Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Osteroporosis page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Osteroporosis

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone successfully cured Osteroporosis? If so, how did you do it? Please include your test numbers and length of time involved.
    Mine is so bad, 2.5 standard deviations, that I'm was walking hip fracture waiting to happen. In fact, being in the lowest 2% of the population, it's something of a miracle it hasn't happened yet. Yes, I'm being very very careful. I take Boneva and a boat-load of calcuim which the doctors told me would cure it, but after 6 years the best reading is that it hasn't gotten worse.
    Today the FDA told us to stop taking Calcium and Vit. D because it does no good. I expect that we didn't take enough Vit. D along with Mg, Vit.s A, D, E, and K2, all of which are necessary to absorb calcium and direct it to the bones. I'm now taking all these, but I'd really like to hear about some success.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-26-2013 at 10:06 AM.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I see an anti-aging physician who warned me years ago to refuse medications (like Boniva) because studies have shown that while it prevents breakdown of bone to some degree, its secondary result is the prevention of bone building. He underlined that the break-down/buildup process is quite a natural process that your body has been doing from the get-go. When the meds interfere with this process, one is left with old, increasingly porous bone which is more likely to break. Sorry for that bad news, but I would think that under the circumstances, you have done well to maintain. My internist, of course, was pushing the meds and the calcium tabs b/c he said I had osteopenia -- however, eating as I do now and w/o their meds, I was told on the last scan (over a year ago) that the osteopenia was gone. I'll have a follow-up this summer and will see how that looks. Wish I had #s to give you, but will ask on the repeat test.

Paleobird Guest
    I had osteopenia as a side effect of chemo. I cant give you numbers but I know that I have completely reversed it and I am back to normal (confirmed by a bone density scan). Lots of meat, dairy, bone broth, bone marrow, and offal in my diet.

I agree with Janie about the meds. I also don't take any supplements but I do get a lot of SoCal sunshine.

Hmmmm. Very Interesting. So you're both sort of recommending that I stop the Boniva and take bone broth. If so I'll proabaly supplement with Ca and it's needed environment.
    Immediately I think - Is it really safe to stop Boniva. I have a mouth full of implants. What if they fall out? I'd rather thought that only the Boniva was holding then in. (I'm a little worried here.)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    I take Boneva and a boat-load of calcuim which the doctors told me would cure it, but after 6 years the best reading is that it hasn't gotten worse.
    Hey, Cryptocode. What's the definition of insanity again?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I had osteopenia. I reversed it by first getting my hormones optimized-- thyroid, estradiol (I'm female and had undetectable levels). I was also very Vitamin D deficient, even while getting plenty of sun in San Diego.

There is a blood(or urine) test to used to measure the rate of bone turnover. That test is called N-telopeptide. This test let me know I was building more bone than I was breaking down.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I have mild osteopenia, and I've heard that calcium supplements do no good, so I only take what's in my multi-vit. (500 mg). I can't take more because calcium has to be 4 hours away from my thyroid hormones, and my T3 is split throughout the day.

However, I've just started adding Strontium, which I've heard good things about. Several women I know have stopped the advance of osteopenia with Strontium.

moonlights is offline Junior Member
    I have osteoporosis - I refused all the heavy duty chemicals (I'm only 30) because the side effects and risks (dental wise etc) were horrific. I'm now getting vitamin d injections and taking cholecalciferol - as an experiment. I'm usually on calcichew d3 forte. I'm told it won't be cured but hopefully won't get worse and may improve alittle.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hey, Cryptocode. What's the definition of insanity again?
    LOL, Yeah! Yeah! Fear is a great defense.

Does anyone have any references to medications (like Boniva) studies have shown that while it prevents breakdown of bone to some degree, its secondary result is the prevention of bone building?

janie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had copies of papers from medical journals given me by the doc but I no longer have them. I remember one discussed the higher incidents of fractures of the arm in elderly women who had been on medication. I'm assuming such info can be found on PubMed or by Googling. I do believe there has been a good bit written about this. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast