your current loose primal isn't working, then you need to weigh, measure, and keep track. My guess is that your portion sizes are probably a LOT bigger than you're estimating. Weighing is a real eye opener (a good digital scale is only $15, so invest in one).
    I think this is probably the crux of the problem! I'll have to weigh, measure and log for a while and be ultra strict on the non primals. Even with the "non diets" there seems to be no getting away from the counting and tracking! Still, if it helps......

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Unless he pinned you down and shoved them in your cake hole, your hubby is not to blame

STOP with the desserts, snacks and treats. Regardless of whether the ingredients are 'primal' or not, they are treats, and there is a certain psychological addiction to treats for most people. (incidentally, why are you trying to tempt your kids to eat them? The healthy alternative to SAD cupcakes is NO cupcakes)
    You got me there! I've got myself here. I've got to get myself out of it.

I guess I'm still in the mindset of having a treat to feel better - need to work on that one!

In terms of tempting the kids - I've made primal cupcakes with just a small amount of honey because my daughter especially is pretty sugar addicted, she wouldn't eat them - I had the idea of making them with sugar and then gradually reducing it. My son eats a good variety of foods but my daughter is very fussy. I'd read that coconut flour was a good source of protein so was thinking that primal cakes might be better than conventional cakes. Desperation talking! I am working on getting her to eat more proper food too and we're getting there. I guess i was looking for some short cuts! Silly really.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    Any problems with bowel movements?
    ummm.... nope! all fine in that department thanks! Dare I ask why you ask?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast