Thread: Shakeology and protein bars page

Rael is offline Junior Member

Shakeology and protein bars

Shop Now
    I'm new to MDA, just started reading the blueprint book and interested in learning more, I do have a question on Mark's (or the community) view of Shakeology. Seems as though the ingredients are all part of the MDA list. I'm sure the point would be to just eat well and not have to get the nutrition in a shake just curious. Same question about protein bars, although I imagine they are more processed and include items not on the MDA list, but still wondering if they are on the good list or the bad list.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Depends who you talk to.
    Some like myself dont see things like that as food, but some do.
    I guess you have to decide what is ok for you or not.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    I'll be interested to hear responses to this. Personally, it looks okay to me (although I'm having trouble finding the nutrition facts). My only concerns would be:
    - whey protein -- really not great for a meal replacement because it absorbs really quickly... really best if it's after a workout. For a meal replacement, go egg white protein.
    - sacha inchi -- which it looks like is their vegan protein option. Vegetarian sources of protein tend to have low bioavailability, which means you're not absorbing all of what's in it. I googled it and couldn't find any numbers on it, but I'd be reluctant to spend money on something when some of the nutrients are null.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    I'll be interested to hear responses to this. Personally, it looks okay to me (although I'm having trouble finding the nutrition facts). My only concerns would be:
    - whey protein -- really not great for a meal replacement because it absorbs really quickly... really best if it's after a workout. For a meal replacement, go egg white protein.
    - sacha inchi -- which it looks like is their vegan protein option. Vegetarian sources of protein tend to have low bioavailability, which means you're not absorbing all of what's in it. I googled it and couldn't find any numbers on it, but I'd be reluctant to spend money on something when some of the nutrients are null.
    Actually, just found the nutrition facts and the ingredients list -- the latter of which is HUGE, so that probably won't be highly approved on this forum. The nutrition facts aren't bad, just very low in fat.

pwujszuf is offline Banned
    I guess you have to decide what is ok for you or not.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If they're part of your 20% then go for it. Personally I wouldn't touch them.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Non food, you can do better.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Processed, sugar Calories from liquids that are a fast insulin hit... just eat real foods instead.
    You could do worse, but also a lot better.
    ad astra per aspera

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm not a fan of protein bars, most of them have about the same sugar count as a standard candy bar. I do use Shakeology, though. I'm a casualty of this busy, busy world and Shake-o makes a good meal replacement at breakfast.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012