Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Fantasies page 5

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Bulletproof coffee or not, personally I couldn’t care less of what people are putting in their coffee, but the theory behind it is blatant pseudoscience though, that because fat doesn’t raise insulin you will have some kind of protection from becoming fat, or that ingested fat will even help burning bodyfat, which is nonsense!

Another “die-hard” myth in the paleo community is the irrational belief in becoming a “fat burning beast” – or that "you must eat fat to burn fat” – and that you will become “fat-adapted” after a while on a low carbohydrate diet. The truth is that humans are perfectly adapted for millions of years in burning fat as a fuel and that you don’t get adapted to burning fat, but rather adapted to a higher level of making glucose from amino-acids or neoglucogenesis. Well, there may be other adaptions in play as well, as use of ketone bodies, psychological adaptions etc., but whatever it is; it is NOT an adaption to burning fat, because even the most insulin resistant person is doing that all the time, what should otherwise be the point of taking bulletproof coffee?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, my paleo fantasy wold be having the ear of well studied butcher and all the variety of animals readily available. Oh, and include easy access to the odd bits like pig head, chicken feet, ox tail, and so on and so forth..

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    ...what should otherwise be the point of taking bulletproof coffee?
    I thought the point of taking bulletproof coffee was that there are fewer calories in it than the meal you substitute it for, yet it keeps you full at least as long. Not a bunch of theoretical stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I thought the point of taking bulletproof coffee was that there are fewer calories in it than the meal you substitute it for, yet it keeps you full at least as long. Not a bunch of theoretical stuff.
    And the funny thing is that some people don't even substitute a meal for it - but drink it along with their usual bacon breakfast, because they believes it help to control their insulin! And some of the recommendations tell you to use a stick of butter and two tablespoons of MCT oil, and it almost makes miracles, because it keep you full until lunch, LOL...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Actually its that (so a crutch for intermittent fasting) and its the combined effect and nutrition gained by ingesting coconut oil, butter, and coffee. Yes fatty acids are nutritious! MCT's (energy), Lauric acid (antimicrobial), CLA has been associated with increased heart health, reduction in tumor growth, decreased belly fat, and more fat loss in overweight individuals, Vitamins A and K, Butyric acid (improves insulin sensitivity), coffee (is awesome!)....actually magnesium, caffeine, increased metabolism and fat burning. Thats just my quick and dirty list. I'm sure Asprey has a full list somewhere of its benefits. I don't even drink it but once every couple weeks, but its not all that crazy. Dunno if I'd promote it for weight loss, but as an energy drink it's pretty darn hard to beat

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Dunno if I'd promote it for weight loss, but as an energy drink it's pretty darn hard to beat
    No doubt about that, I will consider to use it myself if I am going to do cross country skiing to the south pole...

Timthetaco Guest
    Good find on that video, Gorbag.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    And the funny thing is that some people don't even substitute a meal for it - but drink it along with their usual bacon breakfast, because they believes it help to control their insulin! And some of the recommendations tell you to use a stick of butter and two tablespoons of MCT oil, and it almost makes miracles, because it keep you full until lunch, LOL...
    Doing that is not a way to lose weight. That would be the same idea as eating 2 breakfasts and 1 lunch for breakfast. Not in terms of calories, nutrients, etc, but the bulletproof coffee is intended to replace breakfast and often lunch as well. MCT oil does promote ketosis, which is why it is used medicinally for diseases that benefit from running the brain on ketones. Coffee (caffiene anyways) releases stored body fat to be burned for energy. This is why caffiene gives you an energy boost. Butter, as other people have said, contains a variety of healthy substances and nutrients. There may not be peer reviewed studies behind it (what university is going to fund a study of buttered coffee for weight loss?) but the mechanisms do make basic sense. Even under the old CW calories in calories out model, having only a few hundred calories for breakfast and nothing else until dinner (assuming a normal sized dinner) would result in weight loss. Eating a piece of fruit for breakfast would leave you hungry again in an hour. Fat (bulletproof coffee in this case) keeps you full much longer, even at the same level of calories. It becomes very possible to forget to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    Even under the old CW calories in calories out model, having only a few hundred calories for breakfast and nothing else until dinner (assuming a normal sized dinner) would result in weight loss. Eating a piece of fruit for breakfast would leave you hungry again in an hour. Fat (bulletproof coffee in this case) keeps you full much longer, even at the same level of calories. It becomes very possible to forget to eat.
    Personally I can forget to eat until 6 PM on black coffee, tea and dietCoke, but I don't disagree if you goes very light on the butter, but some people recommends one stick and one or two additional spoons of MCT oil, and you can get a very solid breakfast for the same amount of calories...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Personally I can forget to eat until 6 PM on black coffee, tea and dietCoke, but I don't disagree if you goes very light on the butter, but some people recommends one stick and one or two additional spoons of MCT oil, and you can get a very solid breakfast for the same amount of calories...
    Because you saw one person doing it that way nobody should even try it the way it is almost always done, but we should drink diet coke instead?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast