Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Extra Virgin CO vs MCT Oil? page 2

  1. #11
    NZ primal Gwamma's Avatar
    NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    4,305
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    They're not the same thing. MCT is a highly refined oil where the MCT's are extracted from coconut oil. You won't find MCT oil anywhere in nature - it is a creation in a laboratory. Coconut oil is just pure pressed coconut fat. It has MCT's, but it's the natural lipid profile of a coconut. Coconut oil isn't the only thing that has MCT's - palm oil and butter has them as well.
    you see Dogfuel - if you had read between the lines of my post you would have understood that I was saying exactly what Chocotaco said. Choco used english and I was actually talking caveman !!!!!!! sheeeeesh LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Last edited by NZ primal Gwamma; 02-26-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

    ...small steps....

  2. #12
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,310
    Additional info:
    Fats, Oils, Fatty Acids, Triglycerides - Chemical Structure (Page 2 of 3)

    See the table of fatty acid composition of various oils. Medium chain triglycerides are those with 6-12 carbons. In that table, the MCTs capric (C10:0) and lauric(C12:0) acid are shown. I think there are other various fatty acids that are not included on the table.

    For comparison, MCT oil is 100% MCTs. This one claims to be composed of caprylic and capric acids: MCT Oil - 16 oz. - Protocol For Life Balance

  3. #13
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,606
    ^^^That's kind of a turnoff to me. Coconut oil's MCT's are primarily in the form of lauric acid, which as far as I remember is pretty much exclusive to tropical oils with very few exceptions. Lauric acid is known to have a potent antiviral effect, but apparently also makes people quite nauseous, which is why you hear people feeling ill after consuming straight coconut oil. Some claim candida dieoff due to the antiviral effects.

    IMO, it is almost never a good idea to eat straight fat. Why consume MCT oil for energy and fat loss when you can have an egg for less calories and two orders of magnitude more nutrition? The best thing for you to eat for fat burning is nothing.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  4. #14
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    ^^^That's kind of a turnoff to me. Coconut oil's MCT's are primarily in the form of lauric acid, which as far as I remember is pretty much exclusive to tropical oils with very few exceptions. Lauric acid is known to have a potent antiviral effect, but apparently also makes people quite nauseous, which is why you hear people feeling ill after consuming straight coconut oil. Some claim candida dieoff due to the antiviral effects.

    IMO, it is almost never a good idea to eat straight fat. Why consume MCT oil for energy and fat loss when you can have an egg for less calories and two orders of magnitude more nutrition? The best thing for you to eat for fat burning is nothing.
    Because of the way a shot of straight MCT oil is metabolized compared to an egg. Plenty of studies showing MCT's having thermogenic and fat loss effects.

    I dont think its a great idea to eat atraight fat either but as a fat loss supplement, its worlds better for your health then an EC stack or similar.

  5. #15
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Because of the way a shot of straight MCT oil is metabolized compared to an egg. Plenty of studies showing MCT's having thermogenic and fat loss effects.

    I dont think its a great idea to eat atraight fat either but as a fat loss supplement, its worlds better for your health then an EC stack or similar.
    MCT's increase the metabolic rate, what, about 3%? How is ingesting 100 calories for a 3% metabolic increase better than not eating empty, nutritionless calories? They may have an advantage versus olive oil as it's straight fat that's stored if not immediately burn, but so what? A potato would have more of a metabolic boost. So would meat and eggs due to protein content. Why not just eat real food and when not hungry simply don't eat?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  6. #16
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    MCT's increase the metabolic rate, what, about 3%? How is ingesting 100 calories for a 3% metabolic increase better than not eating empty, nutritionless calories? They may have an advantage versus olive oil as it's straight fat that's stored if not immediately burn, but so what? A potato would have more of a metabolic boost. So would meat and eggs due to protein content. Why not just eat real food and when not hungry simply don't eat?
    It also has an appetite suppressing effect. I agree that food would be better but if one was actively trying to lose fat rapidly the. It would be a good choice over other supplements.

  7. #17
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    It also has an appetite suppressing effect. I agree that food would be better but if one was actively trying to lose fat rapidly the. It would be a good choice over other supplements.
    Raw honey is more nutritious than MCT oil (or coconut oil for that matter), increases the metabolic rate more than MCT's and also has an appetite suppressing effect. Why not eat honey instead? It's also cheaper, tastes better, isn't processed (unlike MCT oil) and is more readily available.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  8. #18
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Raw honey is more nutritious than MCT oil (or coconut oil for that matter), increases the metabolic rate more than MCT's and also has an appetite suppressing effect. Why not eat honey instead? It's also cheaper, tastes better, isn't processed (unlike MCT oil) and is more readily available.
    Argumentative much? MCT and coconut oil is proven to raise metabolism and help with fat loss. its proven to suppress appetite. It also is a healthy saturated fat that helps displace PUFA and supports thyroid. I see no reason to avoid it if fat loss is your goal.

  9. #19
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfuel View Post
    I appreciate the responses but maybe wasn't clear about the reason for my question.... mct oil has a dramatic impact on energy level and fat burning (for me)... CO does not. I thought they were the same thing. I hate that it flies in the face of many of the themes on this forum and I did not want to accept it fir a year, but it is true. Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    They're not the same thing. MCT is a highly refined oil where the MCT's are extracted from coconut oil. You won't find MCT oil anywhere in nature - it is a creation in a laboratory.
    I think we can get all hung up on the fact that Grok wouldn't have had MCT oil or we can do what the OP is doing and go with what works.

  10. #20
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Argumentative much? MCT and coconut oil is proven to raise metabolism and help with fat loss. its proven to suppress appetite. It also is a healthy saturated fat that helps displace PUFA and supports thyroid. I see no reason to avoid it if fat loss is your goal.
    Not eating has been proven to help with fat loss more than refined oils. I'll argue that refined oils are the best thing to halt fat loss since you immediately switch off your fat metabolism from burning stored fat to dietary fat, and since fats are the least thermogenic of all the macronurients, they do the least to boost your metabolism. You're better off eating white sugar from a metabolic stance per calorie.

    Coffee has been proven to suppress appetite. Why not skip food and drink coffee? Honey is a healthy sugar that better supports thyroid than coconut oil because it is high in fructose and fructose upregulates CO2 production where fat suppresses it, and since sugars are stored as saturated and omega-9 monounsaturated fats in tissues, it also displaces PUFA.

    The point is, you'd do better saving those calories for real food, or skipping them altogether than eating isolated, nutritionless, refined oils. Diet hacks are crap. Formulate a solid plan. It doesn't matter what you say - I'm going to argue the opposite because hacks just don't work. If you think MCT oil works but honey doesn't, that makes no sense because it's more advantageous. If you want to accelerate fat burning in the AM, drink black coffee and move around more and fast through breakfast on some days. If you want to accelerate fat burning at night, eat an earlier dinner so you are deeper into a fasted state upon rest. HGH levels are highest at night and accelerate fat burning, so going to bed hungry is a way to accelerate that.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-27-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •