Thread: My Eureka! Moment page

Archimedes is offline Junior Member

My Eureka! Moment

Shop Now
    I've been overweight all my life. My adolescent growth spurt brought my weight more in balance with my height but I still felt overweight. The necessities of hoofing it all over campus during my college years kept my weight pretty stable after I'd put on the obligatory "freshman 15". In the intervening two decades since then, my weight has slowly crept up and up, and even through different diets I tried (SlimFast, Weight Watchers, Quick Weight Loss, etc) I could never keep the diet up, because the psychological "deprivation" syndrome kicked in (not to mention the fairly boring foods) the diets never lasted for more than about two months, and while the pounds came off during the diets, it turned out they were only vacationing out in Vegas. When they were through partying, they came back and always seemed to bring along friends.

Diets didn't work. The foods were bland and flavorless, and they were too rigid, and had too much deprivation. Exercise never really worked - negative body image kept me out of the gym, breathing difficulties during heavy exertion made it difficult to keep any chronic cardio program going, and quite frankly treadmills and their ilk bring visions of drudgery - no mental stimulation whatever, and hours of trudging going nowhere for no other purpose than "to exercise". It seemed very unnatural.

However the weight has gotten to a point where I can't ignore it really any longer as for the past couple years I've had borderline high blood pressure (135/85, purposely not medicated).

After seeing a friend post a before after picture on Facebook of her fairly stunning weight loss (50 lbs in two years, supposedly with no exercise, no hunger, and no sense of deprivation), I had to investigate, and she led me to the Primal Blueprint.

The Primal Blueprint was really my Eureka! moment. It finally all made sense. It explained my (and America's) ever-expanding waist line, all my post-meal nap attacks, the chronic sinusitis I've suffered with all my life, the high blood pressure... It's because I've been eating crap that my body wasn't designed to live on. So much weight is given to evolution and the slow pace it moves at, and nobody, till now had bothered to sit down and think about what humans evolved eating? It seems so bloody simple, and so bloody simply perfect, I have to give it a try.

I know it's not going to be an easy transition. I *love* hot bread, especially dripping in butter. I *love* soda. I'm probably an addict. I'm expecting withdrawal and the no-carb DTs, but the recipes in the Quick & Easy Meals cookbook look tasty enough that hopefully I can force my way through.

So, as my birthday present to myself, I'm going Primal. 41 years later than I should have, perhaps. But better late than never. I've still got some miles left to go in this body. It's time I made those some quality miles.

Your location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Age (If you want): 41

Height/ Weight: 5'11", 246 lbs, 34.6% body fat.

Goal weight: 200 lbs. (My rough math says 175-180 is what I should be, but 200 seems both easier to achieve and allows for additional muscle mass to be added during the new lifestyle. If I do better, bonus!)

How Primal are you: Not, yet.

Do you consume dairy: I love dairy. Though recently I have switched myself over to organic, pasture raised milk, instead of just the usual supermarket brand.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No. Can't stand the flavor.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weight loss, health improvement, bring blood pressure back to normal, see if maybe this might even help my chronically swollen sinuses.

Favorite exercise: Don't really have one. I'm fairly sendentary, sadly.

Favorite Primal food: I'm a HUGE fan of seafood - especially shrimp, scallops, and crab, though due to price they're a bit of a "treat" food.

Best part about being Primal: Don't know, yet.

Worst part about being Primal: Don't know yet.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Weight loss diets are actually a major cause of long-term weight gain. The deprivation is not all psychological. A lot of diets make no nutritional sense and leave the dieter deficient in all sorts of stuff. So don't blame yourself for lack of willpower. Losing weight through willpower alone is not a successful longterm weight control strategy.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Happy Birthday. This way of eating was a eureka moment for me also. I jumped in straight away eight months ago. I have both lost weight and brought my blood pressure down and I have never been bored with the food. My sister also has lowered her BP. This works.