Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What tastes different since you were a child? page 2

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    as a kid I don't ever remember walnuts giving an aftertaste ????? but they seem to now. Not sure why who how ?????
    and I am so with you on the home grown vege thing. Best tasting veges around. It might be thou - because they are grown with LOVE ?????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I ate nothing but junk growing up ;_;...
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    as a kid I don't ever remember walnuts giving an aftertaste ????? but they seem to now. Not sure why who how ?????
    and I am so with you on the home grown vege thing. Best tasting veges around. It might be thou - because they are grown with LOVE ?????
    Gwamma, Love is a most important ingredient! My grandmother taught me to make lasagna, so ingredient wise, they were pretty much identical, but when she took the time to make it just as an excuse to invite me over for supper, hers was so much better! The other thing she did was to make stuffed artichokes. I've done it, but it's so much freakin' work to carefully spoon the filling into each leaf that if I never do it again, it'll be too soon. But Gran'ma? She'd not only make it, she'd stuff a couple of extra so she could give them to me to take home. Love + Food = a grandmother who will always be missed.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    In terma of Gramma food, I miss the strangest stuff. I miss hockey pucks in gravy (hamburger patties in mushroom gravy over rice.) I'd not like it now, but I miss it. I miss candied yams with Lucky Charms marshmallows on top. I miss cinnamon toast and cheese toast. Most of all, I miss the memories and them.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

AyaPapaya is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    In terma of Gramma food, I miss the strangest stuff. I miss hockey pucks in gravy (hamburger patties in mushroom gravy over rice.) I'd not like it now, but I miss it. I miss candied yams with Lucky Charms marshmallows on top. I miss cinnamon toast and cheese toast. Most of all, I miss the memories and them.
    The memories are always so much better than the real thing. I have awesome childhood memories revolving around 'junkfood time' with my Dad.
    I remember a couple years ago I bought an orange soda, hadn't had one since I was a kid, because I got warm fuzzies from happy childhood memories when I looked at it. I couldn't even take a second sip. I remember it being amazing. It's not.
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AyaPapaya View Post
    The memories are always so much better than the real thing. I have awesome childhood memories revolving around 'junkfood time' with my Dad.
    Yep, same here. My dad and I had lots of food traditions when I was a kid, mostly revolving around junk. Our favorite was to each have two Devil Dogs with a big glass of skim milk. I had a Devil Dog a few months ago and... dear god, they are DRY! It's like eating a mouth full of chocolate chalk with a white goop that makes every crumb stick to all of the surfaces of your mouth.

Also, my mom and I had a tradition of any time my dad would be home late, we would get Taco Bell for dinner instead of cooking. I'd get a beef soft taco, a gordita or a chalupa, and a choco-taco. I gave up that stuff while in college, until a Taco Bell opened up on our student center. I got two beef tacos, ate them both, and promptly threw up within 10 minutes. Definitely not the same... but the memories of eating that junk with my mom make it look so nice!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

When I was a kid, Dad and I had a ritual: if I went with him on errands on Saturdays, we would eat at my favorite breakfast joint to ever exist- Norma's Cafe. (Fellow Oak Cliff or Dallas folks know the love for Norma's.) I went back there once while visiting my folks a year or so ago. The cinnamon rolls are just as decadent as they always were, but so much else of the food just tasted wrong. Yes, Geek was there, but Dad wasn't.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Used to love Norma's for lunch. Haven't been since mid-90s. I love all those Oak Cliff places, Tejanos, the original Gloria's, Bishops Grill on smothered steak day.... I don't work in the hood anymore, so never get back to those places.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

I loved Calle Dolce and The Spaghetti Warehouse before they went chain. I loved Vitto's before they went belly up. I still love El Ranchito, Kuby's, the Fish Shack and most of the Dallas institutions, especially the ones in my old stomping grounds.
    My Primal Battle Tome

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Forgot Calle Dolce it was great. Don't know Vittos. I was a probation officer in those days, so it was fun to go to lunch with the judges and live the high life...well for a 22 year old. I got over saving the world, but I miss the people and lunches.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast