Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quest Bars - Please tell me I can keep them! :-) page 2

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You can keep them and eat them, of course, much like I still love my artificial sweeteners. 20% and all, and we're all adults and able to make our own food choices here, just don't fool yourself into thinking they're anything than a candy bar.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Paleobird Guest
    No, you can't keep them. They are being confiscated effective immediately by the Primal Police. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Now hand them over.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No, you can't keep them. They are being confiscated effective immediately by the Primal Police. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Now hand them over.
    Youj know what the police are said to do with all the consumable stuff they confiscate!

Quote Originally Posted by BoldAsLove View Post
    Hey all,

My last post was also about a product (a sale on Vibrams) but I swear I'm not hocking merchandise or spamming or whatever. I just purchased the new Quest protein bar flavor - chocolate chip cookie dough - and was interested in having MDA weigh in on the ingredients/macros. I'd likely be using these (1) for breakfast on weekends when I'm running out the door; or (2) when I'm having a serious chocolate craving, but my body could use the extra protein rather than going for a 70%+ dark chocolate bar. So, I'd say probably about 2x/week - not a diet staple.

So what do we think, not totally primal but safe enough? My 20% is typically spent with some nice craft beer on Friday/Saturdays, so I'm hoping for more than a "it can be your 20%" answer. Thanks!!!

Choc Chip Cookie Dough - Box of 12 - Original Line

Ingredients - Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate and Milk Protein), Isomalto-Oligosaccarides (100% Natural Probiotic Fiber), Almonds, Water, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Erythritol.

Macros - 190 cals, 70 cals from fat, 8g fat, 3g sat fat, 21g protein, 21g carbs, 17g dietary fiber.

By the way ... these are AMAZING. Pop them in the microwave for 20s and it is seriously like eating a warm chocolate cookie.
    i try to only eat them after a run or when i know i'm going to be around a bunch of non primal folk eating cake & drinking beer..they help keep me satisfied around the "real junk" & give me that "ahh yay a reward" feeling when i open one & munch on it after a race. i do find it easier for me to just break down & eat a quest bar & be satisfied, than trying to eat almonds or nuts by themselves...i have NO concept of portion control with nuts & for me, eating just a handful of cashews is just asking for a binge..
    but omg..the cookie dough ones are freaking incredible. i've seriously had to talk myself out of buying a full box like 9 times since they came out..i KNOW i will abuse them if i have that many laying around...i've been keeping myself busy all day at work to keep me from remembering i left one of the coconut cashew (my favorite) ones in the kitchen here at my office..they're good, & i think as far as bars go they are your best bet..but i can see me going crazy with them, so i keep them hiden & snack on veggies or meat instead.

shoumart0 is offline Banned
    It has next to no chocolate in it.

NeoSapien is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    just don't fool yourself into thinking they're anything than a candy bar.
    Lolwut? I think I'd reach for one of these over a Snickers bar. Not quite sure how that comparison is valid in the slightest. Once again, the food purity police are out in force.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley.thepie.rat View Post
    i do find it easier for me to just break down & eat a quest bar & be satisfied, than trying to eat almonds or nuts by themselves...i have NO concept of portion control with nuts & for me, eating just a handful of cashews is just asking for a binge..
    For just this problem they make measuring devices. Weigh out a serving in the lid of the jar you intend to carry them in, and make a note of what that size serving looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    For just this problem they make measuring devices. Weigh out a serving in the lid of the jar you intend to carry them in, and make a note of what that size serving looks like.
    I measure everything..but self control is hard when you have a huge jar of cashews...so its easier for me to just eat one quest bar, than try to control & trust myself to count out & eat only a few nuts.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I'm not going to demand that you eat steak for breakfast, but honestly, the Quest bars look too manufactured to fit into 80%.

I would put them into my "non-cheat, good" 20% category, mostly because of the whey powder. The meaning of "non-cheat good 20%" is open to interpretation.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldAsLove View Post
    Hey all,

My last post was also about a product (a sale on Vibrams) but I swear I'm not hocking merchandise or spamming or whatever. I just purchased the new Quest protein bar flavor - chocolate chip cookie dough - and was interested in having MDA weigh in on the ingredients/macros. I'd likely be using these (1) for breakfast on weekends when I'm running out the door; or (2) when I'm having a serious chocolate craving, but my body could use the extra protein rather than going for a 70%+ dark chocolate bar. So, I'd say probably about 2x/week - not a diet staple.

So what do we think, not totally primal but safe enough? My 20% is typically spent with some nice craft beer on Friday/Saturdays, so I'm hoping for more than a "it can be your 20%" answer. Thanks!!!

Choc Chip Cookie Dough - Box of 12 - Original Line

Ingredients - Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate and Milk Protein), Isomalto-Oligosaccarides (100% Natural Probiotic Fiber), Almonds, Water, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Erythritol.

Macros - 190 cals, 70 cals from fat, 8g fat, 3g sat fat, 21g protein, 21g carbs, 17g dietary fiber.

By the way ... these are AMAZING. Pop them in the microwave for 20s and it is seriously like eating a warm chocolate cookie.
    Hmmmmm, processed junk and READY IN just 30 seconds! You can fool yourself all you like, but the golden standard is a list of foods on Mark Sisson's "what I eat list". If the 30 second processed cookies don't appear on Mark's food list, then I humbly suggest it's because it doesn't meet the requirement of being healthy or whole foods.

Now, no one here is saying you need to reach for the golden standard. Then again, there are a lot of people who do not meet their weight goals and that's fine -- because some are not really willing to give up the processed foods, beer, alcohol and anything else that inhibits weight loss. Cause and effect ....... /lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast