Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between Paleo and Primal page

maba is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I see a lot of talk about Paleo and Primal in the threads, with the former being stricter than the latter. When I looked up Paleo Diet, as defined by Dr. Cordain, he emphasizes on lean meat and low SFA, which is not primal. So what exactly is the difference between the two?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

It's my understanding that the main difference is about fat intake. How much and which kinds of fat are OK to eat. Primal does tend to be a bit more relaxed, in my opinion.

Clint is offline Senior Member

Tarlach is offline Member

Cordain has his opinion on paleo and most paleo eaters think that what he said about saturated fat is wrong. Apparently Cordain also said that diet soda is ok on paleo (that just makes him sound stupid). I find Neanderthin a better paleo starters book.

Paleo man hunted the biggest animals (who had the most fat) of the time and plenty of Hunter Gatherer tribes eat a lot of fat. I certainly do not limit my saturated fat at all.

The Paleo diet is eating what paleo man ate, which is what the PB is based upon.

Paleo is more strict, as foods such as Nightshades where not available to paleo man are out of the paleo diet, but allowed in the PB.

I eat very strict paleo and I do not eat The Seven Deadly Sins:

Grains

Dairy

Refined foods

Nightshades

Tubers

Legumes

Modernly palatable

Or as my wife puts it - we don't eat:

Wheat, rice, oats, barley, rye, bamboo, maize/corn, sorghum, sugar cane, millet, fonio, buckwheat, rhubarb, amaranth grain, sugar beet, beetroot, spinach, cream, butter, ghee, milk, cheese, casein, whey, yogurt, milk powders, kumis, bell peppers, chilli peppers, potato, tomato, eggplant, arrowroot, cassava/tapioca, sweet potato, yam, jicama, alfalfa, peas, beans, lentils, carob, peanuts, cashews, mango, olives, cacoa, okra, coffee, stevia, squash, pumpkin, salt, honey and artificial preservatives, flavors, colors or sweeteners

... We also minimize consumption of curcubits as It is very hard to find any info on how much of them paleo man may have eaten.

What I consider paleo is much more restrictive than PB. I thought that Mark refereed to PB as 80/20 applied to Grok's diet somewhere...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Catalina is offline Member

I agree with your take on the differences, Tarlach, and I admire your commitment. One thing that really made an impression on me in Mark's book was when he said (and I'm paraphrasing), "Strive for 100%, but don't let it make you crazy--if you hit around 80%, that's good." That really works for me, because I love going for it, but I know from previous experience that bouts of beating myself up for some perceived slip were VERY counterproductive. So I don't PLAN for 20% "non-primal," but accepting that I might deviate, for me, seems to keep me more around 90-95%. I think I'm sort of like a teenager--tell me I can't have something, and I want it, but tell me I can, and it loses it's appeal. . .hopefully, more and more (I've only been doing primal for a month now).

Wow Tarlach, thanks for the info and hats off to you for being so strictly paleo. Just curious, what does you average daily diet look like? And what do you mean by "Modernly palatable"?

Tarlach is offline Member

By modernly palatable I mean food that are have only been introduced into the diet by new age technology, genetic modification or foods that did not grow near paleo man.

My eating is always different, but on an average work day:

Before 5pm - Some beef jerky and or handful of nuts.

Dinner - 1-2lb of meat.

I sometimes eat completely different meals and I do eat some fruit and veg during the week. My wife also eats more meals than I do (she is also training the kids to eat set meals so they eat the expected lunch at school etc).

I'm almost 100% with the list above, but I do have very dark chocolate (ie. 100% cacoa) rarely, or coffee. As they are both seeds, I'm not that worried about having them as cheats.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

What? No chile peppers! Forget it!

Said both seriously and semi-sarcastically, what DO you eat? Distilled water?

And seriously asked, do you think your health is that much better than a Grokster that is more conventional PB?

I'd like to also offer two thoughts on your theories: One, there were many geographies and hence many paleo diets. And I'm sure as they ate what they could, many of your forbidden foods were being consumed. Two, even if Paleo man didn't eat some kind of food regularly doesn't mean that it isn't just fine for us to. Squashes, for instance, a New World discovery. Processed dairy, like cheese and yogurt. Or vice versa. Coconut might be one.

Clint is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure if my first post showed up. It shows when I'm logged in, but it doesn't show when I'm not logged in.

Sorry if this is a repeat.

This might help with some answers as well.

Mark has a post titled "What's the difference between Primal and Paleo" in the archives.

Tarlach, I noticed spinach is in yor forbidden list, but it isn't part of the 7 deadly sins, so why are you avoiding it? And why no salt either? I'm really intrigued by your diet. I read in another thread that you're now down to your lowest healthily possible BF. How long have you been paleo and what specific positive changes have you noticed in your health? Just curious, I hope I'm not prying.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast