Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing the lesser evil. page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Not so much experimenting, just noticing.

Wheat gives me gas. Not pain, just a big old morning fart. (tmi) Once a week it's okay. More than that and I turn into Fartwoman (everyone needs a super power).

Much more than one serving of cooked rice (1/4 c dry) in a day does the same thing. However, it doesn't get progressively worse if I have it more than once per week. Same with potatoes - much more than a 10 oz serving.

Too much chocolate gives me heartburn. As does much more than one glass of Crystal Lite.

On the flip side, eating no starchy type things, and eating the majority of my food as beef, eggs, and sardines can sometimes cause me to need to sprint to the bathroom. This one goes away if I eat that way for more than three days.

Anyway, mostly what I've learned is to get variety. I'm guessing if I ate three avocados per day, I'd probably notice something over time. Even with those few reactions above, I consider myself really fortunate to have no really bad reactions to anything. I lived most of my life loving foods like bread and pizza. If I had to go back to those filler foods because of budgetary reasons, the worst that would happen is that Fartwoman would reappear.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Spelt, like emmer, farro, and kamut, contain gluten and are off-limits to those who are gluten intolerant.
    my dad was a celiac/gluten intolerant. i dont know if he was ever officially tested. if he went to southern europe, he could eat the bread there without side effects.

There was a whole thread here a while back on the Free the Animal Fat Bread which is a mix of coconut manna, eggs and macadamia nuts with a bit of baking powder and lemon juice. Awesome stuff.
    there is some major economic priviledge going on just being able to afford the ingredients to make that. hence why i have never risked it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes make myself a muffin using a cooked sweet potato, mashed up with an egg, some almond butter and some flavoring. It usually comes out without sweetness, although the flavoring I choose attempts to make it taste sweet. I have thought about taking my recipe and using savory herbs, such as curry, or perhaps no herbs at all. Maybe see how much mashed sweet potato (or even mashed plain potato??) I can add and have it still come out similar to bread. I've also wondered if instead of microwaving this in a small bowl I did it on a plate, would I end up with a substrate for an open-faced sandwich or pizza? Someday I'm going to try it and see.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    @fifer @eKatherine
    I know it's odd, but the main baker is intolerant to most of the things I am, and he was recommended to try spelt. He has a terrible reaction to common wheat, but spelt does him no harm. So I tried it and it didn't bother me either.
    It basically means the thing I'm intolerant to in common wheat isn't gluten, but another protein or a mutation of an amino-acid or fat.

(Yeah, two folks in a bakery who can't eat the bread. :P)
    Last edited by Kochin; 02-26-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    You should order them from best to worst.

Was this how it came out for your N=1?
    -tuber-based flours are fine
    -spelt wheat causes literally no pain
    -rice flour is tolerable
    -quinoa bread is OK, but not an amazing taste
    -standard wheat and buckwheat are bad
    -anything with soy is reflux-and-mucus-city
    -oats in every form are murder
    -rye is killmurder

Yes?
    Ja, that's right.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Maybe see how much mashed sweet potato (or even mashed plain potato??)
    i have made a chocolate cake in the past with just mashed potatoes as the "flour". it came out very nice and torte-like tho.

It basically means the thing I'm intolerant to in common wheat isn't gluten, but another protein or a mutation of an amino-acid or fat.
    this is what dad sometimes used to reckon. there was a theory they grow different wheat varieties and/or used different pesticides and insecticides.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    the worst that would happen is that Fartwoman would reappear.
    geepers Joanie - I hope you delete these fart foods before our big wrestling match ...............................
    ........I'm not sure that Gwamma would cope so well rolling about in the mud with you if you are gonna be botty burping the whole time !!!!!!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    there was a theory they grow different wheat varieties and/or used different pesticides and insecticides.
    actually Seas it bugs me that when we grew barley we would put Actellic dust into the silos to deal with insect infestations. What did those residual chemicals do once that barley was processed into what ever form ??????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12