Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo Fantasies page

BrianBrookshire is offline Junior Member

Paleo Fantasies

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed Mark and others in the primal/paleo community taking a lot of what I think is unfair criticism over the years for things they either didn't say or misinterpretations of what they actually said.

There's a new book coming out called "Paleofantasy" for instance that claims to debunk the paleo diet, though the marketing for it shows complete ignorance of what claims are actually made by the mainstream paleo community (we're addicted to potato chips because they crunch like the bugs our ancestors ate?!). Of course, we will have to wait for the actual release to pass proper judgment on the book.

Nonetheless, inanities do persist in the primal/paleo community. There are a few things that I would call bonafide "Paleo Fantasies" (see link below).

7 Paleo Fantasies

I'm curious, what things do you hear commonly said by primal/paleos that are either misinterpretations of primal/paleo, ridiculous, or just plain wrong?
    Last edited by BrianBrookshire; 02-26-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Interesting topic Brian! As in most religious cults there are some absurdities going on, also within the paleo/primal community, and nobody can be right about everything, not even Mark Sisson or Gary Taubes! One of the worst dietary tendencies I observe is the over indulgences on processed fats and oils, people putting loads of butter into their coffee to get a health benefit from lower insulin impact etc., is almost funny by its naivety...

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    It isn't just the diet. It's the lifestyle. I heard one guy (won't mention names) talking about experimenting with not using soap. That's just plain old retardedly disgusting!!!

Another one was cold baths instead of hot ones. Again, stupid!!! Am I supposed to throw away my iPhone, my car, ditch supermarkets, and go out in the woods with a spear looking for food because that's what my ansestors did?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    It isn't just the diet. It's the lifestyle. I heard one guy (won't mention names) talking about experimenting with not using soap. That's just plain old retardedly disgusting!!!

Another one was cold baths instead of hot ones. Again, stupid!!! Am I supposed to throw away my iPhone, my car, ditch supermarkets, and go out in the woods with a spear looking for food because that's what my ansestors did?
    I have no issues with people not wanting to use soap, there's plenty of shit in water to clean you unless you have other stuff on your body (oil, etc from manual labor) that one and the lack of shampoo has never seemed "crazy" to me. If you don't smell horribly, carry on.

Cold baths have their purpose too. I wouldn't make them a staple, but a cold rinse feels awesome. Hot showers are not my thing.

As far as the article in question, I only read the titles of the 7 fantasies, but I basically agree with all.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    And there I was hoping this would be a thread about 'I fantasise that I live somewhere where warm sunshine wakes me in the morning; I fantasise about getting free bacon' sort of stuff.

BrianBrookshire is offline Junior Member
    One of the worst dietary tendencies I observe is the over indulgences on processed fats and oils, people putting loads of butter into their coffee to get a health benefit from lower insulin impact etc., is almost funny by its naivety...
    Butter in the coffee... hadn't heard that one yet. Though I must admit a little coconut oil in the coffee sounds good.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    One thing that bothers me the most in terms of getting the word out about Paleo, is the tendency for it to be presented as a gimmick, somewhat aided by concepts such as those 7 paleo fantasies. Or if not a gimmick, then some sort of wacky cult.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianBrookshire View Post
    Butter in the coffee... hadn't heard that one yet. Though I must admit a little coconut oil in the coffee sounds good.
    Called bulletproof coffee. Some folks use it to boost fat when they struggle to get enough, appetite suppression and to help curb cravings. I haven't personally tried it. It's a miracle for some folks, though.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    One thing that bothers me the most in terms of getting the word out about Paleo, is the tendency for it to be presented as a gimmick, somewhat aided by concepts such as those 7 paleo fantasies. Or if not a gimmick, then some sort of wacky cult.
    One reason why I don't put a lable on the way I eat...generally I don't follow it precisely and I don't want people to judge the way of eating by what I eat.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I try not to either...

Usually it comes out when I'm questioned about why I refuse bread etc. Am I gluten intolerant? Well, not exactly...though I do get bloated. Am I going no-carb? Nope... so why the hell...? Well, it's this thing...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast