Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What tastes different since you were a child? page 3

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Chocolate chips. Nestle. They tasted so good as a kid. Now I get the Giardellis, with 63% chocolate and snack on those. I got a bag of Nestle for the kids to make cookies, and I had one and couldn't believe how bad they tasted. As a kid I remember getting Special Dark candy bars when camping and they were great. Now, they don't taste good to me at all.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    as a kid I don't ever remember walnuts giving an aftertaste ????? but they seem to now. Not sure why who how ?????
    The brown skin on walnut halves or pieces is full of tannins, a bitter compound. Supposedly it also contains phytates, an anti-nutrient. The way to remove the bitterness is to bring a pot of water to a boil, add the walnuts, bring them back to a boil, then let them sit for 5 minutes. Drain and throw away the nasty brown water, then dry them in a dehydrator or in a single layer on a cookie sheet in a dry place.

Buy whole walnut halves or pieces. The chopped ones are usually rancid. When I worked in a bakery, my boss hated walnuts because they were "bitter". She was convinced her customers hated them, too. She always bought the nasty rancid kind that came already chopped. Gee, maybe there was a connection there?

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    Chocolate chips. Nestle. They tasted so good as a kid. Now I get the Giardellis, with 63% chocolate and snack on those. I got a bag of Nestle for the kids to make cookies, and I had one and couldn't believe how bad they tasted. As a kid I remember getting Special Dark candy bars when camping and they were great. Now, they don't taste good to me at all.
    A lot of chocolatiers (and I use that word loosely) have changed their recipe. I used to love Hershey's Milk Chocolate (even after going Primal - an occasional treat when I visited my friends in PA), but it just tastes like crap these days... two things that stand out to me as making a difference in taste: PGPR and HFCS... anything with PGPR is ruined to my palate, and HFCS just tastes different than sugar to me.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The brown skin on walnut halves or pieces is full of tannins, a bitter compound. Supposedly it also contains phytates, an anti-nutrient. The way to remove the bitterness is to bring a pot of water to a boil, add the walnuts, bring them back to a boil, then let them sit for 5 minutes. Drain and throw away the nasty brown water, then dry them in a dehydrator or in a single layer on a cookie sheet in a dry place.

Buy whole walnut halves or pieces. The chopped ones are usually rancid. When I worked in a bakery, my boss hated walnuts because they were "bitter". She was convinced her customers hated them, too. She always bought the nasty rancid kind that came already chopped. Gee, maybe there was a connection there?
    Thanx eKatherine, I shall remember that in future
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    I grew up surrounded by a family of canners/preservers/picklers. My Grandma always went to Deterings Orchards in Harrisburg OR to buy big boxes of windfall peaches...which are of course peaches so ripe and lovely, they've dropped off the tree. She just cut out the bruised bits. So of course I always thought peaches were amzing...til I moved out on my own and spent way too much money on some very seductive appearing peaches at the store...and I was sooooo disappointed!

Same with tomatoes. The Grandparents always had a big garden of basics, lots of tomatoes included because Grandma canned those. So in tomato season, dessert many times was to head out to the garden with a salt shaker and eat fresh ripe real tomatoes.

Candy bars stopped tasting as they should around the late 80's. Must've been when all the recipes changed.

Danni is offline Junior Member
    When I was a kid, milk changed taste depending on the season. I remember it having a faint oniony taste when all the wild onions were shooting up.

ZenGopher is offline Junior Member
    For me the big one is milk. As a kid I remember it tasting like, well, milk and much like Danni's experience the taste changed with the seasons and the different forage they were eating. I stopped drinking milk as a teen and didn't give it much thought, just figured I was growing out of it or something. Then in the last couple of years I've been able to get my hands on organic non-homogenized cream line milk and wow, what a rush back into childhood. THIS is what milk is supposed to taste like and dang is it good. Regular supermarket milk is disgusting by comparison and it's no wonder I stopped drinking it 30 years ago. It was flavorless. Also, candy in general doesn't hold appeal for me as an adult. I don't know if it's because it actually tastes different or because it's just gotten too sweet for me as I've gotten older.

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Unforetunately, when I was a teen, I drank tons (6 - 10oz bottles a day) of Mt. Dew. I gave up all sodas about 4-5 years ago. But when I saw an ad for Mt. Dew Throwback a year or so ago, I tried one.
    OMG! Like drinking syrup! But it had the taste that I remembered before they replaced the sugar with HFCS.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123