Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Osteroporosis page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Would doing some light weight lifting be beneficial ???? and perhaps increase the weights as your bones strengthen? or am I way off track ?????
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Are you all on estrogen therapy?
    No. Especially contraindicated fro people with a history of breast cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Bones need jarring to promote the building process.
    Your body reviews the pattern of behaviour and use, assesses the stresses and impacts and then determines how strong your bones need to be. This is why being in space, no gravity, causes osteoporosis.

The old motto still stands, use it or lose it, going soft and protecting yourself may well have contributed to a worsening of your condition.

Calcium supplementation can be dicy if it is not properly balanced with magnesium, silicate and other cofactors, a nutrient rich diet with a strong focus on bone broths would be far superior to supplementation IMO.
    This. Weight bearing exercise and bone broth.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatisyummy View Post
    Bone building slows with antiresorptives because inhibition of osteoclasts (resorb the bone) also inhibits osteoblasts (build bone), but to a lesser extent. So while you are, indeed, slowing bone building when you take the drugs, you are slowing the loss of bone more, tipping the balance in favor of denser bones.

Folks, be careful. There's a big difference in risk for fracture between people who are osteopenic and osteoporotic. In my (unqualified, not a doctor) opinion, treatment of osteopenia is not warranted. But when you hit that osteoporotic range, things may change. If your T score is not improved on bisphosphonates (Boniva, Fosamax, Reclast, all the same class), you should consider that they are not working for you. There are alternatives.

I'm the type of person that hates even taking Advil. I commend you for looking into nutritional and lifestyle means to address your health. But you definitely owe it to yourself to have very complete information regarding the risks of treating vs. not treating. Obviously tinkering with your body via drugs is something to take very seriously, but I think you need to be realistic and careful about buying into too much hype around side effects that occur very infrequently. That is, you need to really weigh based on data driven considerations more than emotional. Dental side effects should scare you, for example. Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a horrible thing. But hip fractures should also be a considerable cause for concern. They happen more frequently and are certainly not less detrimental to one's quality of life.
    I'm feeling quite stupid here, but what is a T score, in fact what is T, and how is it measured. I doubt mine has ever been measured so even if it is I won't know if it has improved or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Bones need jarring to promote the building process.
    Your body reviews the pattern of behaviour and use, assesses the stresses and impacts and then determines how strong your bones need to be. This is why being in space, no gravity, causes osteoporosis.

I saw a little segment a while ago on an aged care facility and they found the best outcome to minimise fractures was an exercise program and one of the most effective and simple ones was just getting the elderly patients to jump off a 4" block, a few repetitions a day was enough to turnaround the osteporosis in a couple of months.

The old motto still stands, use it or lose it, going soft and protecting yourself may well have contributed to a worsening of your condition.

Calcium supplementation can be dicy if it is not properly balanced with magnesium, silicate and other cofactors, a nutrient rich diet with a strong focus on bone broths would be far superior to supplementation IMO.
    No that sounds like something I can do safely. Jump off a 4" block 10 time a day. I'll at least do that. And light weights. Were those elderly people taking a medication for their osteoporosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Absolutely.

No. Especially contraindicated fro people with a history of breast cancer.

This. Weight bearing exercise and bone broth.
    Done. I'm brewing up batches of bone broth. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fatisyummy View Post
    Bone building slows with antiresorptives because inhibition of osteoclasts (resorb the bone) also inhibits osteoblasts (build bone), but to a lesser extent. So while you are, indeed, slowing bone building when you take the drugs, you are slowing the loss of bone more, tipping the balance in favor of denser bones.

Folks, be careful. There's a big difference in risk for fracture between people who are osteopenic and osteoporotic. In my (unqualified, not a doctor) opinion, treatment of osteopenia is not warranted. But when you hit that osteoporotic range, things may change. If your T score is not improved on bisphosphonates (Boniva, Fosamax, Reclast, all the same class), you should consider that they are not working for you. There are alternatives.

I'm the type of person that hates even taking Advil. I commend you for looking into nutritional and lifestyle means to address your health. But you definitely owe it to yourself to have very complete information regarding the risks of treating vs. not treating. Obviously tinkering with your body via drugs is something to take very seriously, but I think you need to be realistic and careful about buying into too much hype around side effects that occur very infrequently. That is, you need to really weigh based on data driven considerations more than emotional. Dental side effects should scare you, for example. Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a horrible thing. But hip fractures should also be a considerable cause for concern. They happen more frequently and are certainly not less detrimental to one's quality of life.
    Do you have any references or medical studies I can read? Apparently I'm fortunate to just stay the same.

While the antiresorptives, bisphosphonates (Boniva, Fosamax, Reclast, all the same class), prevent the loss of bone density they do not prevent the loss of bone strength and the bones become very fragile. Thus, the longer I take this drug the weaker my bones become. If they are recycling bone material at all, weight lifting is a must, and also bone shocks (jumping). Bones structurally are an amorphous (non-crystalline) solid material like glass. And like glass they are strong in compression but very weak in tension and torsion.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlights View Post
    I have osteoporosis - I refused all the heavy duty chemicals (I'm only 30) because the side effects and risks (dental wise etc) were horrific. I'm now getting vitamin d injections and taking cholecalciferol - as an experiment. I'm usually on calcichew d3 forte. I'm told it won't be cured but hopefully won't get worse and may improve alittle.
    Actually, at your age you can improve/build new bone. I don't know what caused your osteoporosis and chances of improving depend to a significant degree on what caused osteo. In some women osteo follows pregnancy/breastfeeding, but this form is usually transient. I think that age related, postmenopausal osteo is the most difficult to correct. BTW, we have some former anorexics on the forum - they should know that they are in danger of having an early osteo. I think that the most important thing is to know what was the cause.
    Last edited by anna5; 02-27-2013 at 05:08 PM.

fatisyummy is offline Member
    While the antiresorptives, bisphosphonates (Boniva, Fosamax, Reclast, all the same class), prevent the loss of bone density they do not prevent the loss of bone strength and the bones become very fragile. Thus, the longer I take this drug the weaker my bones become. If they are recycling bone material at all, weight lifting is a must, and also bone shocks (jumping). Bones structurally are an amorphous (non-crystalline) solid material like glass. And like glass they are strong in compression but very weak in tension and torsion.
    This is not supported by bone biopsies subjected to mechanical stress in the laboratory. Or the clinical studies that show they reduce incidence of fracture.
    Last edited by fatisyummy; 02-27-2013 at 05:29 PM.

fatisyummy is offline Member
    I'm feeling quite stupid here, but what is a T score, in fact what is T, and how is it measured. I doubt mine has ever been measured so even if it is I won't know if it has improved or not.
    That would be the measure of your bone density. You stated yours was -2.5.

janie is online now Senior Member
    So agree on bone broths, weight bearing exercises. To answer your question, Cryptocode, yes, I do take estrogen but only the prescribed bioidentical variety. There are a # of anti-aging docs in CA. It might be worth investigating to learn if hormone replacement would help you too.

Traditional medical literature will tell you that the meds are fine, but I don't put much trust in the big pharma owned FDA to protect me, and, sadly, anything contrary to their point of view does not get much press.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast