Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: not losing weight page 2

chestnutbrown is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    This all sonds good to me. I'v had honey since I started this with Greek Yougurt and still lost weight.

I would do a journal with the calorie value of everything ( at least for a while) to work out your daily intake. I'v been under 2000 a day every day sometimes less, and it worked for me.
    Thanks Richard, you're being very generous in not slamming me for the blatant sugar slips!

On the odd occasion that I have logged my food (through MyFitnessPal), I generally seem to be anywhere between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, so not particularly high in that respect and feel satisfied on that (on a CW/SAD diet when trying to lose weight through low fat, I struggled to stay below 2200 and was always wanting more!), I am struggling to stay between 50-100g carbs, so I guess that's an area to improve on.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurritoJimmy View Post
    Focus on the low calorie veggies, fish, and lean meats to satisfy hunger. You don't need a bunch of added fats like avocado and nuts. It's not that it's bad for you but rather than using those fats as fuel, you can use your stored body fats as fuel. At your bodyfat level you should be satiated on a mostly protein diet.
    Isn't the whole point of primal to get at least 50% of your calories from fat? How are you sated on low-cal veggies and lean meats with no added fat?

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=chestnutbrown;1109360]Thanks Richard, you're being very generous in not slamming me for the blatant sugar slips!

On the odd occasion that I have logged my food (through MyFitnessPal), I generally seem to be anywhere between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, so not particularly high in that respect and feel satisfied on that (on a CW/SAD diet when trying to lose weight through low fat, I struggled to stay below 2200 and was always wanting more!), I am struggling to stay between 50-100g carbs, so I guess that's an area to improve on.[/QUOTE

Don't look at food as good or bad, just stuff you choose not to eat. I'm amazed your not losing as the typical intake of daily food looks ideal.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    Don't look at food as good or bad, just stuff you choose not to eat. I'm amazed your not losing as the typical intake of daily food looks ideal.
    Good advice! I must start choosing not to eat the bread and sugar! Definitely not eating them as much as before and mostly don't miss them, so I guess I'm doing ok.....

I'm annoyed that I'm not losing, as you said it's a lifestyle change to be healthy not a weightloss plan, but I was kind of hoping that would be a benefit!

Thanks for the encouragement, I feel ready to figure out where the problems lie!

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend using MyPlate - Food Diary & Food Calorie Counter | LIVESTRONG.COM to track your calories. Also, just try to get a bit of exercise every day. I'm at 260 too, and I've been on a plateau for a while, so I feel your pain.

Ah, I just read the stuff about sleep. Yeah, that's a problem, you definitely need good sleep to help loose weight. I've never had kids so I have no ideas for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I would recommend using MyPlate - Food Diary & Food Calorie Counter | LIVESTRONG.COM to track your calories. Also, just try to get a bit of exercise every day. I'm at 260 too, and I've been on a plateau for a while, so I feel your pain.

Ah, I just read the stuff about sleep. Yeah, that's a problem, you definitely need good sleep to help loose weight. I've never had kids so I have no ideas for that.
    Thanks, I'll take a look!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You're not going to see 100% of the benefits, if you're not putting in 100%. Food is just one small part of the Blueprint, and you admit you're not even doing THAT close to 100%, or 100% of the time.

I dont' know what you were expecting, but you didn't get to 260 overnight, and its not going to come off overnight.

I didn't see ANY changes in my size/shape for 6 weeks. Its been over a year now, and I've *gradually* dropped 2 pants sizes and 2 bra sizes, and I still have a ways to go. I am in no rush. I can say that PB has been pretty effortless, because its not something I work at or obsess about...its just what I do probably 75% of the time. I'm sure if I actually worked at it, and put in close to 100% effort most of the time, I'd be farther along.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

BurritoJimmy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutbrown View Post
    I thought I was supposed to ramp up the fats to become fat-adapted? It's all so confusing!
    I was assuming you already were since you have been eating this way for awhile. You don't have to keep fat at a certain percentage to maintain fat-adaptedness or whatever. You just have to keep carb calories low and protein calories to a level where you don't lose muscle. So after you reach your protein limit for the day if you're still hungry then have a source of fat to tide you over if your sick of eating veggie.

BurritoJimmy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    Isn't the whole point of primal to get at least 50% of your calories from fat? How are you sated on low-cal veggies and lean meats with no added fat?
    If primal is 50% fat then I won't dispute it, but there seems to be wide variation on the forum regarding what is primal. As far as staying satiated a person with a lot of fat is able to handle much more drastic calorie cuts and not be hungry than a person who is lean already. I'm fairly lean, not super lean, but can do all protein days which consist of about two pounds of chicken breast and some veggie juice or blended salads without feeling hungry at all.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    For example, today I had salmon with coleslaw and cherry tomatoes for breakfast and have had salad (with some grapes) and tuna mayo with avocado for lunch. Dinner will probably be chicken and veggies. My non primal food today has been a small home made cupcake, made with coconut flour, cocoa powder, sugar (to try to tempt my kids to eat them!), coconut oil and eggs.

Yesterday I had some homemade no grain granola (non primal ingredient being some honey) with milk, lunch at a friends house, so non primal - tomato soup, small bread roll and small chocolate cake bar, dinner was gammon with veggies and some yoghurt with no grain granola for desert. I did also succumb to a couple of jaffa cakes in the evening - I blame my husband for buying them!

This is fairly typical of how I'm eating at the moment. I know I need to stop the sugar slip ups and need to find a strategy for staying primal when eating at other people's houses, but am I really doing that badly?
    Yup, you need to clean up the sugar and wheat slip ups, plus watch the "primal cupcakes" and "primal granola". They are extra calories you do not need. Plus if your body is anything like mine, any amount of gluten (wheat) will bloat you for at least a few days.

You also do not note calories. You can not eat unlimited amounts of fats and calories. Track your calories (somewhere like fitday) and get an idea of how much you are eating. You need to kind of pay attention to how you make things. Does your tuna come with 2 T of mayo or 1/4 cup or 1T?

Everyone's calorie needs are different. But I dunno, if you are eating say 3000 calories day, you may need to reduce that. If you are eating like 1500 a day, maybe the dairy, grain cheats or sugar are really hurting you.

My start would be to eliminate all grains for 30 days- no cheats and see where that gets you, while simultaneously aiming for around 2000 or so calories a day. See where that gets you. If you need a treat, reach for a primal version of what you are craving- if you want sweet, have fruit. If you want something fatty or rich have a measured amount of nuts etc.

Don't eat primal cupcakes etc. (just an FYI, I make primal blueberry muffins. A small muffin is over 250 calories. Yeah, won't bloat me like a wheat muffin, but not much better for fat loss. By comparison, a small banana is 100 calories. ) I don't think primal treats are a bad thing, but they are a treat and should be used as such.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast