Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beans & pressure cooking page

mgrollins is offline Junior Member

Beans & pressure cooking

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One of the sacrifices in my Paleo experience (I'm very new) is sure to be a nice plate of beans.

I've seen tid-bits of information that indicates pressure cooking beans gets denatures the lecithins (?) rendering them 'Paleo-friendly.'

This sounds too good to be true, otherwise it would be highlighted more.

Can anyone help shed light on this issue for me??

Thanks so much!!!

Matt

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    If you soak them for a LONG TIMER in the whey from home made kefir, that is supposed to help too. Then pressure cook. I do this and have no apparent side effects....

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrollins View Post
    One of the sacrifices in my Paleo experience (I'm very new) is sure to be a nice plate of beans.
    I don't do sacrifices and will eat some legumes when I fancy them. I'd rather just accept there may be a tiny risk to my health, but, as I have had no traumas I am sure it is negligible. I LIKE broad beans, peas, baked beans and I will eat them if I don't suffer any ill effects. I also eat potatoes and tomatoes in reasonable portions as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find I have a cold lager or a nice pint of bitter if we get a summer here in England this year!
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrollins View Post

I've seen tid-bits of information that indicates pressure cooking beans gets denatures the lecithins (?) rendering them 'Paleo-friendly.'

This sounds too good to be true, otherwise it would be highlighted more.

Can anyone help shed light on this issue for me??

Thanks so much!!!

Matt
    You can boil beans under pressure to deactivate the lectins, sure. They're still a source of poor quality protein and difficult to digest no matter what you do, though. Poverty food. Properly prepared beans may not be necessarily harmful, but you're still displacing more nutritious food with them. Compare 200 calories of beans to 200 calories of eggs, salmon, potatoes or broccoli.

Canned beans are pressure cooked. Soak and rinse them really well to get all that nasty canned goop off and you may be alright. Especially if you soak them overnight in kefir even further. But still...eh.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Also, beans are gross. They taste like inferior calories. They taste like filler.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You can boil beans under pressure to deactivate the lectins, sure. They're still a source of poor quality protein and difficult to digest no matter what you do, though.
    Why are they so touted by nutritionist and even some fitness gurus? They all talk about fiber and protein and feeling full, etc.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Why are they so touted by nutritionist and even some fitness gurus? They all talk about fiber and protein and feeling full, etc.
    Fiber = unnecessary, potentially harmful
    Protein = Beans < Animals.
    Feeling Full = Full of gas. Awesome.
    Nutritionists/Fitness Gurus = Want you to trade butter for linoleic acid. Eggs for beans. CW mimicking idiots.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I don't do sacrifices and will eat some legumes when I fancy them. I'd rather just accept there may be a tiny risk to my health, but, as I have had no traumas I am sure it is negligible. I LIKE broad beans, peas, baked beans and I will eat them if I don't suffer any ill effects. I also eat potatoes and tomatoes in reasonable portions as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find I have a cold lager or a nice pint of bitter if we get a summer here in England this year!
    Sounds completely sensible to me!

I feel the same way about white potatoes, dairy, and the occasional tortilla chips and salsa or a bowl of oatmeal.

I'll eat beans as a secondary ingredient in a delicious recipe, or if I'm eating ethnic dishes, but not as a substitute for the protein and nutrition of a serving of meat.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    CW mimicking idiots.
    Thanks.

I had added them in when I first started out (cw dieting) cuz I thought I was suppose to, so cutting them back out was no big deal. However when things quit progressing I was starting to think maybe I should add them back in, at least until the extra fat is all gone.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast