Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this morning for breakfast.. page

janie is offline Senior Member

this morning for breakfast..

I prepared a dish I haven't had since childhood.

Two pans: In 1st saute chopped up bacon. In 2nd poach fish (either whole, cleaned or fillets) in lightly salted water.
    When fish is done, remove to a platter and pour the bacon & grease over the top.

So delicious! Most people are horrified by the fat but I knew you guys wouldn't be. Hadn't thought of this in years. Apparently my childhood (on an island) was fairly primal.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    My childhood breakfast choices were chocolate pop-tarts or frozen waffles. Then again, nobody ever told me life was fair.

While I dislike getting older, I count myself lucky to have been born into a pre-Poptart world. Good thing you discovered real food on your own!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    That sounds so delicious!

My breakfasts as a child were:

Chocolate milk with an egg blended in it because I hated eggs, and my mom thought I should eat some.
    Scrambled eggs when I grew out of hating eggs and grew to love them. Weekends would be bacon and fried eggs (sometimes SPAM).
    Instant Breakfast when I stopped liking food in the morning and my mom refused to let me go to school on an empty stomach.

But no fish and bacon. I feel deprived.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    As a child, my breakfasts were vegan. Yeah...
    At least I survived.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You can fry the fish in the baconfat, too.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Fish and bacon? THAT might be a way to get me to eat fish....

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You can fry the fish in the baconfat, too.
    You know, my husband suggested that next time we take the poached fish off the bone and add it to the pan of chopped bacon & fat. Also a bit of the poaching liquid mixing with the fat makes a nice sauce.

I'm so sorry that some of you were fed Pop-tarts and those nasty frozen waffles!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    We had cereal during the week, but my mother used to fix breakfast on the weekends. She made unbelievable cinnamon toast, eggs scrambled with bacon, cheddar cheese, and crumbled rosemary. My father made jelly omelets, the only thing he ever cooked. We ate it but thought that was kind of weird.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My childhood breakfasts were all healthywholegrain cereals like Kashi or shredded wheat with non fat milk. Is it any wonder I was always sneaking butter snacks?

That fish sounds awesome. I have been eating canned fish a lot lately as a mid morning snack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast