Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is ketosis necessary? page 2

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by aeriel View Post
    Yes I have I'm just confused on a good carb range to be a fat burner and tip top function without feeling doggy. I think I'm getting confused with information from Atkins.
    Well, I would agree with your initial statement about feeling like crap. Low carbs work. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily the best or that you couldn't do well by doing it another way. Like what Darz said, it's still all about calories.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    I'd say up the carbs if your tired, this isn't strictly a weight loss diet, it's a health diet designed to make you an optimal human being. If you are tired all the time, something needs to change.
    This is one of the things I think people need to distinguish. And I agree. I'm usually not that strict. But I can honestly say, I simply feel A LOT better when I eat foods such as fish all the time vs typical SAD junk.

With that being said, I don't think such is the same as what is required for fat loss. To lose fat, you have to cut calories. Once the fat is gone, you go back to maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    Some days I stay really low carb, and other days I add sweet potatoes to my dinner. You just need to figure out what works for you.
    I do the same thing. I noticed if I do it that way, my carbs just end up being moderate at the most. And on my low carb days, I still feel great because I'm eating great foods such as fish and lots of green veggies or peppers.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Interesting, is it possible to get som more information about that?
    I second that. - Well, to burn fat and build muscle at the same time is a body recomposition - and although it is possible it is extremely hard to get it done properly so I wouldn't consider it, especially in the long erun, and you can also do it on a high carb diet - cause calories are what, in the end, matter- but, in my opinion, you'd be better off either losing(fat) or gaining(muscle) - with no need to go on a ketogenic diet.

The Scientist is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    I second that. - Well, to burn fat and build muscle at the same time is a body recomposition - and although it is possible it is extremely hard to get it done properly so I wouldn't consider it, especially in the long erun, and you can also do it on a high carb diet - cause calories are what, in the end, matter- but, in my opinion, you'd be better off either losing(fat) or gaining(muscle) - with no need to go on a ketogenic diet.
    Look at Jeff Volek's work, particularly his paper in Strength and Conditioning from 2010. I am not allowed to post the PDF, since it requires access through a university (or direct purchase). Here is the important data:

They compared four groups for their change in body composition over 12 weeks

Low fat, no exercise: -3.5kg fat, - 1.4kg muscle

Ketogenic, no exercise: -6.2kg fat, -3.2kg muscle

Low fat, Heavy lifting: -3.5kg fat, +1.8kg muscle

Ketogenic, Heavy lifting: -7.7kg fat, +1.0kg muscle

This demonstrates that nutrient partitioning is not difficult to do, and ketogenic diets clearly win if your main goal is fat loss. The questions this does not answer is if a low carb diet that is not quite low enough to trigger ketosis would be just as effective. I know that I have only been able to get very lean using a ketogenic diet, but of course that is not real data.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I started off roughly at your body comp (120ish, 5'4) and lost 20+ pounds on primal over a year never doing low carb. I like my starchy vegetables way too much, and I've never been a big fan of fat and meat. It's entirely doable. I was at around 150g of carbs daily.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

emmie is offline Senior Member
    This all depends on the person. I eat a ketogenic diet because I am extremely carb sensitive, and my body thrives on this WOE. But most people don't have to eat this way on a regular basis. What's important is to learn what's optimum for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12