Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Difference between Paleo and Primal page 3

Shop Now

Interesting that everyone seems so fast to defend themselves or their eating habits.

When it comes down to it, eating is a personal choice. It is also greatly influenced by each person's ability to digest and healthily use a food. Some of us are fortunate enough to be able to have dairy, and others not. Some people can eat nightshades with no problems. There are many foods that would fall under a personal choice umbrella, then. Obviously we developed at least some genes to handle those foods, or we wouldn't be able to eat them at all. Just like the lucky few who seem healthy eating a steady diet of grains, it can happen. Read what other people have to say, see if it could apply to you, make your choice about what to do with the info, and then move on.

If you claim to be paleo, you follow those rules. If you claim PB, you follow the PB rules. Or you can claim to be "influenced by" one or the other, and make your own rules. There are some things that have been reliably proven to be true for many, if not all, of us - but as for the rest make your choice. Describe how it works, and then don't get upset if someone doesn't agree with you. That's just silly. We are all here to help each other get healthier, not argue about who is right or wrong.

Tarlach - I am pleased to hear that your family's health has improved with changes to your diet. I agree it works - I am also migraine free without nearly the alterations you have had to make. I am just happy to hear about people relieved of suffering no matter how it happens.

OnTheBayou - good luck finding your path, too. I am right there with you in agreeing that I take what I get from all this and I will feel my way into what will work. I have been using these rules for a very short time, and hopefully we both have success on them.

Good luck to all of you.

"The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

-al'Lan Mandragoran
    "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan

Visit my blog: http://www.antihousewife.com/

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Good post, Lady. That's pretty much what I'm trying to say.

If paleo man did not eat squashes as we know them because they were inconveniently being eaten only by animals in the New World while Grok was in the old, does that make them bad? I don't think so.

OTOH, watermelons have been growing wild in Africa for who know how long. They are probably paleo in the timeline, but should we be eating them, at least in any quantity? Probably not. (I sneaked a very tiny piece when I was serving up for my Dad.)

Tarlach is offline Member

Not that I really eat curcubits anyway, but just for general info...

Watermelon has a much higher and better spread of nutrients and amino acids than something like an apple.

For the same weight, watermelon has less sugar than apple, about 10x more Vitamin A, more vitamin C, more essential fatty acids and more magnesium, potassium, zinc and selenium.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

grandma is offline Member

On the subject of watermelon: seedless watermelons suck and I am dead set against them. Does anyone know where I can sign a petition to have them abolished?

Reading the "no salt" comments brought to mind a concern about iodine. Depending on where you live (midwest) the soil can be very low in iodine and can be lacking in the local produce.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Tarlach is offline Member

We seem to be getting good at permanently messing up food (like watermelon). Apparently wild bananas used to be full of large seeds and are nothing like what we get now.

It makes it very hard to eat what Grok ate, when foods aren't even the same as they were a year ago

Seafood is a good source of iodine and I think that it is usually inland populations (that do not have access to seafood) that suffer from iodine deficiency.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

And why do seedless watermelons suck?

I think they are a blessing. They were developed by natural selection, so it's not like the seeds were blasted with cosmic rays or anything.

Let's pick our battles carefully, not wantonly.

maba is offline Senior Member

OTB, why isn't watermelon PB? I've been having them fr the last 2 days. If it has anything to do with Glycemic Load, then watermelon is good - although it's GI is high, it's GL is low. If it's non-Primal, please let me know why.

Oh, if you think seedless watermelons are bad, check out these LOL:

http://images.google.com/images?q=square%20watermelons&sourceid=ie7&rls=com .microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

And some varieties of bananas in India still have seeds in them, really small ones, almost undiscernible in some cases.

Miriam Guest

This has all been very interesting, all I know from experience is some foods don’t agree with me so I have now eliminated them and as I am now listening to what my body needs it tells me that I function better on just nuts, eggs, meat, vegetables and fats and the rest I can do without.

OTB seedless watermelons do suck – what is the use of eating watermelon if there are no pips to spit out!

grandma is offline Member

seedless watermelons suck because they taste bad and are no fun at all. I have not enjoyed one yet.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

OK, I get the fun part. But if you aren't out of doors, that's a negative.

Seedless don't taste any different that seeded; they mostly have unformed seeds in them anyway. The variation in taste, flavor, sweetness between any two or more melons can be huge and is not the result of being seeded or seedless. I've had seedless that were every bit the equal in flavor of seeded. And just like the seeded ones, some are better than others.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast