Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - unable to break my fast page

hayley3 is offline Member

Unhappy Help - unable to break my fast

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I need help - I'm under an incredible amount of stress that I'm trying to deal with and it so happened that circumstances led to me starting what I though was a 24hour fast but is approaching 30 hours now. I tried to break it at 24 hours however I had a mouthful of salmon and nearly barfed - it all went into the bin. I'm covered in bruises but I'm not anaemic or iron deficient and this is the first time I've ever experienced turning food away, in my past I'd use it for comfort. Should I just wait it out and try eating a bit later or force something down? I've had a cup of coffee and water throughout. What do I do???

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

~Hayley
    There are none so blind as those determined not to see

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    well coffee is an appetite suppressant so I'm not sure that's the best idea! when and for how long did you last sleep? last exercise?

and I think you should eat something! Especially since you are worried. How's your vitamin C intake? Vitamin E? (lack of vitamin C can lead to bruising as can a surplus of vitamin E). Seems as though your body is out of balance due in part to all your stress

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Can you try some broth, maybe work your way up to the actual meat? Soft scrambled eggs with butter maybe?

Good luck! I hope you find something that works soon.

mstrudle is offline Member
    Go to the doctor.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    If you are vomiting up everything you eat and spontaneously bruising - you need more help than anyone here can give you. Go to the doctor.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Maybe focus on the stress - can you get some stress-relieving exercise? I suspect once your stress levels drop you will find it easier to eat. Unfortunately if you get even more stressed about not eating ... well... hope I haven't made it worse.

The only concern I have about going to a doctor is that they may prescribe pills for stress, which is a short term sticking plaster approach to a bigger problem. You can survive without food for quite a long time (so long as you keep your fluids up) so try a bit of exercise and whatever else helps. If you let the stress issues continue it will lead to ever decreasing health - I know this from experience. Don't less the stress continue after this event. It really needs to be dealt with.

Try breaking your fast with a favourite food, even if it isn't primal. You could try deliberately eating an emotionally comforting food, even if it is cake! Don't tell anyone I said that!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Are you on any medication or supplements? These might be affecting you too.

hayley3 is offline Member
    Thanks guys - I'm pretty sure it's the stressful week I've had - I haven't had spontaneous vomiting, just almost when I tried to eat today. I didn't realise coffee stopped you feeling hungry so I expect it's just a combination of several things. I'm home now and have managed a bit of chicken with mayo in some lettuce, not a lot but enough. I'm on no medication/suppliments or anything and take plenty of exercise - I don't get stressed often so I'm just not used to dealing with it well - house selling/struggling with massive budget issues sure are a sanity tester. I'm gonna chill tonight and start afresh tomorrow. I think it was just a vent and reality check I needed.

Thanks again.

~Hayley
    There are none so blind as those determined not to see

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Glad you're feeling ok! Hopefully you wake up ravenous for a big primal breakfast/lunch tomorrow!

beckinwolf is offline Member
    Maybe you could wait for the major stress to pass before attempting a fast again. I think the 2 things combined might be too much.
    Carpe Diem!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast