Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is ketosis necessary? page

aeriel is offline Junior Member

Is ketosis necessary?

I want to become fat adapted but every time I try I feel miserable for weeks. Right now I am trying to get to a place where I don't crave my old favorites, but can occasionally indulge without binging. I also want to drop about 5lbs. I was eating about 25 carbs a day for 3 weeks. This helped kick the cravings but I was so tired all the time and I'm in opera rehearsal 4 hours a day- I can't feel that tired anymore. I upped my carbs to around 50g and feel a little better, though cravings are a little stronger. If I up my carbs, will I lose my fat burning ability? I'm somewhat active, weights twice a week and walking about 3 hours a week.

5'6
    132lbs

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the book or the free stuff on MDA?

Here ya go:Ketosis in a Low-Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

aeriel is offline Junior Member
    Yes I have I'm just confused on a good carb range to be a fat burner and tip top function without feeling doggy. I think I'm getting confused with information from Atkins.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Dont focus on Ketosis unless you want to challenge yourself, or break a plateau. I'd say up the carbs if your tired, this isn't strictly a weight loss diet, it's a health diet designed to make you an optimal human being. If you are tired all the time, something needs to change. Some days I stay really low carb, and other days I add sweet potatoes to my dinner. You just need to figure out what works for you.

I still have plenty of weight to loose, but I'm determined to use whole nutrition to get there and not quick fixes. Ketosis might get me there quicker, but I know I'll feel better if I up the carbs. You'll still loose weight, just maybe not at the same pace. Keep it under a 100grams and you'll probably be fine.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Unless you have some metabolic problem or are obese, then there's no reason for you to go on a ketogenic diet. Losing/gaining weight is still a matter of calories.

The Scientist is offline Senior Member
    I feel fantastic on either complete ketosis (LOTS of fat, keep the protein moderate to low), or with about 100 grams of carbs each day. If I go somewhere in the middle, it feels like I'm stuck in the gray area between being fully keto-adapted and not at all. I have been in ketosis for about three weeks and and have gotten more lean/muscular than I have ever been. The food gets boring, but the steady energy levels are great. I'll do it until I stop leaning out and then probably test the waters with more carbs around workout to see if I can maintain it that way.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aeriel View Post
    Yes I have I'm just confused on a good carb range to be a fat burner and tip top function without feeling doggy. I think I'm getting confused with information from Atkins.
    The carbohydrate curve works for me.
    How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

I like to stay in the 50-150g range on a day to day basis with some days coming in at the <50g range. And nowadays I have no problem fasting near 24hrs and going for an hour run before breaking fast.

With that said, I gradually moved into it, going from a high carb diet and gradually decreasing my intake and had no carb-flu during the process.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    No.

In my experience, if you focus on satisfaction and calories you can't go wrong. Cutting the carbs can help reduce calories temporarily to drop weight if you need to, but it isn't a necessity.

The Scientist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    Unless you have some metabolic problem or are obese, then there's no reason for you to go on a ketogenic diet. Losing/gaining weight is still a matter of calories.
    That might be true, but being keto-adapted makes it easier for a person to tolerate fewer calories. It has also been clearly shown to better allow nutrient partitioning (burn fat and build muscle at the same time). Calories do matter, but a ketogenic diet changes the amount of calories that your body demands, and also changes your body's willingness to let go of fat. I don't think you have to do it to lose weight, but if you want to finish off the last few pounds, or lose a lot of fat fast, it is hard to beat.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    That might be true, but being keto-adapted makes it easier for a person to tolerate fewer calories. It has also been clearly shown to better allow nutrient partitioning (burn fat and build muscle at the same time). Calories do matter, but a ketogenic diet changes the amount of calories that your body demands, and also changes your body's willingness to let go of fat. I don't think you have to do it to lose weight, but if you want to finish off the last few pounds, or lose a lot of fat fast, it is hard to beat.
    Interesting, is it possible to get som more information about that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast