Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Months to Wedding Day!! page 2

marthat is offline Senior Member
    So after 5 days of the Primal Potato Diet, here's the result. I started last Monday at a rather bloated (bad weekend) 156 lbs, up about 3 lbs from my usual range the week before. Each day consisted of potatoes all day, then a moderate mixed supper, usually nothing but tea after supper. One day I IF's until 12:30 (fancy way to say I skipped breakfast).

And this morning? I saw 149.5 on my scale! The first time in months that I've broken through into the 140's - a major mindshift, if you know what I mean. WAHOO!

So I'm eating normal primal this weekend (2 eggs, 1 breakfast sausage for B, black coffee, BAS with avocado and tuna in olive oil at L. Supper is a dinner out/birthday party. At friends. Ribs, Caesar salad (which I'm bringing), a home-baked spelt-based cake, not sure what else. And I'm not drinking at all, so that's one source of bloat that I don't need to worry about.

Plan is to do 5 days of potatoes again next week. Mon-Fri days is easy, regular Primal supper with hubby, then weekend "off".

Core is feeling a bit tighter after the two rowing workouts and the slight weight loss. At least the "north of the navel" area. The southern regions remain pouchy and soft, of course. They will require significantly more work. But it's still nice to be feeling some results.

I rebounded after the weekend from 149.5 on Saturday to 152.5 on Monday, three lbs courtesy of two small forays into desserts. I was attending a birthday dinner party (home-made spelt-based cake with whipping cream for icing - not so bad) and a baby shower (enormous dessert buffet, all pink and white chocolate and puffy cakey things - uggg! I had a few bits, some pink candied popcorn).

So after 2 days of back to all potatoes till supper, I have dropped back to 150.0 this morning. Supper is a regular Primal meal. Compliance is usually perfect - I don't crave anything and my appetite is minimal.

So now on into the 140's! Hubby leaves this evening for 2 1/2 weeks in China and I will be home alone. I plan to cook only minimally, eat up what's in the fridge and freezer (so minimal to no shopping), and spend that extra time on being productive - whatever form that takes. I'll miss him lots, but I admit I'm looking forward to this trial of living alone. First time ever for me, as youngest son just moved out 4 months ago. I will still spend a lot of time and meals with my son as he is developmentally challenged and is still learning to cook for himself. I plan to eat supper at his apartment at least 3 nights a week and teach him some basic cooking methods (like how to cook rice) and some easy recipes. His suppers have been frequently primal by virtue of the fact that he doesn't yet really know how to cook pasta or rice or potatoes. Lots of supper meat and veggie stirfry variations - he can rock a frying pan or a wok. We'll have liver one night - we both love it.

In exercise news, we're excited to be ordering our own Concept 2 rower later today, to be picked up in 2 weeks. In the meantime, I plan to continue to use the rowers at the Y. Hubby went to the Y this past weekend, bought a day pass and used the rowers at my insistence (we're not spending all that money on a piece of equipment that he wants for his heath without him trying it again - it's been years since he used one) and he loved it. He said he loved it even more than he expected to. That bodes well for his fitness level. Between the rower and restarting Kung Fu, he'll be in the best shape in years.

Both he and I have parents who died at 55. My mom died when I was 18 of breast cancer and his (non overweight, but smoker) dad had a fatal heart attack at 55. Now that we are almost 53 and 52, we are feeling that slight back-of-the-brain twinge of mortality. That's why it is so great to be getting into much better health as we age. I intend to live to 90, vibrant and fit, and then die quickly. And I want hubby to be by my side for all or most of that time.

148.7 lbs this morning - WAHOO! That's the average between the 148.5 and 149.0 results that the scale couldn't seem to decide between this morning. Either way it was a new low for this go-around.

I had nothing but a couple of cups of black coffee until 12:30 p.m. today, painlessly, then a 6.5 hour gap with only an additional cup of black coffee until a delayed supper at 7 p.m. Wow! Never before could I go so long with no calories - loving this!

148.0 this morning. Potatoes only until supper. I was hungry for breakfast today, unlike the past 2 days, so I made a grated potato patty but I added too much pepper and didn't really enjoy it much. Had a small bowl of mashed for lunch, then home-made chips about 4. Supper was leftover meatballs and some shredded cabbage fried in butter. Not much appetite for supper, couldn't finish the meatballs. I feel like I overate.

I'm starting to get tired of potatoes. Maybe it's time to take the weekend off and eat other stuff, then try again on Monday when I go back to work.

I gave up my Y membership today. It's good still until April 15, but with the purchase of our new Concept 2 rower (will be here in 2 weeks), plus my other at-home workout equipment and the imminent arrival of spring and gardening season, I felt it was the right thing to do. Saves me some money that will go towards the rather major investment in the rower.

So, end of the second week. I was 156 when I started, 149.5 last Saturday, 153.5 this past Monday after a weekend rebound and 147.5 this morning. So another 2 lbs gone this week. Down about 5 lbs of real weight in the past 2 weeks. I'm doing only potatoes all day to supper, then small protein and veggie supper. Black coffee and tea between meals, occ home-made potato chips sometimes in the afternoon. My appetite is somewhat suppressed and I crave for nothing.

But I'm tired of potatoes right now and plan to eat clean but varied over the weekend. Unlike last weekend, I don't face birthday dinners or baby showers this weekend, so I hope for less rebound, staying in the 140's. Back to potatoes on Monday, and back to work after a week off.

Today's meals. B-1 egg cooked in butter with 1 slice swiss cheese. Black coffee. L- chili , (declined the bread and brownies), home-made almost-unsweetened applesauce. At a friend's house. p.m. about 1.5 oz cheese, no crackers. Supper was hamburger hash made from ground beef, leftover mashed potatoes, onion, celery, half a carrot, some shredded cabbage, beef stock. Very basic comfort food, but very yummy. I'm full.

Post weekend rebound report - almost none! I am 148.0 this morning, only up 1/2 lb from Saturday morning's low of 147.5. That's down 4.5 lbs from last Monday. So I don't need to spend half of this week getting back to where I was the weekend before. Ii have high hopes.

Yesterday I had 2 eggs and bacon for B, ground meat and potato hash for L, one potato made into home-made chips about 4, and about 5-6 oz steak fried in butter with broccoli and cauliflower for supper. Tea and coffee as usual.

I'm back on potatoes for M-F this week. I made a big pot of Yukon Golds last night (first time for this variety of potatoes), mashed with beef broth for a delicious flavour.

I'm back to work this week and back into a size smaller dress pants. Comfortably. The "fatpants" black dress pants have been put away again - thank goodness. In another 5 lbs or so, I should have lots of wearable choices from my closet. It will be like getting a whole new wardrobe!

Weight is at 145.5 this morning, a weight I haven't seen in over a year. Wowee! This potato diet is ridiculously easy, somewhat boring, but not unbearably so. And, while living alone these 3 weeks, I'm not cooking much, not making dirty dishes, seldom snacking, not buying groceries so saving tons of money. I've been working on the same 10 lbs of potatoes for a week and a half now, plus eating up meat from my freezer. No fruit, almost no dairy, only one goodsized serving of vegetables daily. Easy-peasy!

So, looking ahead, I have overnight guests on Saturday night and am making them supper. No problem to keep that primal. On Sunday, we'll have eggs for breakfast (toast for them), but then we have a potluck lunch at church, which is where the challenge will be. Gotta keep the rebound to a minimum.

Copy of PPD thread post, reposted here for my own records:

End of week 3 report: After 3 weeks of my version of the Primal Potato Diet, I am down a total of 10 lbs. I weighed this morning at 146.0 lbs, though I saw 145.5 lbs yesterday. I dropped 6.5 lbs in the first 5 day week, rebounded 3 lbs over the first weekend, dropped 5 lbs the next workweek (a net loss of 2 lbs), rebounded only 0.5 lbs the second weekend, then lost 2 lbs this past workweek (net loss of 1.5 lbs). I am definitely smaller, wearing smaller clothes and have lost the torso puffiness.

But more importantly, I feel great. I'm seldom hungry and if I am, I can just eat another potato, usually as microwave potato chips (unsalted, nothing-but-potatoes). I have a regular primal supper (protein and vegetables, occasionally with some potatoes or rice) and almost no snacking. I have plenty of energy for my day-to-day life.

And the amount of extra time this WOE has given me is amazing. I only cook one simple meal per day (and right now, while hubby is away on business, I'm not even doing that - I just make up a batch of something and eat the same thing night after night). No grocery shopping or running into the convenience store for stock-up. Minimal kitchen clean-up. And I'm saving a ton of money. I haven't shopped for groceries in 2 weeks. And on the weekend, I can eat the stuff I'm missing during the week, like bacon and eggs for breakfast or BAS with tuna and avocado for lunch. Believe it or not, those are the things I kinda miss, nothing sweet or junky.

I'm planning another full week of this to finish out March. On Thursday, I drive away for the Easter weekend and will likely eat out frequently, but the brother I'm going to visit is also working the potato hack to some degree, so I can hopefully get through the weekend without too much rebound.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is cool! Monday morning and I have NO rebound weight gain from the weekend. A first, I'm sure. And I had company for S on Saturday, and for B on Sunday, plus a potluck lunch at church. I'm pretty proud of myself.

Back on potatoes for week 3 this morning. I hope to get into the area under 145 lbs this week.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast