Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is better...? for constipation page 2

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Nuts and seeds work for me.
    But the trick is you have to eat a LOT.
    In the US, macadamia nuts come in 7 ounce jars. Eat half a jar one day, eat half a jar the next day. Wait a day, start again.
    Also works with peanuts. Eat an 8 ounce jar over 2 days. [yes I know peanuts aren't primal, but IMO the movement is more important.]
    Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds also work. Make sure it's only the nut meats, not the hard shell. The shells have sharp edges, eek.
    Flax seeds are pretty tried and true. 1 teaspoon along with breakfast, lunch, dinner, for two days. Stop for a day or so and start up again.

If someone tries this and it works, let me know.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Oh no, not a fecal transplant Hilarious. I've struggled with the same thing and found a few things to be really helpful.
    - Cut out all forms of dairy. Casien intollerence can cause consiptation and dairy itself can be very constipating
    - Take a magnesium citrate supplement. I use natural calm. Magnesium deficiency can cause constipation as well
    - Give yourself time to "go" in the morning. You need to ensure your parasympathetic system is activated so spending some time with a black coffee and quiet meditation or gentle yoga each morning can help. Bowel motility is VERY connected to our brains.
    - Keep taking good quality probiotics and eating fermented food. They won't solve your issues but they can help.

Hope this helpes

campagman is offline Junior Member
    I find flaxseed is good. I am now trying to control my dose as too much can cause a problem.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I typed some pretty extensive posts on what I did to heal my years of IBS and eliminate my chronic constipation here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread62278.html

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I had the same problem, very hard stools. Even my G.I. Doctor calls this constipation but it is correctly 'costiveness'. Irregular stools are constipation. I found several things helpful.
    1. Magnesium Citrate - started at 1600 mg, now 800mg.
    2. Potassium - the author of "Fiber Menace" says this is the biggest causal factor in constipation.
    3. Papaya or papaya enzymes is very loosening, others have success with prunes or appricots.
    4. Regularity. Establish a regular time to poop and be very committed to it. An hour if necessary. Your body will adjust to this time. When your body tries to eliminate at another time and you fail to recognise it, the stool usually becomes impacted and hardened behind the anus, and thus impossible to eliminate. Until your body is regular, be very sensitive to all anus signals and respond immediately. This period of body adjustment may take 6 months or longer.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another vote here for magnesium citrate. 600 mgs morning and night keeps me regular.
    I also agree with what Meghanner said about giving yourself time to go in the morning, with some quiet time and black coffee. If I'm rushed in the morning, it just won't happen.

Here are a few other things I've found to be helpful:
    Supplement with gelatin - it pulls water into the bowel, which helps to soften things.
    Castor oil capsules.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12