Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What tastes different since you were a child? page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

What tastes different since you were a child?

Primal Fuel
    I'm not sure if this will end up being a thread for dinosaurs, but I was wondering if the taste of any foods that you ate as a child has changed.

For me it's store bought tomatoes. As a kid, I ate them whole like one would eat an apple. As I got older, I thought I was just losing my taste for eating them that way. I had the privilege of eating a tomato from a woman who gardens, and all that childhood yumminess was right there. She explained that store bought tomatoes have been bred to not bruise during shipping, so there is more meat and less juice.

Paleobird mentioned in another thread that when her father tasted her grass fed beef, he said it tasted like beef from when he was young.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, has shopping for better sourced food given you back something you thought you no longer liked.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I can always tell when carrots are in season. It's in the sweet clear taste and how easily that outer ring breaks away for the core.
    I love raw tomatoes, but only in season. Out of season, they're sad little crayon approximations that want ot grow up to be a real tomato.
    For a long time, I thought I'd lost my taste for chicken. Then I realized that real chicken, that hasn't been cooked to death and has seen the outside world, tastes AWESOME.
    Last edited by naiadknight; 02-26-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Paleobird Guest
    Finding a good source of raw dairy products has brought back the yumminess we used to have when the milk was delivered in glass bottles way back when I was a kid (shortly after they invented dirt).

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Ha, just about every veggie I can think of tastes different (and delicious!) to me now than when I was a kid. I never appreciated veggies as a child, probably because there were so many other foods available to me that, at the time, I though tasted better. Add to that the fact that I was almost always served veggies that had been boiled to death and it's easy for me to see why I didn't care much for the flavors. Now though, I live for my daily salads chock full of about a dozen different veggies Yum!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I used to hate avocados, and now they're one of my favorite foods. I also used to swear that chocolate was disgusting, but now I know that if I make my own chocolate snacks or eat good-quality dark chocolate, it's actually really yummy. I also used to think coffee tasted disgusting when I was younger, and now I drink it black. Raw fish always grossed me out until I was in my teens.

Some things, though, never change: I still hate hate hate tomatoes (in every form except ketchup or tomato soup), raw onions (it took me years to eat them cooked; they must NOT be crunchy at all), olives, anything pickled, cottage cheese, squid, octopus, steamers, cooked mushrooms (I love them raw!), and skin/fat/marrow of any animal (it makes me feel nauseous to even SEE someone eating pig, chicken, etc. skin).
    Last edited by MissJecka; 02-26-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    This isn't primal, but I used to love Stoffers Macaroni and Cheese. I served it once a few years ago, thinking I would still like it...was mortified. Funny what twenty years does to taste buds. I still can't eat raw tomatoes or any olives, however, I really enjoy brussel sprouts and mushrooms...couldn't choke them down as a child.
    Last edited by JennGlob; 02-26-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'm not sure if this will end up being a thread for dinosaurs, but I was wondering if the taste of any foods that you ate as a child has changed.

For me it's store bought tomatoes. As a kid, I ate them whole like one would eat an apple. As I got older, I thought I was just losing my taste for eating them that way. I had the privilege of eating a tomato from a woman who gardens, and all that childhood yumminess was right there. She explained that store bought tomatoes have been bred to not bruise during shipping, so there is more meat and less juice.
    Also, tomatoes go red as a response to carbon dioxide. But ripe tomatoes have a much shorter shelf life and are softer, and don't look as good on the plate in a restaurant. The solution: expose green tomatoes to extra carbon dioxide, which turns them red prematurely. So you've really been eating green tomatoes all this time

Not really on topic, but I LOVE courgettes now, and it wasn't really available as a vegetable when I was a child, but judging from my childrens reactions, I wouldn't have enjoyed it then...
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    When I was a kid, the only tomatoes available in the supermarket most of the year were "hot-house" tomatoes that came in a plastic tray of 4. They were grayish green with a blush of pink on them. Supermarket tomatoes nowadays are an amazing delicacy compared with those.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I can't eat sugar cubes straight out of the packet anymore, or drink tea that has had so much sugar added that it's stopped being disolved and settled into an inch thick layer at the bottom of the mug.

Used to hate dark chocolate, liver, coffee (smell and taste), whisky and bourbon (but that could be a result of a BIG night on Jack Daniels when I was 16 ), avocado (a texture thing as much as anything). Now I love them all, except the boose which I can take or leave, but the smell of it no longer makes my dry heave
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Little Women is offline Member
    Tomatoes are tolerable if you can get the ones that still have stems on them. They keep ripening, so they aren't pink and plastic-y.

Milk tastes WAY different if it has bght or is ultra-pasteurized. (Even bacteria won't eat ultra-pasteurized milk, it seems!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast