Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too much avocado? page 2

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Does your guilt come from the common opinion that avocados, like eggs, are fatty and should be limited to a certain serving?

My dad has had high cholesterol and other problems with the heart, and he almost flipped when I told him I'd eaten 6 eggs in one day (I don't usually, it just happened that day) and at times have a whole avocado a day. Problem is, medical professionals are still telling people to ease up on the eggs and avocados...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Damn, we throw out nearly as many as you eat. We have 8 huge trees. Eat the avocados. Eat them all!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

AntonioCal is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Does your guilt come from the common opinion that avocados, like eggs, are fatty and should be limited to a certain serving?

My dad has had high cholesterol and other problems with the heart, and he almost flipped when I told him I'd eaten 6 eggs in one day (I don't usually, it just happened that day) and at times have a whole avocado a day. Problem is, medical professionals are still telling people to ease up on the eggs and avocados...
    It was kind of a half joke. In CW eating it always seemed like the best tasting foods (desserts, bacon, butter, etc) were always considered unhealthy (and some really are). I guess avocados (and coconut) to me are just so good it feels like they MUST be unhealthy. Good thing they aren't!

Although I think another reason I was curious was because I know there are some foods that are healthy, but only in moderation (like nuts, fruit, etc). So I just wanted to make sure. But know that I've got the green light from you guys I think I'll keep eating them freely.

Oh and I get them 2 for $3 at the local Co-Op. It's ironic because its one of the foods you aren't suppose to need to buy organic, but the organic ones at the Co-Op are cheap than the local big grocery store ($1.99 each).
    22 year old male in Pittsburgh. Primal since 9/12.

Paleobird Guest
    There is no such thing as "too much avocado".

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Avocados here vary in prices. LiDL sell them for 75p, but frequently discount them to 50p. Grocers have them for 50-99p. Other supermarkets sell them for 99p each usually, but they also offer ready-to-eat ones (which I sometimes give into, if I want an avocado NOW ). I tend to stock up on unripe ones when LiDL has an offer and then I bag them with a banana peel when I want them to ripen (it works!). Still don't eat more than a few a month, though. Traditional British veg (and bananas) are my staples. Cheap and cheerful and if it worked for us for milennia, our native veg can't be THAT bad.

PS: Has anyone noticed how SMALL avocados are here in the UK?! They look 1.5 times the size in US photographs.
    Last edited by Kochin; 02-27-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Well heck. Here I thought you had such a charmed life - thin, good looking, smart, and with a new love. Now I find out you're allergic to avocados, and baby, that truly sucks.
    Thanks so much for your kind words, Joanie. :-) I really do have a charmed life. The disappointment of not being able to eat avocados is manageable: when I really crave one, I just cook up a pound of bacon and have a blissful time savoring it. lol
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12