Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Osteroporosis page 4

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Watch this and this for some info.

Clinical Reviews - Weigh the risks and benefits....general decrease in hip fracture, but increased risk for femur fractures. There are other side effects of taking fosamax and boniva and other biophosphantes. Most of the clients I see in clinic, their own personal doctors have STOPPED these medications after 5 years usage with no significant benefit. After this 5 year time span, there is significant increased risk for jaw fractures.

Study

2010 Consumer Report Article

No prescribed drug satisfies the fundamental necessities for cells to grow and flourish. Most drugs' job is act as an "end around", their design is to alter a "normal functioning process" to achieve its target goal.

Example: bone density is the main test, you have a low density score they prescribe you a drug that stops the normal process of re-allocating old bone cells so the secondary "bone building" process can continue in a more significant fashion. But here the, quality and health of each bone cell is questionable. In the end, you're rebuilding faulty bone with weaker material. Instead of having strong bone you have chalk.

Talk with your physician first before discontinuing any medications.

In the mean time:

*Rebalance/regulate hormones - healthy fats will help this process
    *Lose excess weight if necessary - reduce some burden/stress on current weakened bone
    *Continue nutritional/dietary ingestion/supplementation
    *Perform weight bearing exercises (only after weight loss is achieved, if needed) - most basic is squats (use a chair or wall for support if needed)
    *If you are following a primal way of eating, I am confident in calcium intake and would emphasis more on K2 supplementation to redirect serum calcium back into the bones. Maintain Vitamin D and Magnesium supplementation to improve CA absorption/metabolism.
    *Maintain proper good quality sleep - this is important time for the body to recharge
    *Try your best not to stress out - stress plays a big role in suppressing the immune system and overworking many other organ systems. You want all your organ systems and your immune system as calm as possible so they can focus on their jobs without extra burden.
    *If appropriate see an Eastern herbalist practitioner and consult on an herbal aid to support health effort goals.

moonlights is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    Actually, at your age you can improve/build new bone. I don't know what caused your osteoporosis and chances of improving depend to a significant degree on what caused osteo. In some women osteo follows pregnancy/breastfeeding, but this form is usually transient. I think that age related, postmenopausal osteo is the most difficult to correct. BTW, we have some former anorexics on the forum - they should know that they are in danger of having an early osteo. I think that the most important thing is to know what was the cause.
    Malabsorbtion due to cancer/chemo/early menopause. Have reversed the hormonal issues now and have regular periods and a normal hormone profile but I still and will always malabsorb nutrients/vitamins. Along with my d injections and calcium supplements I am chronically anaemic and have iron infusions. I take heavy duty prescription supplements for most vitamins and trace elements. I also eat bone broths, plenty of meat, dairy, green veg etc and am gluten/grain free but it's a struggle to absorb anything useful from food so I think building bone will be tough.

Aside from being too young to want to take the chemicals on offer for my osteo (they all rule out being able to have kids and since I've somehow managed to hold on to my ability to have children I don't want to lose it now) I have heard horror stories about side effects from various doctors. My dentist thinks people should be given counseling before being put on them.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    No that sounds like something I can do safely. Jump off a 4" block 10 time a day. I'll at least do that. And light weights. Were those elderly people taking a medication for their osteoporosis?
    I don't think they were, but I can't be sure as it was only a small segment in the program.

Not an expert on the topic, but i think the weight, resistance and impact exercises improve bone mass irrespective of medication.

This is a pdf i just found from the state arthritis organization and it has some good tips and detailed examples of exercises for osteoporosis.
    http://www.arthritisnsw.org.au/wp-co...s-final-08.pdf

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlights View Post
    Malabsorbtion due to cancer/chemo/early menopause. Have reversed the hormonal issues now and have regular periods and a normal hormone profile but I still and will always malabsorb nutrients/vitamins. Along with my d injections and calcium supplements I am chronically anaemic and have iron infusions. I take heavy duty prescription supplements for most vitamins and trace elements. I also eat bone broths, plenty of meat, dairy, green veg etc and am gluten/grain free but it's a struggle to absorb anything useful from food so I think building bone will be tough.

Aside from being too young to want to take the chemicals on offer for my osteo (they all rule out being able to have kids and since I've somehow managed to hold on to my ability to have children I don't want to lose it now) I have heard horror stories about side effects from various doctors. My dentist thinks people should be given counseling before being put on them.
    I hope you'll beat it. You are very young and you seem to do the right things. I know people, much older than you, who corrected their osteo after cancer/chemo. But of course, each person is different. For example, they had breast cancer, it can be different with different forms of cancer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234