Thread: Heart Rate Elevated page

bprows is offline Junior Member

Heart Rate Elevated

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi everyone, I am new and this is the first time I have posted. I started my primal journey last Jan, 2012. I lost 40 lbs by May, and was very exited. However, when people would see me they would ask "are you OK?" I think they thought I had cancer, and to be honest, I was kind of pale all the time. Blood work was awesome, blood pressure was low, and resting heart rate was 41. At my max effort, interval training on Precor Eliptical, my heart rate would get to about 161-6. Fell off the wagon in June when I saw sagging skin on my abdomen (that's my story anyway...it wasn't the Blue Bell Pecan Praline ice cream), gained all the weight back and finished out the year where I started.

So, Jan 13 started again, very easy for me to lose weight. However, this time I have kept my color, my blood pressure is a little elevated (124/65), resting heart rate 55, and now, doing the same level of effort on the Eliptical I top out at 175-80.

Does anybody have any input? Why would I be having healthier weightloss and higher heart rate this time? I feel great, no dizziness, but I'm a 52 year old man that weighs about 238 lbs (loss 22 lbs since Jan 1st) My fasting blood sugar is 85, and like I said my lipids are great. My goal is 190lbs by December.

Thank You,
    Brad
    Last edited by bprows; 02-26-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    You seem to be one of those deceivingly fit heavy guys. I'm your age and back when I was in my thirties I did a little road bike racing. I remember at the start on one race, I was sizing up the competition and there was this guy that probably outweighed me by about 50 pounds. Figured I would use him to lead me for some of the race then dust him off up the first hill. Well that never happened. He kicked my A$$. All that aside your 180 bpm heart rate is probably fine, but I would be very surprised if you could sustain that for more than a few seconds at a time. I did that once going up a 1 mile steep climb and I was done for the day. I would think that as long as it doesn't ruin your workout then go for it, but try to be very conscious of how your really feeling.

Thank You, don't know that I'm that fit, pretty flabby actually, but I do have good genes, It was my wife and the USAF that kept me in the Gym

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    When your body is fighting fatigue, over-trainning, infection or experiencing inflamation your resting heart rate will increase. It could be a signal to take a break...or just a fluke. Just a few thoughts.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Your resting heart rate is still low and I would consider it a sign of very good fitness. Especially for someone that is not in the trained athlete catagory and has a body fat composition above 15% which for a male is typical for a trained athlete to have. Do you know what your max heart rate is? That number is primarily genetically determined per individual and can vary a lot per person. The standard 220-age formula can be way off. Your workout readings could be not so bad if you are someone with a higher max heart rate than typical for your age group. Are the 175-180bpm just your highest recorded readings? If so, use your average HR reading to judge or grade the workout effort. Spikes with HR monitors happen and can be influenced by the electrolytes you're losing with sweat during the workout or the balance you had with them prior to the workout.

Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    Your resting heart rate is still low and I would consider it a sign of very good fitness. Especially for someone that is not in the trained athlete catagory and has a body fat composition above 15% which for a male is typical for a trained athlete to have. Do you know what your max heart rate is? That number is primarily genetically determined per individual and can vary a lot per person. The standard 220-age formula can be way off. Your workout readings could be not so bad if you are someone with a higher max heart rate than typical for your age group. Are the 175-180bpm just your highest recorded readings? If so, use your average HR reading to judge or grade the workout effort. Spikes with HR monitors happen and can be influenced by the electrolytes you're losing with sweat during the workout or the balance you had with them prior to the workout.
    Yes, 180 is about it. I have no dizziness and I feel great, but I am glad when the elliptical program takes me into the non sprinting phase. It's just that I'm conditioned to think the high number is bad. On a side note, I think I discovered what I was doing wrong last year. This year I started supplementing with Potassium and Magnesium and my color has never been better. Thanks for your response