Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra Virgin CO vs MCT Oil? page

dogfuel is offline Member

Extra Virgin CO vs MCT Oil?

Shop Now
    (1 think) I notice a difference in energy and fat loss between use of CO and MCT Oil in my coffee, The MCT seems much more effective, just not as tasty.

My assumption was that MCT oil was just more refined and had a greater concentration of the optimal chain sizes(and so less 'other' fat for those who care about that). This assumption implies that I would get the benefits of the MCT oil by enjoying CO (just more CO than MCT for the same kick).

Trying 2x 2 weeks of each this assumption does not seem to be valid. Am I imagining things?

Thanks

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    To maximize fat loss, put no oil in your coffee.

Virgin coconut oil is ~60% MCT's. MCT oil is 100% because it is highly refined. Oil is a cooking tool, not a food. Eat food for energy and nutrition, not oil.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Oil is a cooking tool, not a food.
    and that about sums it up!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfuel View Post
    (1 think) I notice a difference in energy and fat loss between use of CO and MCT Oil in my coffee, The MCT seems much more effective, just not as tasty.

My assumption was that MCT oil was just more refined and had a greater concentration of the optimal chain sizes(and so less 'other' fat for those who care about that). This assumption implies that I would get the benefits of the MCT oil by enjoying CO (just more CO than MCT for the same kick).

Trying 2x 2 weeks of each this assumption does not seem to be valid. Am I imagining things?

Thanks
    I have been wondering about this same question and would be interested to hear the results of your n=1 study.

Question : are MCT and CO similar in calories for an equivalent measure (say one tbsp)?

And, if those are your abs in your avatar pic, I think you can safely ignore anything Choco is saying.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Oil is a cooking tool, not a food. Eat food for energy and nutrition, not oil.
    I agree but I do enjoy a tblsp of Nutiva coconut oil once in a while, sometimes straight-up, sometimes in Greek yogurt and sometimes with my cacao nibs and half & half.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I have been wondering about this same question and would be interested to hear the results of your n=1 study.

Question : are MCT and CO similar in calories for an equivalent measure (say one tbsp)?
    Google says coconut oil is 116 calories per tablespoon and MCT oil is 100. I would have though they would be equivalent since they are both pure fat. Then again, I guess the point of MCT oil is that it has a different effect on metabolism. Reminds me of the posts Kurt Harris did, "No such thing as a macronutrient"

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I keep seeing that 100 cal for MCT oil also, but then it says 14 grams of fat. That would be 126 calories. Sometimes I think when I search calories, that if one site publishes an amount, then most of the other sites publish that same amount without checking to even see if it's logical.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I was doing the oil shots there for a wee moment and noticed that I couldn't sleep at night after taking MCT oil first thing in the morning. It gave me tooooooo much energy. However when I tried the coconut oil, it didn't give me as much energy and I was able to sleep at night. I tried both oils for one week
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

dogfuel is offline Member
    I appreciate the responses but maybe wasn't clear about the reason for my question.... mct oil has a dramatic impact on energy level and fat burning (for me)... CO does not. I thought they were the same thing. I hate that it flies in the face of many of the themes on this forum and I did not want to accept it fir a year, but it is true. Why?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfuel View Post
    I appreciate the responses but maybe wasn't clear about the reason for my question.... mct oil has a dramatic impact on energy level and fat burning (for me)... CO does not. I thought they were the same thing. I hate that it flies in the face of many of the themes on this forum and I did not want to accept it fir a year, but it is true. Why?
    They're not the same thing. MCT is a highly refined oil where the MCT's are extracted from coconut oil. You won't find MCT oil anywhere in nature - it is a creation in a laboratory. Coconut oil is just pure pressed coconut fat. It has MCT's, but it's the natural lipid profile of a coconut. Coconut oil isn't the only thing that has MCT's - palm oil and butter has them as well.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast