Thread: Workout Suggestions for the time strapped Dad. page

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member

Workout Suggestions for the time strapped Dad.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was wondering if anyone faces this challenge or something similiar. I drive about 750 miles a week for work and have 2 beautiful kiddies under 3 at home so going to a gym is out of the question. I have no choice but to workout b/c if I don't I get moody and stressed out. I injured my back and thanks to a little dose of PTSD from my deployments overseas, if I sit still too long or become too inactive my fibromyalgia flares up. With this in mind I had to adjust my workout routine to maximize what little time I do have. Since I do not have the ability to go to the gym or have a consistent, solid workout at home I have decided on training throughout the day. I shoot for a certain number of reps per day and will try my best to knock sets out every 45 minutes to an hour. I use the weekends as for my rest and I am about add sprints to my Sundays. I focus solely on body weights but will occasionally add a few weights here and there to change things up.

Typical workout on an average day
    Push-ups Variation - 150-175 per day
    Squats - 125-150 per day
    Dips - 50-75 per day
    Sit-ups - 125-200 per day
    Stairs (5 flights) 3-4x per day
    Pull-ups 50-75 per day
    Heavy Bag (twice per week)

Does anyone else have little to mo time to workout and also any suggestions on what I could add to break up the monotony? I love my workouts and they keep me energized throughout the day but I am always looking for things to add. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    There was a great post on fitness for busy parents a few weeks back. Definitely worth the read.

How to Incorporate the Primal Blueprint into a Busy Family and Work Life | Mark's Daily Apple

That is a good article and I have read it a few times but I was more curious to see what other ideas folks may have. I would love to have workout equipment like he does but I work out of multiple offices.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    There are some good bodyweight exercises/routines over on nerdfitness.com. Also since you mentioned kiddos I'd say incorporate them into your routine when you can (if you don't already). I don't have kids, but when I'm around my friends' kids I am amazed at how quickly I can work up a sweat by simple things like pressing them overhead, swinging them kettlebell-style, or holding them on outstretched arms so they can "fly" like Superman. Plus don't overlook the physical benefits to getting down on the ground and crawling around with them. Once they are a bit older you can play things like tag or have hula-hooping contests (great for your core area). Hope that at least gave you one or two new ideas to try!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
    That is a good article and I have read it a few times but I was more curious to see what other ideas folks may have. I would love to have workout equipment like he does but I work out of multiple offices.
    Can you keep a couple kettlebells in the trunk of your car?

That may not be a bad idea. I have thought about packing a bag with various weights and bands to keep with me when I travel.

Mary Pickford

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
    Since I do not have the ability to go to the gym or have a consistent, solid workout at home I have decided on training throughout the day. I shoot for a certain number of reps per day and will try my best to knock sets out every 45 minutes to an hour. I use the weekends as for my rest and I am about add sprints to my Sundays. I focus solely on body weights but will occasionally add a few weights here and there to change things up.

Typical workout on an average day
    Push-ups Variation - 150-175 per day
    Squats - 125-150 per day
    Dips - 50-75 per day
    Sit-ups - 125-200 per day
    Stairs (5 flights) 3-4x per day
    Pull-ups 50-75 per day
    Heavy Bag (twice per week)
    You should be able to manage with just body weight and no kit by varying the position of your body. I have started doing something similar to you in that I'll do a set of dips/press ups/whatever when I get a spare couple of minutes at any time.

When you're at home, perhaps you could use the youngsters as extra weight, as in squats with a child in your arms. This should cut down the number you can manage in a set and therefore time taken too. I expect press ups, sorry push-ups with a youngster on your back will make them harder as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the children would actually find it fun. Just a couple of thoughts.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Man, sounds like you're in good shape by the amount and frequency of bodyweight work you're doing. I only do bodyweight workouts (just did my first one-arm pushup on the ground this week!), though when I'm stressed, I need to lower the workout intensity a bit. But the one thing that I keep constant which really helps is walking...long walks in the woods whenever I can, with my kids, or around the neighborhood. Walking seems to keep me calmer. I know it's probably going to be tough to fit into your schedule, but maybe a really early morning (as long as you're not cutting into your sleep!), or park not as close to your destinations, or spend the resting parts of your workouts walking...

Thank you all for the guidance and suggestions. I made a few minor adjustments this weekend that should be easy to incorporate at the office but if someone walks by then they'll think I'm either fighting myself or just crazy. Over the weekend I ran across an old Army buddy of mine and we decided to do a little training. He's really into Cross Fit and I would love to join a gym I just don't have the time. We did a few exercises and I loved it but what really got me going is when we started to grapple.

In my golden years, I helped train my unit in hand to hand combat. Mostly Jui Jitsu but it reminded that while I want to be in the best physical condition possible while not sacrificing any more time, I needed to add some fighting to my workouts. Not necessarily Fight Club but the movements. Punching, kicking, and kneeing folks in the face. To feel the fluidity of these movements adds confidence and is a killer core workout. Another big thing is if a situation arises where I must defend myself or my family then I will feel more comfortable and be able to not hold back or second guess myself.

Mary Pickford

mikesmithm2 is offline Junior Member
    First of all, if you've never exercised, you should always consult your physician before starting a new workout routine. Here are a few tips on how to get a workout routine, and what you should know about it.